Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toyama 270 gyuto

IMG_1991_lr.jpg

It took a while but I somehow managed to complete the set. Kato 210 gyutos (KU, kasumi standard, and damascus standard). Marble “Zero Gravity” knife stand by Chef Duy. Thanks, Chef Duy for such a wonderful stand. Special shout out to my bro, Steve (pd7077).

BRcvwED.jpg

Those knives are beautiful. And that’s a knife stand? How do they stand like that!?

masashi sld 240
this thing is tall and stupid thin behind the edge, basically a gyuto cleaver with the most laserish usable tip. i dont care for the profile but i can easily adjust to it and/or alter it.
loving the handle, it's been my unicorn handle forever. d shape burnt chestnut. but i must admit, i still think the 'best quality' handle i've had was an upgraded keyaki octagon from watanabe.

20180605_173759_zps9m4qdpwh.jpg~original

20180605_174002_zpssadmektg.jpg~original

Nice Danzo hooked me up with the 210 of this and I Love it! How’s the food release with yours?

btbyrd, how is the grind on the sukenari? looks a lot like a thinner KS but way more asymmetric.

The grind is nice. Looks more asymmetric than it feels, if that makes sense. No steerage through hard stuff, and good performance cutting product horizontally (parallel to the board). And the ZDP is stiff enough that there's very little flex even though the blade is on the longer side. I attached a choil shot of the R2 210, which has a similar grind. As you can see, it's also pretty dang thin behind the edge. There's a lot of core steel exposed.

They're not quite lasers because of their moderately thick spines, but are laser-y toward the edge for sure. The convex grind and thickness at the spine gives the blades good food release for their thinness. They like to cut potatoes.

I'm curious how the less expensive, even thinner hairline versions perform.

The grind is nice. Looks more asymmetric than it feels, if that makes sense. No steerage through hard stuff, and good performance cutting product horizontally (parallel to the board). And the ZDP is stiff enough that there's very little flex even though the blade is on the longer side. I attached a choil shot of the R2 210, which has a similar grind. As you can see, it's also pretty dang thin behind the edge. There's a lot of core steel exposed.

They're not quite lasers because of their moderately thick spines, but are laser-y toward the edge for sure. The convex grind and thickness at the spine gives the blades good food release for their thinness. They like to cut potatoes.

I'm curious how the less expensive, even thinner hairline versions perform.

Nice grind there.

Just to clarify...stiffness isn't really a factor of what kind of steel is used. It's determined in some part by geometry of the grind (diamond, v, convexity, etc)...but more so by pure thickness of steel. Your blade is most likely more stiff because it doesn't have aggressive distal taper and so holds more material thickness further out into the blade.

That's not necessarily a bad thing btw, depending on how it's handled in the geometry...as you can see based on your review of how it cuts. It can also help maintain forward balance which enhances perceived ease of cutting as well. Both of which are good things.

Just putting some information out there :).

Thanks Cris, that makes sense considering that these don't have much distal taper to speak of.

Cris is a super cool guy, always willing to help, answer questions, etc....... Have you tried one of his knives....... Amazing cutters with top notch craftsmanship..... Happily call him a friend.

Great pick up tewn. I’m enjoying my petty from the same line.

Yeah I really like it a lot, especially for a line workhorse where I don’t have to worry about keeping it spotless. Sharpens Really easy and still holds an edge really well. I’m going to be sad though when the cladding wave is gone from sharpening in some months to come...

Cris is a super cool guy, always willing to help, answer questions, etc....... Have you tried one of his knives....... Amazing cutters with top notch craftsmanship..... Happily call him a friend.

Haven't tried his knives, but have admired the few I've seen for sale. A super cool guy indeed.

I really like that ZDP, what exactly is it? That handle is awesome

It's a Sukenari 270, but it's undersized so it's more like a 260. Everything about the knife is stunning, but James's handle really steals the show. Which is impressive because the blade is gorgeous.

My Anryu 240 got some new shoes courtesy of Carter Hopkins at C II Bladeworks.

And my Takedas got sayas, also from Carter.

Dem's all my gyutos.

My Anryu 240 got some new shoes courtesy of Carter Hopkins at C II Bladeworks.

And my Takedas got sayas, also from Carter.

Dem's all my gyutos.

Man those are gorgeous! And those sayas too! What kind of wood is that Anryu handle? How much roughly does it cost get such beautiful handles like that? Are the sayas made with the handles too?

I always liked the stock anryu handle and wouldn't of thought to get it rehandled. But now that I see it sporting some Carter kicks, it looks really bad ass!!

I'm not good at photography, but very excited to get these home and try them out....

Yoshihiro Aonamiuchi Yanagiba - Blue #1
Yoshihiro Hongasumi Edo Usuba - Blue #2

IMG_20180611_180600-01.jpegIMG_20180611_180609-01.jpegIMG_20180611_180615-01.jpegIMG_20180611_180644-01.jpegIMG_20180611_180705-01.jpegIMG_20180611_180651-01.jpeg

Jesus, I don't know what a focal point is apparently... Genuine Canadian apology for ****** pics

I'm not good at photography, but very excited to get these home and try them out....

Yoshihiro Aonamiuchi Yanagiba - Blue #1
Yoshihiro Hongasumi Edo Usuba - Blue #2

View attachment 39687View attachment 39688View attachment 39689View attachment 39690View attachment 39691View attachment 39692

Jesus, I don't know what a focal point is apparently... Genuine Canadian apology for ****** pics

Yeah I like these a Lot! I love single bevels, I need to get myself a better Yanagi, but that’s gonna have to wait

Back