Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yoshikazu Tanaka W#2 Gyuto 225mm

Attachments

• 75B9D1D7-C707-4B14-95F0-7C4082CE8FC1.jpeg
    75B9D1D7-C707-4B14-95F0-7C4082CE8FC1.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 386C5DC7-3A10-40C2-83FA-DEB0D4DCCCC3.jpeg
    386C5DC7-3A10-40C2-83FA-DEB0D4DCCCC3.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 69
Maybe because of the Damascus edge - that should not make a difference though

@panda’s point is that the grinds on the special knives are often completely different from those on the standard pro line. E.g. yours is wide bevel, the standard line is not. It’s not about the steel. So your knife’s grind isn’t what most people are talking about when they talk about how Watanabe knives cut. That said, yours might well be a fantastic cutter, it’s just different from the usual.

@panda’s point is that the grinds on the special knives are often completely different from those on the standard pro line. E.g. your is wide bevel, the standard line is not. It’s not about the steel. So your knife’s grind isn’t what most people are talking about when they talk about how Watanabe knives cut. That said, yours might well be a fantastic cutter, it’s just different from the usual.

Ahhh..Capisco.

Thanks for clarifying - admittedly worried a bit about what I have ended up with. Shinichi was communicating about this knife for me and recommended it over some of the other options

Cutting ability is fantastic

Reactions: ian
or my analogy:
let me go check out this restaurant famous for their steak. im gonna order the fish instead because i want to see what all the hype is about.
Partly true - I have 4 Toyama’s so last thing I want is another Toyama-like Wat pro. I thought if I am going to get something, let’s get something different, something that he has made more “one of a kind”, (not sure if fish vs. Steak is the right analogy),

I assumed, rightly or wrongly, that this would mean the m ice has been made by him, not some apprentice

Plus, having something different - than a Toyama clone

That was the thinking - but hey, this is knife business, so you never know😊

Partly true - I have 4 Toyama’s so last thing I want is another Toyama-like Wat pro. I thought if I am going to get something, let’s get something different, something that he has made more “one of a kind”, (not sure if fish vs. Steak is the right analogy),

I assumed, rightly or wrongly, that this would mean the m ice has been made by him, not some apprentice

Plus, having something different - than a Toyama clone

That was the thinking - but hey, this is knife business, so you never know😊
You wanted to try a knife that is different from what you have, what other justification is needed? Totally makes sense to get something different if you already have 4 Toyama. Besides you said it cuts great, so who cares what the choil looks like. Congrats on the new knife.

You wanted to try a knife that is different from what you have, what other justification is needed? Totally makes sense to get something different if you already have 4 Toyama. Besides you said it cuts great, so who cares what the choil looks like. Congrats on the new knife.
Thank you - feel validated 🙏🙏

Also, I have not read a thread on this forum that says Shinichi makes knives questionable in quality - he is consistently good- his Nakiri is outstanding and I am sure this will be as well - time will tell. But hey, if needed we have BST - wats move

Thank you - feel validated 🙏🙏

Also, I have not read a thread on this forum that says Shinichi makes knives questionable in quality - he is consistently good- his Nakiri is outstanding and I am sure this will be as well - time will tell. But hey, if needed we have BST - wats move

You’ve read threads other than “Show us your newest knife buy”?

Back