Start of the wood milling.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good grief, I feel like a big player when I order a whole flat rate box full of stuff... That's a big burl, dang. I look forward to seeing a few pics. And please don't tell me where I can order some, no matter how much I will beg :D

Stefan

HAHAHA! You guys kill me. I will hopefully have this in hand on sunday. I have a pretty unique deal with Delbert, He gets first dibs on everything. I feel like his handle material purveyor lol, but i am sure between us, we will have some sweet stabilized stuff for sale at really reasonable prices. I will probably do a few pieces of some cool stuff i have right now as a give away just to see what people think about it all.

Actually Stefan, i would be willing to send you a few really nice pieces for you to craft with if you would be willing to make me a handle.:eek:utonlimb:

Last edited:
Hi Mike, no problem. Let's talk in PM.

Stefan

Yeah, world was supposed to end at 6:00 PM Eastern time. Didn't happen and now I owe a loan shark a couple mill. :(

Or - it happened and we are left down here, waiting for things to come while some others have gone 'upstairs' :D

Damn. Now, I'm still stuck here with all of you!!! I thought I'd have this place all to myself :-(
Suppose I should pay Fowler back on his credit card now...

-M

Yup, still here. I thought there might have been just a slight delay. Going to have to wait until Dec of 2012 now. When does Haileys comet come around again?

Ok update...This log is getting slabbed hopefully as i write this. Here is a few better pics of it. I am wrong, it is not black locust, it is honey locust, which i guess is a great natural wood for weather resistance. The guy i got it from made a huge deck out of it and it looks amazing.
2011-05-22_11-24-21_60.jpg

2011-05-22_11-32-53_85.jpg

I cut a small burl off it to see what it looks like...Beautiful.....super excited

Hmm, so basically the uglier the stump, the more gorgeous the wood? Burls are not the most attractive physical feature when the tree is still standing right?

Can you guys just cart away a tree that is lying around? The woodwork locally isn't very developed. Might have something to do with how ALL the trees are restricted.

Bit of random trivia: The trees that line our roads, parks, thoroughfares, pavements etc etc are numbered and recorded. Yes, they try to record all of them (but only the older ones are already fully on record as heritage trees). And if/when you damage one of them... you will be billed. If you can't pay the fine, you go to jail. Picking fruits off trees is chargeable up to $2000 (some guy got hit by it taking 8 mangoes home for his wife from a public tree. $250 per mango. His excuse was that she was pregnant and craving mangoes. He got to keep the 8 mangoes from what I remember)

If you were to run off the road and smash into a tree and damage/kill it... you'll be billed the cost of that tree, by species, by age. So after you realise you're stupid for wrecking your car on a tree... you'll also realise you're dumb for wrecking said tree.

Oh, and if you own private property land, some of the trees on your property are still not to be cut. You need to get permission. Again, if you cut the trees and it was planted by the government for whatever reason and not meant to be cut... you'll have to pay the bill for killing it. Only the trees You plant, or that they deem unimportant can be removed from your land.

Hmm, so basically the uglier the stump, the more gorgeous the wood? Burls are not the most attractive physical feature when the tree is still standing right?

Yeah, for the most part. Generally, disfigurements of the tree generate some sort of ripple or rupture in the straight grain of the tree. Burl are pretty much a disease on a tree that has at one point suffered some sort of damage.

And for the rest of your post.....:dazed: I never knew that. Guess it is one more way for the government to make money off the people....

Can you guys just cart away a tree that is lying around? The woodwork locally isn't very developed. Might have something to do with how ALL the trees are restricted.

Bit of random trivia: The trees that line our roads, parks, thoroughfares, pavements etc etc are numbered and recorded. Yes, they try to record all of them (but only the older ones are already fully on record as heritage trees). And if/when you damage one of them... you will be billed. If you can't pay the fine, you go to jail. Picking fruits off trees is chargeable up to $2000 (some guy got hit by it taking 8 mangoes home for his wife from a public tree. $250 per mango. His excuse was that she was pregnant and craving mangoes. He got to keep the 8 mangoes from what I remember)

If you were to run off the road and smash into a tree and damage/kill it... you'll be billed the cost of that tree, by species, by age. So after you realise you're stupid for wrecking your car on a tree... you'll also realise you're dumb for wrecking said tree.

Oh, and if you own private property land, some of the trees on your property are still not to be cut. You need to get permission. Again, if you cut the trees and it was planted by the government for whatever reason and not meant to be cut... you'll have to pay the bill for killing it. Only the trees You plant, or that they deem unimportant can be removed from your land.

I can understand that for the trees planted by the government and for those on gov land, however the rules are slightly different in this part of the country, it may hold true for old growth, but there is very little of that left in michigan, almost all of it was logged off in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Not to mention the fire that swept through much of michigan in 1871 the same year as the great chicago fire. Most of my propery is wooded, and if I so chose I could clear cut it with no permission at all. Now I like it the way it is, but my point is that if I wanted to cut a tree(or all of them) I can do as I like. The ony ones concerned would be my neighbors and only then if a tree of mine damaged some of their property.

I had just talked with my Dad in Germany about that. Over there, they try to protect old growth trees, so even on your own property you need a permit - and a convincing reason - to cut down a tree once they are over a certain diameter. Smaller ones you can cut any time. I know, this is un-American, but I actually like the concept.

Stefan

In Austin you need a permit to cut down large trees. The city requires a justification for trees 19-24" and may require mitigation by the property owner (planting new growth). The criteria for removal get more stringent for trees larger than 24" and public hearings are called for anything larger than 30". It is really only a problem for commercial developments since public pressure can prevent them getting the permits. The maximum fine is only $2000 so some developers just see it as a cost of doing business if they get caught.

I work for a general contractor and we once built a project in Nebraska City, NE...which is like tree capital USA.

Anywho, on the drawings for the project were a list and locations for trees within the projects boundaries that were not to be touched. We had to put up protective fence and such around said trees. Fertilize them, prune them, etc. If, by chance, we killed one, the cost was retarded. It was $10,000/inch of diameter of the thickest part of the trunk. Several of the trees were in the 24" to 30". We figured if we killed them all, it would cost nearly $5,000,000.....there were like 30 trees or some such. Luckily we didn't kill any. :D

$10,000 dollars an inch? That's insane.

Ok Del, here is the Box Elder...
2011-04-25_10-03-16_350.jpg

2011-04-25_10-03-00_740.jpg

Sorry for the blurry cell phone pics

Mmhh, nice. If I hadn't just paid Jantz, K&G, and Supergrit I would definitely be interested also. Maybe I 'll check out the leftovers next month...

Stefan

In the town I grew up in, Live Oak trees are the name of the game, and they are strong, stumpy, old trees. If you want to cut one down that's bigger than 2" in diameter, you need a permit. Over 12? No permit. There are houses built around the trees.

Except for Wal-mart. They had the law temporarily repealed and bulldozed about 15 acres so they could build a bigger wally world right next door to the old one. Nice fellas.

That burl is amazing, it boggles me that wood really just *grows* like this!

Its said that if everyone cut their spending at Wal Mart in half, we could sway the countries economy.....
And yes, we loves the burl :)

I think we need to see photos of what you went through to get that good looking block.
I would be willing to bet you have a lot of kindling left over for this winter.

lol i have been having bonfires almost every night....If i didnt i would have a 6 foot diameter pile in the garage....Ill get some pics later lol

Latest posts

Back