Has the thought of going vegetarian ever crossed your mind?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
I am eating veggies more. I feel better.

Maybe some small piece of fish, but very veggie heavy.

I admit it feel better afterwards. Across the board.

But meat is YUM! Not sure I could abandon meat. You?

I tried it for a while, lost a ton of weight (muscle) but I did feel good. I think it can be great but if you like to lift like me, its just to hard to consume protein that you like. I also really struggle to come up with recipes.

Our house is 80-90% vegetarian. We prefer it and keeps us at healthy weights.

Do you mean 80-90% of the people in your house are vegetarian? Or the people in your house eat meat 10-20% of the time. I think that's very doable and similar to my house. But I don't call that being any part vegetarian.

Oh and on the actual vegetarian question. For me it's not really an option, hence never given any serious consideration. My body isn't working great, but it seems to at least work best when I have a good amount of meat in my diet.
Part of the problem is that my bowel system doesn't take kindly to legumes and pulses, and too much milk products and cheese don't work well either. So that doesn't leave a lot of options for proteins. I could theoretically make up the difference with just a lot of eggs, but that feels like a culinary penal colony I do not want to enter.
Admittedly I do also quite enjoy meat so even if these matters were simpler I'm not sure I'd seriously consider going vegetarian or vegan either.

To the opq:

yes … as an exercise in horror.

And also as an exercise in gratitude for easy and fairly affordable access to meat, seafood, dairy and huevos.

Sometimes to attempt to empathize with food that only consumes “what food eats.”

I was vegetarian (or rather - pescatarian) for most of my life. I eat meat occasionally now, though mostly just out of politeness if someone gives it to me, I don’t particularly like it. Good seafood would be extremely difficult to give up though, especially being in the UK.

It’s basically a given that for ethical, environmental, and physiological reasons, we should collectively be eating less meat. Though tbh it’s not a massively important factor in any of those; we all do far worse to ourselves, others, and the planet, than eating meat.

Last edited:
Honestly I considered going vegetarian, kind feel bad for animal since I have a dog, but still….
Factory farming is beyond awful. I eat mostly seafood, but will eat poultry a few times a month and on very rare, special occasions, beef and lamb. I never recovered the taste for pork after being vegetarian/pescatarian for long stretches of my life and likely won't ever eat it again.

Best I can do for a compromise between enjoyment and ethics I guess.

Absolutely, but its very difficult as I love meat. Our household has cut down a lot on pork and red meat though. Main inspiration are the health benefits.

Do you mean 80-90% of the people in your house are vegetarian? Or the people in your house eat meat 10-20% of the time. I think that's very doable and similar to my house. But I don't call that being any part vegetarian.
My wife is vegan / vegetarian. I’ll add some chicken and eggs because I run and it’s hard to recover without animal based protein (for me)

Factory farming is beyond awful. I eat mostly seafood, but will eat poultry a few times a month and on very rare, special occasions, beef and lamb. I never recovered the taste for pork after being vegetarian/pescatarian for long stretches of my life and likely won't ever eat it again.

Best I can do for a compromise between enjoyment and ethics I guess
Might sound speciest but it is hard for me to sympathize with non-mammal fishes, they are just so different… yeah I know octopus is very intelligent, but they live like 2 years and basically die after mating, whole life sounds like a cruel joke to them.

Might sound speciest but it is hard for me to sympathize with non-mammal fishes, they are just so different… yeah I know octopus is very intelligent, but they live like 2 years and basically die after mating, whole life sounds like a cruel joke to them.
Yeah they are slimy with their freaky unblinking eyes, and omega 3's give you superpowers so they're on the menu.

Switched this past year, imperfectly due to household eating patterns and I'm the only one who wanted to change. I enjoy the taste, but I couldn't find a compelling health, ethical or environmental reason to keep eating it given the options available in my area. I'm not perfect because it's often a harder or more time consuming option. I usually end up eating meat once or twice a week but I try not to buy it for myself. I think there are plenty of people all over the world who should eat meat given their circumstances. I just realized I didn't need to. But yeah increased grain is making me heavier, need to work that out.

Reactions: ian
– don't eat what you wouldn't be prepared to kill with your own hands
– don't eat what you don't deserve (whatever that means to you)
– if you are partial to the meat industry in general, by all means eat whatever meat you fancy (or should i say ’feel entitled to'?)
– the price of meat should reflect the consequences of its production. i.e., are there really any good reasons for wanting meat to be cheaper, and not more expensive, than it is?
– great meat is great … meat
– if you need to eat meat every or even every other day, consider the meaning of the word ”need”
– anecdotal stories about health benefits or disadvantages are … anecdotal
– steaks are yummy
– steaks are boring
– fish are closer to plants than cows
– industrially farmed cows are closer to plants than some plants
– the taste and smell of burnt animal flesh is one of the good things in life (at least in my life, but certainly not the burnt animal's)
– i rarely eat meat.
– i regularly eat meat.

I have this conversation at least 10 times per day as I am a certified plant based chef and new clients or people who learn I am a chef are curious. Obviously it's an individuals choice whether they eat meat or not but science and longevity shows minimizing animal protein consumption reduces the risk of many illnesses. The thing with food is, it's addictive and since animal protein, especially when cooked, can light up the senses, it's hard to not like it. I have heard all the arguments and watched YouTube videos and been on some panels and it is all the same, they say "you have to eat animal protein to gain muscle" or "we eat meat as cave men" that's the individuals choice but look up plant based bodybuilders of endurance athletes, also look at country's with the lowest obesity rates, mostly plant based (not vegan) very small amounts of animal protein, lots of veggies (fibrous carbs) and starches (simple and complex carbs)

I cook for a lot of clients which have amazing results, some completely plant based, some 70% but the introduction of lower animal based diet can only be a good thing, the nutrient density of animal protein is quite small compared to nearly any vegetable so the takeaway in my opinion is, if you feel you need animal protein, keep it to a minimum and load up on the veggies, you will feel a whole lot better.

I have this conversation at least 10 times per day as I am a certified plant based chef and new clients or people who learn I am a chef are curious. Obviously it's an individuals choice whether they eat meat or not but science and longevity shows minimizing animal protein consumption reduces the risk of many illnesses. The thing with food is, it's addictive and since animal protein, especially when cooked, can light up the senses, it's hard to not like it. I have heard all the arguments and watched YouTube videos and been on some panels and it is all the same, they say "you have to eat animal protein to gain muscle" or "we eat meat as cave men" that's the individuals choice but look up plant based bodybuilders of endurance athletes, also look at country's with the lowest obesity rates, mostly plant based (not vegan) very small amounts of animal protein, lots of veggies (fibrous carbs) and starches (simple and complex carbs)

I cook for a lot of clients which have amazing results, some completely plant based, some 70% but the introduction of lower animal based diet can only be a good thing, the nutrient density of animal protein is quite small compared to nearly any vegetable so the takeaway in my opinion is, if you feel you need animal protein, keep it to a minimum and load up on the veggies, you will feel a whole lot better.
I'm sorry but I think you're really overstating certain things.

-The idea that 'minimizing animal protei reduces the risk of many illnesses' does not actually have very solid scientific evidence to state it as such. It's certainly not as universally true as you claim here, and whatever 'evidence' exists relies largely on correlating factors and confounding variables. So for example a lot of the 'red meat is bad' results relies on 2 factors: research in the US being done in the US where people consume a lot of their red meat in combination with refined carbs (fries / hamburgers) and soda (hence why you get inexplicable results like 'red meat leads to diabetes'), and the almost universal tendency to group all processed meats into red meat category (so any effects you're seeing are largely from the nitrites, not from the meat itself).
Just about the only meat-related statement that's really properly supported is 'nitrites are bad'.

-Similarly, animal protein is a rather big category. Were you to split it up further... I have yet to see any research that actually finds any negative effects from poultry and fish (as long as it's not tainted / polluted). Any research producing a negative effect of meats tends to only do this for red meat (and usually for aforementioned reasons).

-The main driver of 'meat is bad for you' gospel is that it's a convenient way to cut people's meat production that suits many parties, whether it's environmental groups who found their cute animal videos weren't working, or governments who are looking to reach carbon goals. There's more 'wishful analysis' than actually strong data (and virtually no experimental data).

-Whether a switch from meat to something else is a positive development on people's health depends a lot on what you replace it with. What I'm seeing here is that many people replace meat with simply more processed meat-replacements and end up eating more carbs / grains. Whether that's actually an improvement for their health is highly doubtful, and at best we're running a large-scale health experiment (in the same way the fat-is-bad-propaganda led to a diabetes epidemic).

-While I do agree that being an athlete on a vegetarian diet is technically possible, it is definitly harder. Although this is anecdotal, in my climbing club you could consistently pick out the vegetarians based on their build; the meat eaters would build up significantly more muscle under similar training schedules.

-Obesity rates have very little to do with consuming meat. In fact people who switch to a carnivore diet (not that I'm a fan of it) almost invariably end up losing weight. If there's a correlation on a country level this is because the higher-meat-consumption correlates with 'western diet of processed food and too much sugar'.
Although I'm incredibly reluctant to draw too many conclusions from country-statistics (it's a minefield of statistical traps), it doesn't really support this statement either way.

-I do agree that eating more veggies and fiber is definitly a good recommendation - and likely far more important for people's health than reducing protein intake. Most research points at 'carbs and processed food' being the area where you should reduce intake, not the proteins.
Which is also why you find such remarkable similarities between people going on extreme diets, whether it's fully plantbased, carnivore or paleo; they all end up cutting out the processed junk and excess refined carbs.

I was told in a different language growing up.... I could go vegetarian or whatever if i wanted on my own, but as long as I'm cooking for you. you are eating it.

I guess point is its good that people have choices in food, but a lot of people don't... so i think the "ethics" part of this discussion, which seems to invariably comes up bothers me.

Health benefit wise.. doesn't seem science is very settled either way, but in general i've seen healthy people both ways. Only thing that appears to be really unhealthy is over eating.

Last edited:
I have been vegetarian for about 8 years now. When I turned thirty, I had big questions about my personal life. I decided to make radical changes, both from a dietary and from a personal point of view.

Motivations are different for everyone and it is a completely personal choice. For my part, I simply love all animals, sometimes more than humans. And just to be clear, I don't care about anyone who eats meat, it's perfectly fine. Everyone has the right to do what they want and follow the path they choose.

For me, I have a lot of difficulty accepting this line which is created by the industry to differentiate a pet from a slaughter animal. Of course there is the historical question that humans had to meet their food needs and manage shortages according to the climatic conditions back then or according to the geographical position in which they live. But being the most "evolved" species at the top of the food chain, we also have the ability to choose an alternative way of eating.

Being vegetarian/vegan you can still discover a range of super delicious recipes! I have no energy or health problems. I am a marathon runner and I actively practice different sports. The cost of my grocery cart is much lower and I can afford little extras like knives, a trip or anything that makes me happy with the money saved. In a passive way, I also help the planet a little, but my primary motivation is really because I love animals.

And once again, I don't care about everyone's choices. I help friends prepare cuts of meat when I go to their house for dinner. I love what small independent butcheries are doing and those working to create a more sustainable environment. I denounce acts of vandalism/aggression against vegan groups. In short, if you make a choice you make it for you. You'll only feel better about the choices you make for yourself and that's all that matters.

🥩 ✌️ 🥗

Back