Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say Shinden suita for uraoshi and takashima for micro bevel, assuming that Shinden suita is on the harder side.

I finally find a utility knife I really like. Fujiwara Teruyasu Denka 195mm gyuto. Stainless clad AS steel. I love the blade! feel very hard & stiff with nice weight(200g)! it Takes and holds a wicked edge! No wedging, good food release, and no food reactions. F&F is way better than I expect, no gap or stick out tang on handle, no high & low spot on the wide bevel.

I have been waiting for these to come back into stock from a local retailer, I got the heads up on Sunday night. And it arrived today.
Konosuke White #2 Honyaki
I've wanted to try one of these Wa/Western handles for ages. I like it.
F4E0DC1E-BBB4-4EF2-860F-0D4EBA8BEBDC_zpsatx9t2zc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
BA40DC45-206A-4ABF-93BF-4E6D2DDD37C4_zpsryhv5ef1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Saw it on Leigh's twitter post. Looks awesome. Let us know how it compares to Mizuno and Sakai Takayuki honyaki, would you?

Huw, that is one beautiful knife! I want to try Konosuke Honyaki for a long time. However, The mirror polish finished is a big headache for me to maintain it......

Huw, that is one beautiful knife! I want to try Konosuke Honyaki for a long time. However, The mirror polish finished is a big headache for me to maintain it......

It's a great knife, a lot more nimble than the Mizuno

I agree about maintaining mirror polish, after I've used it a bit I'll likely switch to an 800 grit wet/dry finish. That's what I've done with my Mizuno

Saw it on Leigh's twitter post. Looks awesome. Let us know how it compares to Mizuno and Sakai Takayuki honyaki, would you?

Will do, I'm enjoying it so far. It's a bit smaller than what I'm used yo

I agree about maintaining mirror polish, after I've used it a bit I'll likely switch to an 800 grit wet/dry finish. That's what I've done with my Mizuno

Is 800 grit about the grit level at which knife blades start to look mirror polished? I'd just like to know, since I'm thinking of polishing one.

Erik Fritz JS
255 mm forged 52100 triple quench triple temper.
He is one extremely talented maker that we should keep an eye on.

Erik Fritz JS
255 mm forged 52100 triple quench triple temper.
He is one extremely talented maker that we should keep an eye on.

I agree. He has a few things he's working on, but even as they are, he does great work. I find I use mine a lot. It's a great "use and don't worry about it" knife. That's a compliment, for those who might not be sure.

Oh geez, I'm really seriously trying not to buy anymore knives here. This does not make it easy

My first... :knife:
Also a Gesshin Ginga gyuto & Uraku petty arrived for the parents for Christmas, but everyone knows what those look like! This was a gift to myself as a first knife, tosagata bocho rehandled by Jon:

0jMNGz8.jpg

I promised myself not to fall in love with a knife, based on everyone's tragic experiences here... :justkidding:
I can safely say I've already failed. Our wedding will be early next year, if anyone is in Melbourne at that time you're invited! :laugh:

On a side note, as a newbie, I was surprised at the smell of the kurouchi - it has a strong, distinct smoky smell... smells like something specific, I can't quite put my finger on what though!

My first... :knife:
Also a Gesshin Ginga gyuto & Uraku petty arrived for the parents for Christmas, but everyone knows what those look like! This was a gift to myself as a first knife, tosagata bocho rehandled by Jon:

[image]

I promised myself not to fall in love with a knife, based on everyone's tragic experiences here... :justkidding:
I can safely say I've already failed. Our wedding will be early next year, if anyone is in Melbourne at that time you're invited! :laugh:

On a side note, as a newbie, I was surprised at the smell of the kurouchi - it has a strong, distinct smoky smell... smells like something specific, I can't quite put my finger on what though!
That's a clean looking Tosagata bocho. Decent stamping and pretty respectable bevel. I like mine a lot...it's not my most practical knife shape, but definitely no slouch. I highly recommend polishing off the bead-blasted bevel finish, or at least smoothing it down a bit:
LwHUi4n.jpg

I need to rehandle mine and do some choil rounding. Yours looks good...is the spine rounded a little?

Back