Simichrome is amazing

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoah. I've been using Flitz this whole time... I'll have to give it a try.

I had to use semichrome back in my Navy days. Every effin day, polish the effin belt buckle. Every effin day. Not sure I ever want to use it again. Call me Flitz guy.

Have you tried mother’s metal polish? I have used that since I have it on hand. I saw somewhere online it is ~30k grit

Edit. Another google search said 3-4K for grit rating.

Last edited:
Simichrome and Nevr-Dull, indispensable back in the motorcycle days of the 70's for metal polishing. Mother's and Flitz are good products also but I would rate them:
1) Simichrome
2) Flitz
3) Mother's
YMMV

Where do you get the simichrome from. Ill have to check it out.

Someone that’s actually used semichrome for more than a week could help you out. I’ve just used it to remove all patina very quickly and I didn’t notice any scratching.

Simichrome is engineered to leave a thin protective coating to prevent future tarnishing.
It's really important to wash it off completely so one doesn't notice any impact on future patina.

It's an abrasive-based metal polish in a kerosene-based medium. Here's the MSDS: https://www.happich.de/_media/_zert/en/SDS_Simichrome_Polish_US.pdf

Works great, I love it. My issue with it is that it smells a bit like a bad fart. The kerosene is the "protective layer". You can find other metal polishes that work similarly, but I believe Flitz's is chemical-based, not abrasive-based.

Any Autosol** users here?

It sounds similar to Simichrome. Autosol is fast and leaves a bright shine. It makes very short work of removing a patina. BUT depending on what you want to use it for, it is perhaps too aggressive. If you have slaved over a delicate kasumi finish, it might start turning the haze into bright polish.

Damn, USD30 for a teeny 50gr tube here

If you are curious about Autosol, you should be able to find it at Bunnings for around $10 for a 75g tube... Or Supercheap Auto. A little goes a long way - that tube will last you a long time.

... A final safety warning nobody asked for :)p). Some of these polishing compounds can have pretty nasty chemicals in them. Make sure you act in your best interest and be sure to clean your blade thoroughly afterwards!

** I suspect most of us will use what is 'at hand'. Given this is a global community, what is 'at hand' probably betrays some regionality. I haven't seen Flitz or Simichrome in my local shops...

It's an abrasive-based metal polish in a kerosene-based medium. Here's the MSDS: https://www.happich.de/_media/_zert/en/SDS_Simichrome_Polish_US.pdf

Works great, I love it. My issue with it is that it smells a bit like a bad fart. The kerosene is the "protective layer". You can find other metal polishes that work similarly, but I believe Flitz's is chemical-based, not abrasive-based.

Yes, this. I bought some Simichrome a while ago based off people's positive reviews and was surprised at the smell. I need to make sure there's ventilation in the room. Otherwise the smell is overpowering at times. Is the strong smell also present for other chemical polishers like Flitz?

Yes, this. I bought some Simichrome a while ago based off people's positive reviews and was surprised at the smell. I need to make sure there's ventilation in the room. Otherwise the smell is overpowering at times. Is the strong smell also present for other chemical polishers like Flitz?

They pretty much all smell bad to varying degrees. Simichrome smells vaguely sulfurous to me. I personally use another kerosene-based abrasive polish. It still smells, but just a little like lighter fluid.

I believe a majority of metal polishes use ammonia for some reason. So they smell like windex and paint thinner from the added petrolatum distillates. I know mothers and blue magic (?) smell that way.

Yeah, that's the smell most of them have. On top of that, Simichrome has a sulfurous smell to me. I've used Flitz's, Simichrome, Pikal and Wenol all side-by-side the verify and Simichrome was the only one that smelled like a fart to me. Wenol, Pikal and Simichrome all had that windex/paint thinner smell from the kerosene. Flitz's also had an odor to it, but not as strong and not quite the same. I'm sensitive to smells like this though, so I'm being a bit picky. As far as results go, I still love Simichrome.

Back