Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not very New, in fact I've had it for 16 years, but I just found this little nostalgic gem while cleaning out my basement post flood.
I've never used it, though it has been used. I missed Orientation because I decided to make a pit stop in Niagara Falls and enjoy a couple beers with the scenery. Figured I might not get the opportunity again. I was moving from St Louis to Montpellier and took a nice long road trip. Long because I was using a AAA Trip map. No navigation in the cars back then.

Because I missed Orientation, and I guess they ran out of knives, I got this used one. Oh well. Definitely great memories though. Funny how much has changed in such a little time span- GPS, navigation, internet, food scene and culinary trends

20151016_111216_zps2m39sgni.jpg
20151016_111237_zps2gmknein.jpg

Not very New, in fact I've had it for 16 years, but I just found this little nostalgic gem while cleaning out my basement post flood.
I've never used it, though it has been used. I missed Orientation because I decided to make a pit stop in Niagara Falls and enjoy a couple beers with the scenery. Figured I might not get the opportunity again. I was moving from St Louis to Montpellier and took a nice long road trip. Long because I was using a AAA Trip map. No navigation in the cars back then.

Because I missed Orientation, and I guess they ran out of knives, I got this used one. Oh well. Definitely great memories though. Funny how much has changed in such a little time span- GPS, navigation, internet, food scene and culinary trends

20151016_111216_zps2m39sgni.jpg
20151016_111237_zps2gmknein.jpg

You know you have to use it now, bring it to work and take it through a full day.

After many years using high carbon stainless steel and reactive carbon Sabatiers I decided to investigate options from the other side of the Pacific, namely japanese made kitchen knives. Always been fascinated by the Samurai sword culture so this was a natural progression.
I've bought and returned several blades, namely a 210 Richmond Laser in AS steel, 210 and 240 W#2 Gesshin Kagekiyo's so I have a fairly good idea of what these knives are about.
I've read a LOT of posts bashing the Teruyasu Fujiwara blades due to F&F issues and have seen the photos of the Western handled pass around which I think really got the ball rolling so to speak. I wanted a Wa handle so this was a non issue. The HT of the W#1 was intriguing but I wasn't willing to pay the high price from a distributor so contacted Fujiwara-san directly.
Many have said its a crap shoot ordaining direct from Japan, that the communication is less than stellar and many feel its a risk not taking. I would agree to some extent regarding a few of the criticisms, namely the communication. It sometimes took several days to get a response. The key was to be civil, patient and explain clearly what I wanted. After 50+ emails (no joke) and 3 months of communication I finally received the knives I wanted.
I wanted lightweight knife with a machi and an eased spine. I'm not sure if Fujiwara-san eases all his Nishiji blades now but mine were nicely smoothed and rounded so much that its hard to see the core steel.
The first knife he made for me was over 200g so this was a non starter. The second had a 49mm heel height and 105g. He forgot I wanted a machi so made a 3rd knife and this had 44mm heel height. Even though i was looking for one gyuto I decide to take the 2nd and 3rd knives as they were significantly different in design.
The knives arrived within 3 days via Express mail, nicely packaged and presented.

I'll have custom handles installed at some point.

Top is the 105g 210 Gyuto with 49mm heel height. Cutting edge is exactly 211mm.

Bottom is the 125g 210 Gyuto with 44mm heel height. Cutting edge 210mm. This one also has a machi.

Here are the choil shots.

49mm

44mm

Finally a photo of the nicely eased spines. Hard to see the core steel on these blades. 49mm on the left.

Some great knives and some great information on how to communicate with Fujiwara. Am curious though, did your level of customization cost you anything over his standard cost for the knives?

This was a gift for my brother but just received this Tanaka ginsan from James at knives and stones. I gotta say, this is a very attractive knife and it cuts well too.

6a3e3e.jpeg

For sure one of the best bangs for the buck out there.

Awesome knives Corrado. I definitely can see myself purchasing a 240mm at some point.

This was a gift for my brother but just received this Tanaka ginsan from James at knives and stones. I gotta say, this is a very attractive knife and it cuts well too.

6a3e3e.jpeg

For sure one of the best bangs for the buck out there.

Very nice. I really like what James is doing over at K&S. He's bringing some nice knives and great values to market.

It's been a while since I posted anything in this thread, so I guess can share few shots of custom Cris Anderson 200mm gyuto that arrived few days ago.

Honyaki blade is made from W2 (not to confuse with white#2). Hamon is pretty crazy on this one, but I was too lazy to clean patina, so check Cris picture on Fb (Ferry's gyuto on the left, mine on the right).

I asked for a less flashy handle design, so we ended up with Bog Oak and 165 years old iron spacer. With pinch grip that new handle style feels just like a normal WA handle in hand, but IMO looks much better.

This one and Ferry's gyuto are what Cris called 'extra-heavy' models with thick spine and very aggressive tapering.

Not sure what I like more, the saya or the knife itself. The simple design and great execution of that saya makes me using it all the times, instead of just putting the knife on magnetic rack and throwing saya on the shelf.

And a family shot with a smaller blade that I got from Cris earlier, but haven't yet made a handle (hence no patina on it).

One of the best knives I've had or tried.

INSANE!!!! does this guy have a website?

Confession:
I always check this thread if i see the last post was from Pen Tiger, Schanop or Von Blewitt
Peace!
Matteo

Here is my latest buy. Akifusa with rosewooden handle.
True laser with rounded choil and heel.

Nice knife! Do I see correctly that spine is not straight but slightly concave in profile?

Tansu Knives western gyuto. 1084/15N20 damascus. Stabilized amboyna burl handle with a brass bolster. Mert's knives just keep getting better and better. Just got it yesterday, so I haven't had time to use it enough to comment on geometry or profile.

IMG_6186.jpg

IMG_6189.jpg

IMG_6188.jpg

I'm looking fwd to getting my Tansu back from Mert. I came very close to pulling the trigger on that on as well. Such a stunning knife

Takamura Uchigumo 270, after a long search I found one,arguably my most lusted after japanese blade, she is on her way and will be my new best friend

6xow3o635

Back