So I have a $200 credit at Amazon...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinetorum

Reaction score
So I thought I'd get a knife or two.
I'll fill out the questionnaire to be official. I'm new and don't want to offend with bad forum etiquette.

KNIFE TYPE
8 inch chef knife first, and then a 6 inch utility knife if I have enough money.

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Western

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

$200 right now. But I can save up a bit if it will result in a significantly better knife.

KNIFE USE
Home.
Basic meat and veggie stuff.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
None.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Hammer

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Pretty much just slicing and chopping, I think.

If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Aesthetics aren't a big deal. A lighter knife would be good. I'd like to be able to use it out of the box and have it be pretty easy to sharpen. Good edge retention would be nice, but it won't get heavy use.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Primarily synthetic.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Not yet, but learning is next on my to do list.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

So as the thread says, I've got a credit at Amazon. Probably not an ideal place to buy a knife, but I've got the $$. So I found this little set:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040E2NV6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

What are your thoughts, based on my parameters?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Search Yoshihiro on Amazon. There are a ton.

search "Togiharu" on Amazon. Good knives for buck...... Sold by kkf vendor Korin.

If you want to have a couple of good quality, western style stainless knives, the Suisin from Korin (via Amazon) would serve you well.

All good suggestions on this thread. The Suisin set you were looking at are a couple nice blades.

Thanks again for all the feedback. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Suisin pair from Korin. Should be here later this week. Excited!

Back