Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up this Yoshimi Kato Santoku the other day from HomeButcher (that guy is cool af) and I love it.....but I have a stupid question. Will the dark etched edge start to patina or wear off? It’s blue paper #2 steel but I don’t own another blade with this finish. I hope it stays just like this. I think it looks cool as he11.
PS- this one came without any hay 😕

Homebutcher has some great deals on cool knives. The core will still take on a different patina but it should be super easy to re-etch in the future. You can find how to's if you search the forum.

PS- I'm also glad you found someone you like

Homebutcher has some great deals on cool knives. The core will still take on a different patina but it should be super easy to re-etch in the future. You can find how to's if you search the forum.

PS- I'm also glad you found someone you like
Thanks for the reply. I’ll look that up 👍

Picked up this Yoshimi Kato Santoku the other day from HomeButcher (that guy is cool af) and I love it.....but I have a stupid question. Will the dark etched edge start to patina or wear off? It’s blue paper #2 steel but I don’t own another blade with this finish. I hope it stays just like this. I think it looks cool as he11.
PS- this one came without any hay 😕

It won’t stay forever, tends to build colors onto the etched finish. If you end up messing it up you can always order some FeCl concentrate or powder.

Kinda makes me wanna etch some more of my blades like that. I think it looks so cool

Really steppin up my long petty/mini suji game w/ my last two purchases (from forum members)
CDF5719D-BD71-4B52-A2FD-78D99A073258.jpeg
A884511C-A374-43E7-9618-FE862381A6B5.jpeg

180mm mazaki and 210mm kono fuji

Attachments

• 8CED5E54-83F2-442A-85DB-3BDD253885D7.jpeg
    8CED5E54-83F2-442A-85DB-3BDD253885D7.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 5
Not only did a very badass Vanessa Knives blade come in the mail yesterday, but pretty sweet Maumasi finally arrived as well. It took almost a month to get here from overseas, but what really suck is the gent who sent it has yet to receive what i sent for trade. And I even sent those out like 4 or 5 days prior to the Maumasi being shipped. So with a bit of guilt, here’s some pics of said Mareko Maumasi gyuto in a “stainless wootz” wearing koa. I just re-etched it to help the banding pop more.

View attachment 78252View attachment 78253View attachment 78254
DUDE!!!!!

Tobias Heldqvist 250mm gyuto, picked up from @thebradleycrew on BST. This thing is absolutely fierce, with an aggressively forward balance, substantial weight, and nice pointy tip. The profile is even flatter than I realized, which suits me fine, and the banding in the wrought iron cladding is incredible to see in person. Definitely a winner.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200509110245758_COVER.jpg

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200509110341180.jpg

Man... that is freakin flat. On the other hand, since thebradleycrew bought it, I imagine it's tall enough at the heel that you could put in more curve if you end up wanting too. (Just checked: yep, 57mm is pretty good!) But yea, if the flatness suits you, even more power to you for a smart and beautiful purchase.

Yu Kurosaki - Fujin AS Gyuto 8.3" / 210 mm
235 / 215 / 48 / 3 / 0.5 / +10 / 136g

https://knifetoronto.com/ 315$ CAD

Blade length / Edge length / Height / Thickness (heel) / Thickness (tip) / Balance (Chin = 0) / Weight
In mm; all measures are first hand; balance (also in mm) is either forward the blade (+) or backward to the handle (-) where 0 was arbitrarily positioned to the chin.

BOX.JPG
BOX_felt.JPG

This one comes in a nice cheap red felt linen box, the ferrule tucked in a squarely cut insert, without any kind of literature whatsoever. It looks like the Mazaki Kurouchi box, but with felt and without the papers. It’s blue paper steel though… 🤔 :p

On to more interesting pictures...

BAL.JPG

Perfect balance for the blade length, I feel, and quite lightweight. Coupled with a profile I like very much it comes out as the most natural knife of my whole collection in use. The 47-48mm width for a 210mm is a nice height – I’d like even more, but coupled with acceptable food release it isn’t easily overwhelmed by food.

SPINE.JPG
CHOIL.JPG

Insanely thin tip, but where it could mean an insane distal taper starting with a kindly thick spine, it's more like a brusque tapering after the chin, and then another brutal one at the tip drop. Most of the spine is about parallel.

The choil looks accordingly fat (for a clad knife), but a basic V grind going insanely thin too makes for a rather brittle feeling in some cuts/with some produces. However it also makes for a very lasery feeling most of the times.

Grind and balance recall me a bit of my Takayuki Kengata. However, OOTB sharpness is another level entirely: where the Takayuki was poor, this one here is quite sharp and doesn't need thinning/removing any kind of shoulders or overpolish. Somewhat more noisy cutting paper than my best sharpening jobs (even the Takayuki is a bit silkier now), but it passed the same tests I do with these without any trouble.

On with some food cutting - a beef broth today with the leftovers of already dwindling reserves of veggies.

GL1.JPG
GL2.JPG
GL3.JPG

With a slightly bitty, quite sharp ootb edge and such a grind, most cuts were amazing. It initiates the cut readily, and finishes it beautifully. It didn't feel so comfortable however halving those carrots - like the whole blade was twisting, and trying to input more of a slicing motion or cutting as near to the heel as possible didn't help much. It goes through rather easily as you would expect, and of course doesn’t really twist, but just doesn't feel so good doing so. It does halve an onion swiftly and without leaving such an impression. Smashing garlic... well very lightly and cautiously, and you won't like the feeling much.

Patina.JPG

For reactivity I find AS to be about the same as A2 – it will discolor some onions or else in the first run, and then patina will pretty much neutralize any further food discoloration.

Fit and finish is about perfect, with this little drawback: a yellowish glue was used for the handle insert, and while the job is well done, because the handle is dark it just shows a bit too much. This is the first of my wa handle not to make use of clear epoxy. Of course, looking at the insert is always rather of an ugly mess with most of my wa knives so far, but clear epoxy at least doesn’t draw attention to it as much. A tiny bit of misfit between the handle and ferrule, often seen in less expensive Wa, nothing that shows or is felt all that much – you have to rub your finger at the right places to feel the unevenness.

Done.JPG

Pros: beautifully done, quite sharp ootb, a perfect blade for someone searching for a refined cutter

Meh: feels somewhat brittle, yellowish glue… and you probably want to extra wipe that kurouchi design dry very carefully.

Cons: nothing much to bring forward as a real con – but the “meh’s” could be counted towards cons if you search for a workhouse knife, or are a F&F maniac.

Bottom line: if you want an AS laser that ticks all the QC test boxes at a reasonable price – this might be it. There are many other options too.

Performance (OOTB): 4/5
Experience: 4.5/5
F&F: 4/5
Value: 3.5/5

Overall: 8/10

Last edited:
I had one if the older "original" Kurosaki KU AS 240s, one of the better cutters I've experienced to date.

After almost 4 WEEKS in transit (don’t use USPS “priority mail” international during covid), my special order Shigefusa 270mm kasumi yo-Gyuto with left side engraving arrived.

I also got a Japanese sugi saya and handle by @thegingerninja.abq and tailored sheath by @lpmotifs (the sugi is from Stefan Keller).

I’ve included some pics Cody sent me as my photography skills suck, but have also included my mediocre pictures, including alongside my 270mm Kitaeji wa-gyuto (heads up, only one shig can stay, so one will be heading to BST eventually).

326EFD31-2FE5-402C-AEC3-2EDC55CB6D81.jpeg

D8F3E74B-852D-4EE2-97DA-44BCDCB0DBF6.jpeg

fc9409b5-2421-4562-9be9-242f2fb2d6ab-jpeg.79881

(not sure why it’s rotating this one lol)
185113C1-FEDE-4EC4-A5FC-50A2A9B57B31.jpeg

C64C020B-97FF-4391-8F4F-9DA027EE3321.jpeg

there’s also a video in this Instagram post where you can see the the figure in the saya

Attachments

• FC9409B5-2421-4562-9BE9-242F2FB2D6AB.jpeg
    FC9409B5-2421-4562-9BE9-242F2FB2D6AB.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 704
Yu Kurosaki - Fujin AS Gyuto 8.3" / 210 mm
235 / 215 / 48 / 3 / 0.5 / +10 / 136g

https://knifetoronto.com/ 315$ CAD

Blade length / Edge length / Height / Thickness (heel) / Thickness (tip) / Balance (Chin = 0) / Weight
In mm; all measures are first hand; balance (also in mm) is either forward the blade (+) or backward to the handle (-) where 0 was arbitrarily positioned to the chin.

View attachment 79820View attachment 79821
This one comes in a nice cheap red felt linen box, the ferrule tucked in a squarely cut insert, without any kind of literature whatsoever. It looks like the Mazaki Kurouchi box, but with felt and without the papers. It’s blue paper steel though… 🤔 :p

On to more interesting pictures...

View attachment 79819
Perfect balance for the blade length, I feel, and quite lightweight. Coupled with a profile I like very much it comes out as the most natural knife of my whole collection in use. The 47-48mm width for a 210mm is a nice height – I’d like even more, but coupled with acceptable food release it isn’t easily overwhelmed by food.

View attachment 79828View attachment 79822
Insanely thin tip, but where it could mean an insane distal taper starting with a kindly thick spine, it's more like a brusque tapering after the chin, and then another brutal one at the tip drop. Most of the spine is about parallel.

The choil looks accordingly fat (for a clad knife), but a basic V grind going insanely thin too makes for a rather brittle feeling in some cuts/with some produces. However it also makes for a very lasery feeling most of the times.

Grind and balance recall me a bit of my Takayuki Kengata. However, OOTB sharpness is another level entirely: where the Takayuki was poor, this one here is quite sharp and doesn't need thinning/removing any kind of shoulders or overpolish. Somewhat more noisy cutting paper than my best sharpening jobs (even the Takayuki is a bit silkier now), but it passed the same tests I do with these without any trouble.

On with some food cutting - a beef broth today with the leftovers of already dwindling reserves of veggies.

View attachment 79824View attachment 79825View attachment 79826
With a slightly bitty, quite sharp ootb edge and such a grind, most cuts were amazing. It initiates the cut readily, and finishes it beautifully. It didn't feel so comfortable however halving those carrots - like the whole blade was twisting, and trying to input more of a slicing motion or cutting as near to the heel as possible didn't help much. It goes through rather easily as you would expect, and of course doesn’t really twist, but just doesn't feel so good doing so. It does halve an onion swiftly and without leaving such an impression. Smashing garlic... well very lightly and cautiously, and you won't like the feeling much.

View attachment 79827
For reactivity I find AS to be about the same as A2 – it will discolor some onions or else in the first run, and then patina will pretty much neutralize any further food discoloration.

Fit and finish is about perfect, with this little drawback: a yellowish glue was used for the handle insert, and while the job is well done, because the handle is dark it just shows a bit too much. This is the first of my wa handle not to make use of clear epoxy. Of course, looking at the insert is always rather of an ugly mess with most of my wa knives so far, but clear epoxy at least doesn’t draw attention to it as much. A tiny bit of misfit between the handle and ferrule, often seen in less expensive Wa, nothing that shows or is felt all that much – you have to rub your finger at the right places to feel the unevenness.

View attachment 79823

Pros: beautifully done, quite sharp ootb, a perfect blade for someone searching for a refined cutter

Meh: feels somewhat brittle, yellowish glue… and you probably want to extra wipe that kurouchi design dry very carefully.

Cons: nothing much to bring forward as a real con – but the “meh’s” could be counted towards cons if you search for a workhouse knife, or are a F&F maniac.

Bottom line: if you want an AS laser that ticks all the QC test boxes at a reasonable price – this might be it. There are many other options too.

Performance (OOTB): 4/5
Experience: 4.5/5
F&F: 4/5
Value: 3.5/5

Overall: 8/10

Note that because the handle is made of two different materials, it's impossible to stop the wood from moving, i.e. shrinking and swelling, in response to seasonal changes in humidity. It was most likely exactly smooth when first manufactured in Japan and if shipped to a drier or wetter climate, it will no longer be exactly smooth, and would change even if left in the place of manufacture due to the seasonal changes I mentioned.

Also the yellowish glue is possibly not glue but a wax installation. It's often said that Japanese kitchen cutlery industry considers the handle a consumable; when it's worn down, you remove it and replace it. Wax installation makes it a bit easier to remove and replace the handle if so desired.

My apologies if you know this and feel I'm lecturing. From what you wrote it sounded like you may not be familiar with the info I wrote above. Cheers and enjoy your new knife!

Thanks for the info, really. Because I had a couple of truly flush handles/ferrules I assumed it was possible to always get that result.

And wax I didn’t know about that at all. It could be that also. By now with washing and oiling and waxing it doesn’t show much tint anymore.

Its extremely heavy for a 225mm, but I like it like that. Really nice distal taper and very rustic finish.
I like it a lot too. At least from the pictures :). Have you cut anything yet?

Hopefully soon! Haven't done much cooking since this whole isolation bs started, as the produce coming now aren't that good. Plus I still need to figure out how to maintain the wrought iron finish.

Back