Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beauty! I got a nakiri from him and it's one of my favorites. Is that linden/lime wood? Looks like a similar block to mine

Some new damascus Carter's.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
A Prsian neck, a wabocho, a nakiri and a gyuto.

Joyless, I found the tall tip of my masashi 240 to be my least favorite aspect. Too much drag through horizontal cuts on onions. Putting a very acute edge has helped the matter, and the steel has handled it well.

Bhakti Sa 8.5 in ladder damascus with spalted mango.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Rader/Asai collaboration 170mm nakiri with stainless damascus and maple burl.
image.jpg

I like that knife A LOT, Chuck. Very Maumasi, and that's a Damned good thing, if you ask me.

I like looking at it as a bit of a regional style that has been influenced by all of the big guys - Rader, Maumasi, Lisch, and of course Kramer.

I want one from all of them, but only have my Rader, which is my prize piece.

I like that knife A LOT, Chuck. Very Maumasi, and that's a Damned good thing, if you ask me.

I like looking at it as a bit of a regional style that has been influenced by all of the big guys - Rader, Maumasi, Lisch, and of course Kramer.

I want one from all of them, but only have my Rader, which is my prize piece.

I'll just leave this here......

Maumasi is in my opinion one of the few makers that can challange HHH for pure beauty. That is beautiful

yeah, completely agree that Randy's making excellent stuff (along with his son). For example.....
that's blue #2 steel, shigefusa profile, randy jr. layered steel, african blackwood and carbon handle.

Haas gyuto by hans beernink, on Flickr

Ok, so this is dumb, but I have been thinking about the Rader/Kramer/Maumasi/Lisch similarities, and just felt like it got twisted somewhere, so here goes... As far as I remember it:

Mareko and I are friends, and through his progression, I've been bugging him about everything from influence to artistry to advice on which wood to use...and from what I can recall, Mareko worked with Bob Kramer for about three years, learned a ton (including damascus), and rented space next to Dave Lisch, in Dave's school. I remember that they bounced ideas off each other, and that Dave used to do completely different handles until Mareko came along...so take it for what it's worth. The similarities are a result of Rader teaching some stuff to Dave, Dave teaching Mareko some stuff, Mareko teaching Dave about handles, edge thinness, etc, and of course Bob is there, as an influence on Maumasi's work, purely because he is a wealth of knowledge, and he apprenticed under him for three or so years.
Anyways, if you ask any of the guys in the industry, they don't tend to care so much about who taught whom, but rather with whom they bounced ideas off of, and shared their knowledge. It's basically a big knowledge exchange, which is great for all of us, because it makes everybody up their game and make a better and more incredible piece for the end user.
Ok, rant over. :)

Ok, so this is dumb, but I have been thinking about the Rader/Kramer/Maumasi/Lisch similarities, and just felt like it got twisted somewhere, so here goes... As far as I remember it:

Mareko and I are friends, and through his progression, I've been bugging him about everything from influence to artistry to advice on which wood to use...and from what I can recall, Mareko worked with Bob Kramer for about three years, learned a ton (including damascus), and rented space next to Dave Lisch, in Dave's school. I remember that they bounced ideas off each other, and that Dave used to do completely different handles until Mareko came along...so take it for what it's worth. The similarities are a result of Rader teaching some stuff to Dave, Dave teaching Mareko some stuff, Mareko teaching Dave about handles, edge thinness, etc, and of course Bob is there, as an influence on Maumasi's work, purely because he is a wealth of knowledge, and he apprenticed under him for three or so years.
Anyways, if you ask any of the guys in the industry, they don't tend to care so much about who taught whom, but rather with whom they bounced ideas off of, and shared their knowledge. It's basically a big knowledge exchange, which is great for all of us, because it makes everybody up their game and make a better and more incredible piece for the end user.
Ok, rant over. :)

It's clear to see that these guys all influenced each other, I like it. Thanks for that info Tom.

Back