Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang, I missed those. When did he start forging damascus ?

I thought he did a full set of Damascus for a member here a while back. Wasn't it Chef Niloc or am I thinking about another awesome set of knives?

He put up 3 or 4 damascus pieces in the past 2 weeks. $1200-2000 or so per piece

Just took delivery of a Masamoto Tsukiji Honyaki Yanagiba 300mm made with White 2 steel. Feels absolutely amazing in the hand. Still working on polishing it to a mirror finish.

2JkWkg5.jpg

oATLVjY.jpg

Masamoto looks really sweet. I never felt the SoHonten ones had much 'soul' i guess, maybe i'm just crazy. But the Tsukiji knives always seem to have a bit more character.

The Sohonten ones may not have a lot of 'soul', but man do they work.

I say and think stupid things all the time. If you weren't a lefty I would say buy a yanagiba and cut some fish and have a great ******* time. ****, if you weren't a lefty I would loan you mine.

Life is hard for yall.

Sohonten Masamoto single bevels are the industry standard for a reason.

I am out for the evening, didn't mean to make you feel badly, mostly wanted to have you try something awesome.

Just got my 2nd and 3rd japanese knives

Petty - 6 inch, 46 layers VG 10 Damascus
Gyuto - Mizu Yaki Black Finish, Blue Steel 2, Kurouchi

QkLUPrX.jpg

no worries! yes, being lefty was all fine until i got into knives... even the double bevels aren't set up for me!
I say and think stupid things all the time. If you weren't a lefty I would say buy a yanagiba and cut some fish and have a great ******* time. ****, if you weren't a lefty I would loan you mine.

Life is hard for yall.

Sohonten Masamoto single bevels are the industry standard for a reason.

I am out for the evening, didn't mean to make you feel badly, mostly wanted to have you try something awesome.

Well after almost 2 years it is here and I am pleased. Off to work to give it a workout. Catcheside 230mm ladder San Mai 01 core.
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1422547716.500048.jpg

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1422623792.080275.jpg
Not in my hands, but I got the email this morning. Now when Randy finishes the Midway run I will have the line knife set to rule them all!

Finally my Watanabe has arrived:

IMG_5487_crop_zps755b30d7.jpg

IMG_5478_crop_zps0761b1bc.jpg

On day latter and a picture I also need to post in the tread: My favorite color is BLUE!

IMG_5501_crop_zps4d4194f7.jpg

Just got in my Dave Martell Nakiri. First day of heavy prep at the restaurant im in love!
szGtP1i.jpg

My jaw-dropping-amazing Andy Billipp gyuto arrived today - I will take some photos tomorrow. Sorry for a photo-less rant, I just had to share the joy :)

My jaw-dropping-amazing Andy Billipp gyuto arrived today - I will take some photos tomorrow. Sorry for a photo-less rant, I just had to share the joy :)

Enjoy! I'm in awe, every time I use mine.

A few more this week:

The cheapest carbon I could find in EU: Tojiro Shirogami Santoku; I need this one to complete the switch from EP to water stones. I also want to test total abuse of the carbon steel knives: I want to test acute edges with bones and similar, I want to see what happens if I leave it in the sink/wet counter top, thinning, forcing patina with different methods etc...

The knife came with a decent edge, but the finish was terrible. The blade was not that bad, but the handle was just awful. After going through a few sheets of sand paper it is much better ;) But at least it has buffalo horn ferrule:

_Santoku_zps7dc9889a.jpg

This one arrived today: a gift to my friend as I know he will never buy Japanese knife: Tojiro Shirogami Gyuto 240

On this one the handle was much better finished but unfortunately with plastic ferrule. But the blade was just terrible. It had the worst sharpness that I have ever seen on a new knife, counting also 5 EUR knives from local grocery. It also had a big hollow spot in the profile near the hell. Fortunately nothing the stones cannot fix. I just finished with it and it cuts just great now. Also the profile is fixed so my friend will be very happy. He will still need to spend some time on the handle with sand paper but at least now it is cutting well.

IMG_5510_crop_zps229f3d6f.jpg

How do you experts comment on the edge profile - that is OOTB before sharpening:

IMG_5517_crop_zpsf4b59f80.jpg

If you're referencing the bottom picture, that would be the grind or heel geometry. The picture above shows the knife's profile.

Geometry looks a bit thick behind the edge, but the profile looks nice (to me).

Cheers

If you're referencing the bottom picture, that would be the grind or heel geometry. The picture above shows the knife's profile.

Geometry looks a bit thick behind the edge, but the profile looks nice (to me).

Cheers

Thanks for the info.

How would you rate my Watanabe grind:

IMG_5478_zps13d08827.jpg

And indeed I still need to work a bit on my knife vocabulary...and sharpening skills, and cutting technic, but hey, I am getting there ;) The Tojiro Gyuto is scary sharp after today's sharpening :)

That looks nice!

I love mine. As to the other part, we're all learning;)

Latest posts

Back