Splash and go to go

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miles

KKF Supporting Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
I carry a hone in my work kit for touchups, but I've been considering adding a splash and go to my work kit. Preferably something not terribly bulky, probably a medium fine stone 2-4k. Glassstones come to mind. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Shapton Glass #3000. Amazing stone. It's fast, doesn't dish, doesn't load up (or at least very minimal), very good feedback and it produces a durable, toothy edge.

@Benuser I haven't felt that the Chosera 2k is really a splash and go. It surprised me a bit with its thirstiness when I first got it, feels like it needs a quick rinse or soak under water initially. What is your experience?
That said...@Miles, you're in Houston area right? I've got a probably 90% unused Chosera 2k you're welcome to have

@Benuser I haven't felt that the Chosera 2k is really a splash and go. It surprised me a bit with its thirstiness when I first got it, feels like it needs a quick rinse or soak under water initially. What is your experience?
That said...@Miles, you're in Houston area right? I've got a probably 90% unused Chosera 2k you're welcome to have
That's pretty generous foody- good on ya.
I don't have 2K but have 400, 1K and 3K Choseras. They are pretty thirsty and it takes a little (quite short really) while to get a slurry up. I think on one occasion I read Jon B from JKI saying that they really shouldn't be soaked, so my usual practice is to briefly rinse them then use the nagura and continue to splash as required.
I'm interested to hear what Benuser thinks about this.

I always give my choseras a quick soak before use. The 2K imo is more of a sharpening than finishing stone, but it sure feels nice..

Lars

I should maybe say that I only have the 400 and 2K and have never had any issues with soaking. The 5K I think sometimes cracks when soaking..

Lars

You may wet it and wait a few minutes. Soaking is quite risky.

Well, that sounds like useful advice... I've been soaking my Naniwa Professional 400 for five to seven minutes but I shall desist if it's that risky!

Shapton Glass #3000. Amazing stone. It's fast, doesn't dish, doesn't load up (or at least very minimal), very good feedback and it produces a durable, toothy edge.

If you are carrying the stones daily then Shapton glass stones maybe better for transport in a bag roll/case. If you have a locker, then stone options are good too. Just a thought to avoid broken whetstones.

Unless, if anyone has good suggestions for transporting synthetic or natural stones in a knife bag, that would be ideal.

I am wondering whether the best solution would not be the 6k diamond stone from Jon (or maybe Jon should introduce a 3k version too :) )

Otherwise I would just build a not-air-tight enclosure (could be some sort of small platic food container with holes) with some soft padding for the stone.

Or dare I say, a 2 sided diamond stone 3000 and 6000. This could be ideal for a chef wanting to touch up during the day on the 6000 side, and resharpening at the end of service 3000 then 6000 (without doing it at home each night!). Then back to the stones once a week at home.

Chosera definitely benefits from a couple of minutes of soaking!

Back