So I got this gift coupon for CKTG

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickag123

Reaction score
Looking to spend no more than $120 overall. Would like to get a nice carbon knife, no more than 180mm.

Was thinking about the below:

Okeya Blue #2 Wa Bunka 165mm
https://www.**************.com/okbu16.html
Yamashin White #1 Santoku 165mm
https://www.**************.com/yawh1sa16.html
Yoshimitsu Fugen White #1
https://www.**************.com/yofuwh1bune.html
What do you guys think? is there anything I am missing?

Thanks!!

Looking to spend no more than $120 overall. Would like to get a nice carbon knife, no more than 180mm.

What do you guys think? is there anything I am missing?

Thanks!!

out of budget nvm sorry mods please delete

Sell the gift card and buy a Kato Kintaro 180 gyuto or 170 bunka from MTC.

Or if semi-stainless works for you, you could try this Takamura Chromax: https://www.**************.xn--c%7C-bsa/tachpasa161.html

The Tanaka bunka would also be a good bet.

I wouldn't get any of those knives, get stones instead and a different knife

How about the Tanaka blue 2 bunka 180 at $135? A little over 120 but it’s a well regarded maker.

I have one of the kanehide TK which I really like. Not carbon but semi stainless though.

Thanks! I'l try and see if I can stretch the budget a bit. BTW, I was looking for this knife around and noticed all Tanaka knives have different handles than the ones CKTG. could it be that they are removing the stock ones and using to rehandle other brands?

If I had money to spend at CKTG and wanted a knife, I'd get a stone or two instead
I really like the spoons Togo carries. Kuntz knockoffs but half the price.
I wouldn't get any of those knives, get stones instead and a different knife

Thanks guys. However, I am super happy with my Shapton collection, any chance to find a decent knife within their website?

Sell the gift card and buy a Kato Kintaro 180 gyuto or 170 bunka from MTC.

Or if semi-stainless works for you, you could try this Takamura Chromax: https://www.**************.xn--c%7C-bsa/tachpasa161.html

The Tanaka bunka would also be a good bet.

Thanks. Would you say this is the best option over there?

By the looks of it, I kinda like the Yoshimitsu Fugen White #1 Tall Nakiri at 150 dollars. Otherwise a safe bet might be a Konosuke 120mm petty.

It's not in stock, otherwise I would also pick the Takamura Chromax Santoku 170mm over there for $115. I'm a big fan of Takamura and their Chromax line and R2 red handle line are great bang for the buck choices.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'l try and see if I can stretch the budget a bit. BTW, I was looking for this knife around and noticed all Tanaka knives have different handles than the ones CKTG. could it be that they are removing the stock ones and using to rehandle other brands?

Best option is relative to your preferences--can't guarantee any given knife is going to suit you perfectly, especially as I haven't used either of these particular models. If you search around prior discussions, though, you'll see many folks regard both these brands as very good performers for their price point.

On the Tanaka handles, if you're comparing to the ebony handles from Knives and Stones, those are not the maker's stock handles but instead the KnS semi-custom ones. At least historically, Tanaka knives have come with cheap ho/plastic handles, which some merchants upgrade and others don't. If you want a nicer handle and better fit/finish you'll likely be paying more.

With togo, the major brands are a safer bet as far as quality or known 'issues' goes. Masamoto, Kuhn, Shapton, Naniwa, Takamura, Tanaka (not made nicer like KnS does), etc.

JML, **************, ****, ****, trump, ************, ****, *****, kytchenknyfen00b

Just checking which words are bad enought to get censored 😂

And IMO Togo has very nice range of knives to choose from.

How about kohetsu blue or sld 180mm gyutos? Or their santoku cousins. Would fit the budget.

Last edited:
JML, **************, ****, ****, trump, ************, ****, *****, kytchenknyfen00b

How about kohetsu blue or sld 180mm gyutos? Or their santoku cousins. Would fit the budget.
Thanks, this prompted me to finally look up his regurgitation station. That was 30 seconds of my life I just lost.

Also, if the OP can live with stainless, the Tojiro DP gyuto and petty set for $99 is worth considering.

cktg has good knives, but all of their cheaper stuff seem to be junk.

Yeah, I just got the 180 SLD. It's a Tadafusa knife, but smooth any rough spots and it cuts really nice. Nearly as nice as a Mazaki 180 petty, but way less reactivity.

Another option would be a Kanehide TK.

Some of those okeya blades don’t look horrific. Especially for the price. I don’t have a ton of kohetsu experience or ToGo experience. I did purchase a western AS 270 kohetsu gyuto years ago when I was looking for a decent western beater. Never again. Terrible grind on mine. The tip was way too thick. Needed to be thinned out of the box. Wouldn’t even cut an onion in half. I’ve thinned the crap out of that knife and use it as a beater. I’m sure if it’s a knife you’re after, you can find something. I would say takamura or something similar. I’m sure some of the bargain knives are ok. I’m pretty sure I heard the wa handled kohetsu knives are thinner and a little better if kohetsu is one of the brands you’re thinking about. Check those choil shots though. Some are horrific. Email them and ask questions if you need to. They have some pretty decent petties on there for the price as well.

cktg has good knives, but all of their cheaper stuff seem to be junk.

I agree but to be honest the customer is asking for that stuff at that price point. I have purchased some very fine knives from that site and avoided the "junk" but it does sell on that site as well as other sites. Some people just don't value a good knife as much as their next smart phone.

I also vote for the Kanehide TK, as long as you are righty.

The Yoshimitsu Fugen is the best of togos cheapy KU knives. I had one pass through the shop and the grind was actually pretty impressive. Had a bit of concavity up high, and super thin at the edge.

Thought about the Tall nakiri at $129 myself...

Thanks everyone, appreciate the help!

Unless I am missing anytthing, from what I read - current stock for this price range is not the best. However, these are the best options as of now?

What do you think? which one if the best?

Tanaka blue 2 bunka 180 $135
Takamura Chromax Pakka Santoku 170mm $80 (too bad they don't have in stock the red handles which I heard good things about)
Yoshimitsu Fugen White #1 Bunka 170mm $75
Kanehide TK (have zero knowledge of these knives).

Thanks!!

I have mixed feelings about To Go. I would agree with those who have suggested stones or spoons as safer but but I don't think all their inexpensive knives are junk. Personally, I'd look at the Tosa makers: Zakuri, Murata, Muneishi/Yusaku, and Kajiwara. To the extent that one can generalize Tosa knives tend to be a little rustic/rough in fit and finish but made from relatively well forged iron clad Aogami 1 or 2. The are often a little thick behind the edge but that isn't a huge problem to fix. I think they tend to represent good value if you're prepared to do some tune up work.

Back