So I started collecting, my first Shigefusa

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sujihiki is the nicest knife in the collection.:razz:

Fully agree! :)

meat.jpg

This little beauty arrived from Tokyo today, adding to the growing "270" family. Will post more side-by-side comparison images with his Kasumi brother and 'lost' 40 year uncle when I pick him up this weekend in Denmark! Should make for an interesting post!

shig_k1.jpg

shig_k2.jpg

shig_k3.jpg

Adding a few more shots or my two recent additions. A detailed side-by-side can be found here on KKF:

270mm Kitaeji Yanagiba describe in an earlier thread:
3new.jpg

270mm Kitaeji Yanagiba from Maksim's recent NOS sale:
3nos.jpg

To see the side-by-side of the two kitaeji's and a kasumi, click here

This 165mm kitaeji niikiri one up last month and been using the knife for a week now. A completely different feel and style of use compared to the santoku, though is growing on my a lot!

nikiri.jpg

The mailman brought this little gift this morning: 180mm sickle blade. Feels like a very nifty knife, handle is a bit smaller compared other Shigs of similar length. Can't wait to start using it!

k_usuba.jpg

Nice one. The kasumi on the wide bevel on this on is so dark in this shot. S-fusa 1-bevels definitely have something to them.

I took the shot without my usual set up, handheld and in poor light; this might have caused the darkness of the bevel. I will take a few other shots over the weekend, as the kasumi wide bevel almost looks like it has kitaeji lines and the grind is really pronounced on this knife.

Nice one. The kasumi on the wide bevel on this on is so dark in this shot. S-fusa 1-bevels definitely have something to them.

Wow, I now see this thread for the first time. Great collection you've got! I'd do a murder for one of those knives. Well, I wouldn't really kill somebody of course. Maybe a chicken...

Okay, a few more of the sickle blade in a proper setup:

k_ub.jpg

k_ub_d.jpg

k_ub_c.jpg

Yep. Nice lines.

I've got a Kanto-style usuba (square-tipped) which has lines too, though you rarely see them. I'd have to finger polish for that, though I've never done that but they've still shown themselves with normal stones.

Mine is quite hard to polish nicely with stones; the convex grind which is more pronounced in the middle between tip and heel. Would be curious to hear if you find the same. Put it to stones!

This weekend I came back from a trip to the USA, where i picked up several past purchases which were shipped to a friend.

210mm Kasumi Gyuto (Thanks mikedtran!)
gyuto_210_kas.jpg

230mm Kasumi Chuka (Thanks echerub!)
chuka.jpg

180mm Kitaeji Gyuto:
gyuto_180_kit.jpg

Really digging the 210mm length of the gyuto; a very nice balance between blade length, performance and knife agility on the board. Will be a battle between my santoku and this one as far as my 'go to' knife is concerned.

Ha ha, Zweber12, at least you have got yourself a Shig chukka.

This weekend I came back from a trip to the USA, where i picked up several past purchases which were shipped to a friend.

210mm Kasumi Gyuto (Thanks mikedtran!)
gyuto_210_kas.jpg

230mm Kasumi Chuka (Thanks echerub!)
chuka.jpg

180mm Kitaeji Gyuto:
gyuto_180_kit.jpg

Really digging the 210mm length of the gyuto; a very nice balance between blade length, performance and knife agility on the board. Will be a battle between my santoku and this one as far as my 'go to' knife is concerned.

Indeed, though your chuka is still in a different class!

Finally got around to take a of a few snaps of my kitaeji Gyutos; 180, 210 and 240mm. If any one has a 270 laying around willing to trade or sell, let me know; surely we can work something out!

gyutos_1.jpg

gyutos_2.jpg

That is just too freaking beautiful! I'm so glad I told myself no Kitaeji double bevels or we would be hunting after the same stuff =p

In order I think I like the Petty, than the 210mm, than the 240mm Kitaeji pattern.

There is so much nice negative space on the Petty, reminds me more of the single bevel kitaeji pattern.

Can you post a family photo :angel2:, not sure if that'd even fit in a single picture though… maybe in a panoramic :idea2:

One trick is to lay your knives on the ground and stand on the tallest thing you have :spin chair:

Back