Stabbed in the back with a Masamoto KS........

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lol-x

Reaction score
In October 2019, I was travelling in Vietnam.

I had bronchitis and had been having severe coughing fits.

In my hotel, 4 hours prior to my flight back home, I got up from the bed coughing perfusely and finding it hard to get my breath, went over the to foyer table to get a drink and thinking to myself I feel dizzy.

Next thing, I woke up on the floor to find a smashed glass I had knocked off the table in front of my face. But that wasn't really the problem no glass in me.

After I got up I noticed some blood spots on the floor and within seconds there were blood spots and it was like a downpour of rain.

I could feel my t-shirt was wet on my back. I took off my t-shirt to find a knife hole and my (new Ducati) T-shirt and it was wet with a pool of blood. I went into the bathroom and looked in the mirror and there was a gaping wound in my back with blood coming out. I took a shower hoping it would wash away and stop the bleeding, but it didn't.

I realised then that when I fainted due to excessive coughing and lack of oxygen, I had also knocked off the table my Masamoto KS Petty (150mm) white steel carbon blade knife and somehow fallen upon it.

I picked up the knife and it was covered in fresh blood, rinsed it, wiped it and put it in the Saya.

blood-towel-1.jpg

In a panic I called the Hotel Manager. He came within a minute or two with another employee. I took off the towel on my back and he was shocked to see my towel covered in blood. He said I had to go to the hospital, but I was due to fly home in 4 hours. He said he can send me in a taxi and he and his assistant made a make-shift bandage around my chest/back and helped me to the taxi.

I must have brushed up against the curtains as I called the Hotel Manager:
Curtains-1.jpg

I got to the clinic/hospital in 10 minutes, and told them I'm flying out in 2 hours to come back home.
The doctor examined me and said that is a deep cut and I needed to go to a hospital with equipment. I said no just patch me up so I can get home...so reluctantly he put a bandage on and I took the 9 hour trip home.

I got the bus home from the airport and then rode my Vespa to the local hospital.

Then I spent 5 hours in a hospital. The tests gave me the all clear and I ended up with 5 stitches and a tetanus injection. Did I mention that I was supposed to be on holidays having a relaxing vacation!!!!

I was using the Masamoto to cut oranges and make juice, and just this one time, I thought, no need to put it back in the Saya....how I live to regret that lapse in rigour.

Last edited:
Wow, that knife really is yours now! You just won all knife-related parts of the internet.

Glad you are still with us!

I'll take a photo of the knife and post it, I have to admit I have not looked at it since the incident occurred.

Glad your ok, sounds like it could have been worse, personally I think that knife would be kept in my collection, makes for a great story.

That's by your spine! Geez. Fortunate indeed :angel:

its official, this knife stays with you for life.

Yes, I was very lucky.
I'm thinking of drilling a peg hole in this saya, because otherwise it's just loose and doesn't stop the knife from falling out. All sayas should come with peg holes, I don't get how Masamoto could make this without.

Back