Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shi.Han stainless clad 52100 210 taking a challenging geometry test, and earning high marks. Curried sweet potato soup made from yams as big as my head...

20220217_081142.jpg
20220217_081156.jpg

Continuing my recent theme of venturing away from 270+ workhorses with a 210 Shihan. This cladding has the polisher in me drooling. View attachment 163864
Isnt it the very recent one he offered 2/3 weeks ago??? I added it to the cart then started having second thoughts.
Looks sooo good! I’m sure you’re loving it.

2F9F4AB4-F0B9-4069-BF0E-D767F675F860.jpeg

One of the more difficult makers to find on BST is Halcyon Forge. For very good reason … they are spectacular knives and real performers. When this knife appeared I grabbed it. It’s a 248mm Gyuto forged from1.2519 high carbon core steel, with a wrought iron cladding. The ferrule is carbon fibre and the handle made from a gorgeous redwood Burl. The blade has a Kasumi finish with a blade length of 248mm, edge length of 241mm, depth at the heel of 53mm. The blade tapers uniformly from 4.24mm at the heel to 1.6mm 1” from the tip. The knife weighs in at 218gms.

A few pics …

DCB5986B-0675-4A0A-880C-99E06ABB99BC.jpeg

C59C6F81-A516-4CC9-BECE-ED707F121B48.jpeg

87821D71-8A6C-4F94-B60B-215EE97BECCD.jpeg

282E8CAC-5592-4AA7-9BE0-84E4B41C696B.jpeg

4730F41C-4D99-4B3E-9BB8-3668D9B1C4CA.jpeg

Having a bit of new knife congestion it was a while before I managed it’s “welcome to the family” meal. I picked up a nice piece of locally smoked pork jowl. What to make … nothing else but my Canadian pea soup recipe. Time for a few pics of the HF in action and final results.

D762A610-7A4C-4E74-A8CF-92D9CD96F3B0.jpeg

548842B4-A0B1-4323-A8B7-F7EA9C1A2286.jpeg

0072BAFE-A2C5-41A3-98DE-0BD522DA8C59.jpeg

79EF58D5-4F0D-4AF4-9A60-FBE1C7653EE7.jpeg

There is little more satisfying than using a great knife to prep a great Canadian meal.

I had this guy arrive today...

Killer! Good to see him posting new work too. Mind if I ask when you got on his list?

One of the more difficult makers to find on BST is Halcyon Forge. For very good reason … they are spectacular knives and real performers. When this knife appeared I grabbed it. It’s a 248mm Gyuto forged from1.2519 high carbon core steel, with a wrought iron cladding. The ferrule is carbon fibre and the handle made from a gorgeous redwood Burl. The blade has a Kasumi finish with a blade length of 248mm, edge length of 241mm, depth at the heel of 53mm. The blade tapers uniformly from 4.24mm at the heel to 1.6mm 1” from the tip. The knife weighs in at 218gms.

View attachment 166221

The eyes in this burl are bonkers. Beautiful handle!!!

View attachment 166216

A few pics …

View attachment 166219

View attachment 166220

View attachment 166221

View attachment 166222

View attachment 166226

Having a bit of new knife congestion it was a while before I managed it’s “welcome to the family” meal. I picked up a nice piece of locally smoked pork jowl. What to make … nothing else but my Canadian pea soup recipe. Time for a few pics of the HF in action and final results.

View attachment 166224

View attachment 166228

View attachment 166225

View attachment 166227

There is little more satisfying than using a great knife to prep a great Canadian meal.
That is a beautiful knife

So I’ve been going through my fourth or fifth “cleaver phase” since getting into knives. Picked up this well loved stainless Sugimoto CM4030, courtesy of @Rangen, and thinned it out.

1645293661926.jpeg

Nice taper for such a short knife and the molybdenum stainless feels harder and has better retention on plastic boards than other steels I’ve tried in the same class. I liked it so much, I started looking into picking up a full size Sugimoto #6.

I found this vintage one on eBay with a full tang handle from before they switched to the more barrel shaped handle with a rat tail tang and I couldn’t pass it up.

1645294015526.jpeg

1645294089610.jpeg

1645294146089.jpeg

Nice price considering it came with a saya with Sugimoto kanji, but it came thick as hell behind the edge and the handle needed sanding. I took off 10 grams of steel on the stones spread out over a couple days and rounded the choil and by the time I finished, my arms and shoulders felt like they would fall off at any moment.

Before choil
1645294861781.jpeg

After choil
1645294915382.jpeg

Most of the steel was taken off the midsection and front, so the choils only show a slight difference, but I was pretty happy with the result.

Then tragedy struck. I took the knife to work to test the next day and I cut 2 onions before a prep cook who I once considered a dear friend knocked the Sugimoto off my board, breaking the tip and consequently, my heart 💔.

1645295332497.jpeg

1645295360688.jpeg

Look! Look how they massacred my boy! 😩

At this point, I was pretty tired of thinning so took it to the professionals at District Cutlery to see if they had any solutions, but they told me the best course of action would be to just round and upsweep the front a little. They also told me the rest of the Sugi felt “sharp as hell” so, a nice affirmation of my sharpening skills 👌.

After I spent some time drooling over some of the beautiful Sukenaris they had on display and inspecting a TF for any signs of wabi-sabi, I went home and went back to the stones. The repair actually took less time than I thought and the profile remained largely intact. I spent a little more time rethinning the tip and here’s the end result:

1645295935663.jpeg

1645296099319.jpeg

With further testing, the steel, probably white 2, takes and holds a higher grit edge relatively well, even on plastic boards. I haven’t used white steel much for mass prep, usually favoring something with more edge retention, but I can see why so many people on the forum do. That high level of sharpness from white steel is just so satisfying to do bulk prep with and is so easy to bring back.

Did a quick test cut video at home

Currently, the tip is thin enough to move through onions smoothly and overall food release is pretty good due to the strong right side convexity, but I think I’ll end up taking off another couple grams of steel from behind the edge to get that “fall through food” feeling on bigger, denser produce.

Still want to pick up a newer version of the Sugimoto at some point to try and maybe a Mizuno, but for now, I have temporarily quenched my thirst for cleavers. Anyways, thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

Last edited:
So I’ve been going through my fourth or fifth “cleaver phase” since getting into knives. Picked up this well loved stainless Sugimoto CM4030, courtesy of @Rangen, and thinned it out.

View attachment 166377
Nice taper for such a short knife and the molybdenum stainless feels harder and has better retention on plastic boards than other steels I’ve tried in the same class. I liked it so much, I started looking into picking up a full size Sugimoto #6.

I found this vintage one on eBay with a full tang handle from before they switched to the more barrel shaped handle with a rat tail tang and I couldn’t pass it up.

View attachment 166379

View attachment 166380

View attachment 166381

Nice price considering it came with a saya with Sugimoto kanji, but it came thick as hell behind the edge and the handle needed sanding. I took off 10 grams of steel on the stones spread out over a couple days and rounded the choil and by the time I finished, my arms and shoulders felt like they would fall off at any moment.

Before choil
View attachment 166382

After choil
View attachment 166383
Most of the steel was taken off the midsection and front, so the choils only show a slight difference, but I was pretty happy with the result.

Then tragedy struck. I took the knife to work to test the next day and I cut 2 onions before a prep cook who I once considered a dear friend knocked the Sugimoto off my board, breaking the tip and consequently, my heart 💔.

View attachment 166386

View attachment 166389
Look! Look how they massacred my boy! 😩

At this point, I was pretty tired of thinning so took it to the professionals at District Cutlery to see if they had any solutions, but they told me the best course of action would be to just round and upsweep the front a little. They also told me the rest of the Sugi felt “sharp as hell” so, a nice affirmation of my sharpening skills 👌.

After I spent some time drooling over some of the beautiful Sukenaris they had on display and inspecting a TF for any signs of wabi-sabi, I went home and went back to the stones. The repair actually took less time than I thought and the profile remained largely intact. I spent a little more time rethinning the tip and here’s the end result:

View attachment 166391
View attachment 166392

With further testing, the steel, probably white 2, takes and holds a higher grit edge relatively well, even on plastic boards. I haven’t used white steel much for mass prep, usually favoring something with more edge retention, but I can see why so many people on the forum do. That high level of sharpness from white steel is just so satisfying to do bulk prep with and is so easy to bring back.

Did a quick test cut video at home

Currently, the tip is thin enough to move through onions smoothly and overall food release is pretty good due to the strong right side convexity, but I think I’ll end up taking off another couple grams of steel from behind the edge to get that “fall through food” feeling on bigger, denser produce.

Still want to pick up a newer version of the Sugimoto at some point to try and maybe a Mizuno, but for now, I have temporarily quenched my thirst for cleavers. Anyways, thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

Dang, great find. You mind if I ask how much you found it for? Just curious. Also, what's the weight?

And nice thinning job - if more than that came off the midsection, that's a good amount of work!

Dang, great find. You mind if I ask how much you found it for? Just curious. Also, what's the weight?

And nice thinning job - if more than that came off the midsection, that's a good amount of work!
Weighed like 458 grams originally. Probably started off a couple grams heavier brand new, but it had been pretty well sharpened by the time it made it to me. I think I’ve taken off like 15 grams now, probably one of my faster thinning jobs. The core steel was definitely a bit harder to grind away, but the cladding came away pretty easily.

Unshu Chuzen Hamono Nakiri Senyo 160mm

Neither a nakiri nor a bunka, but best of both worlds :)

'Nakiri Senyo' is Unshu Chuzen Hamono's way of saying 'vegetables only'.

This bunka-gata nakiri is unusual in a couple of ways. The blade is slightly less tall than most nakiri knives, the reverse tanto profile is not standard nakiri fare either. In hand the knife feels chunky but light. The handle is quite large but the knife as whole doesn't feel unwieldy and will suit all but the smallest hands.

IMG_3238.JPG

FFFBF83F-2AB7-404C-8DCF-6EAF7820D9EB.jpeg

Anyone who has handled a knife from Frederik Spare knows that a very capable and special maker has arrived on the scene. So much so that he has been slammed and has had to temporarily close his books. I was fortunate enough to secure this example through BST. Lucky me!

This example is a monosteel Damascus blade … as yet unknown steel. By my measurements the blade length is 244mm, edge length 237mm, depth at the heel 55mm, distal taper progresses from 4.25mm at the heel to 1.8mm 1” from the tip. As with the steel the handle material is as yet unknown but is very attractive and offers an extremely nicely executed brass bolster.

A few more pics …

F2462CF7-1785-46A1-BC51-25908139A6C5.jpeg

3ED664F5-9D5F-4A0C-8CA3-4B9C69ABC7C2.jpeg

0AC58775-D808-47BE-BBC3-971EB78019AF.jpeg

B3456661-712B-433A-872E-D9E69F84E5A9.jpeg

68402A1F-1589-44D0-8237-033D0D3A7F54.jpeg

Frederik’s damascus blade is definitely punching above it’s weight and remarkably reasonable price. When it came time to use the new knife in a meal prep my choice was my recipe for scalloped potatoes. Lots of push cutting, little rock chopping. Pics in action …

39F86668-8FE4-4AED-811B-8A208ED180D1.jpeg

CB7BFF38-682D-4F5B-A81F-460922C083A0.jpeg

F18CA9C1-6678-4D37-A609-74CA457B8294.jpeg

And the finished result …

A1125621-71B5-4427-99D5-3E6E3C1AF78C.jpeg

Check out the Naughty Schoolboy thread for how this Spare performed in the great potato smack down.

In summary this is a gorgeous knife. I might prefer a little more belly in the blade for rock chopping but that’s a point I’m willing to overlook because the knife is so darn pretty and cuts just fine for most uses. F&F is first class and this is a definite keeper in my kitchen.

View attachment 166611

Anyone who has handled a knife from Frederik Spare knows that a very capable and special maker has arrived on the scene. So much so that he has been slammed and has had to temporarily close his books. I was fortunate enough to secure this example through BST. Lucky me!

This example is a monosteel Damascus blade … as yet unknown steel. By my measurements the blade length is 244mm, edge length 237mm, depth at the heel 55mm, distal taper progresses from 4.25mm at the heel to 1.8mm 1” from the tip. As with the steel the handle material is as yet unknown but is very attractive and offers an extremely nicely executed brass bolster.

A few more pics …

View attachment 166612

View attachment 166613

View attachment 166614

View attachment 166615

View attachment 166616

Frederik’s damascus blade is definitely punching above it’s weight and remarkably reasonable price. When it came time to use the new knife in a meal prep my choice was my recipe for scalloped potatoes. Lots of push cutting, little rock chopping. Pics in action …

View attachment 166620

View attachment 166621

View attachment 166623

View attachment 166622

Check out the Naughty Schoolboy thread for how this Spare performed in the great potato smack down.

In summary this is a gorgeous knife. I might prefer a little more belly in the blade for rock chopping but that’s a point I’m willing to overlook because the knife is so darn pretty and cuts just fine for most uses. F&F is first class and this is a definite keeper in my kitchen.

Nice catch! I was debating over whether or not to get one of his damascus blades. I believe his default for damascus is 15n20/1.2419

Okubo Kajiya / Tokushima custom made 225mm Gyuto
Traditional forge-welded warikomi blade, nantetsu-clad aogami#2

Nicely balanced, comfortable weight and very sharp out of the box:

IMG_3258.JPG

IMG_3259.JPG

IMG_3260.JPG

More info about the blacksmith:

It's the one and only blacksmith operating in Tokushima Prefecture on Shikoku Island (Japan's fourth largest). What sets them apart is the low output - only three to four knives per day. The reason so few knives are produced is that Okubo san and his son are true artisans, forging blades one by one using the old ways. Most that emerge from their elven-like forge are for customers waiting for their particular Okubo Kajiya blade, forged and sharpened especially for them.

okubo-hamono-tokushima-july-16-2019.jpg

(Text, image © / knife ordered from KnifeJapan)

Last edited:
View attachment 166611

A few more pics …

View attachment 166612

View attachment 166613

View attachment 166614

View attachment 166615

View attachment 166616

View attachment 166620

View attachment 166621

View attachment 166623

View attachment 166622

Nice!

The wood is probably spalted birch. Fungi in the wood creates the lines.

Back