Stefan's Stefan's Handle Gallery

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are Jeff's pair of Carters with their new Stefan handles....

P1010013.JPG

P1010009.JPG

P1010011.JPG

I especially like that walnut handle on that little deba, nice combo IMHO. Hope you will have fun with them!

Stefan

I was originally concerned that the handle for the yanagi was going to have too narrow of a profile, but looking at the pic I think it will work alright - the length will help to balance it. The original (Ho/Horn) handle on the knife was way too big...

The handle on the deba is scrumptious(!) and looks like it will really compliment the thick blade of the knife.

I'm in Stefan's queue for a custom handle for my Carter nakiri - then the whole set will have fancy pants...

Good eating!

Jeff

Thanks, glad you guys like them. For the black one I was thinking more something like a fuguhiki or a takohiki, but now that I see it on the knife, it looks fine to me. But it clearly is on the slimmer side.

Stefan

I was originally concerned that the handle for the yanagi was going to have too narrow of a profile, but looking at the pic I think it will work alright - the length will help to balance it. The original (Ho/Horn) handle on the knife was way too big...

The handle on the deba is scrumptious(!) and looks like it will really compliment the thick blade of the knife.

I'm in Stefan's queue for a custom handle for my Carter nakiri - then the whole set will have fancy pants...

Good eating!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
The new yanagiba handle is IMO a perfect fit, I think you'll be pleased with it and the deba handle really makes the knife complete. These were two knives in desperate need of an upgrade. :)

I don't? I'm just slow with them (as if I were fast with anything else...) and prefer making octagons, but occasionally I try D-shaped ones. Thanks for the kind words,

Stefan

When I wrote that I wasn't sure if anyone made d's anymore.

Ty Ecchef for the pics. Another stunner handle.

Here is Daniel's Yoshikane with it's new Stefan handled installed. This is a very unique handle - it is an oval shape with bone scales, an amboyna core that wraps completely around through the butt end, and come with a buffalo ferrule on top!
I applaud Daniel for taking a chance on this one.
:happy3:

BTW, the pictures suck, the knife looks soooooooooo much better in real life.

P1010001.JPG

P1010002.JPG

P1010003.JPG

P1010008.JPG

P1010010.JPG

Here is Dave's suji with it's new Stefan handle installed. I'm unsure of the woods used on this one but I'm sure Stefan can help us out here. I really like how this one came out, it's a great match up.

P1010017.JPG

P1010019.JPG

P1010020.JPG

P1010022.JPG

P1010024.JPG

P1010025.JPG

Dave, It did come out well - all the more so because it was a rehab. I originally bought it for a 300 but then it took a header and met the tile floor.

2012-11-21 01.58.13.jpg

I sent it back to Stefan thinking I was SOL but he graciously repaired the handle, re-sized it for a 240 and refused payment for the fix.

Many thanks all around.

Regards,

Dave

Glad to see that this worked out, Dave. The wood is one of my last pieces of spalted kukui nut. That wood is very light, and cross-cut like this it may have hidden cracks. With pieces like that, I always try to break them before I work them - if they hold up I make a handle, and if they break I have two ferrule pieces... Yours may have had a hidden crack that only made a difference when it was sanded down and then it broke when it dropped. Glad to see that it found another knife, and it looks good in the combo. Btw, spacer is stainless steel and the ferrule is redwood burl.

Stefan

P.S. The bone handle looks like it makes a good match also. I always liked that one but wasn't sure anybody else would...

The suji is outrageous, and Stephan is remarkably gracious.

Dave, It did come out well - all the more so because it was a rehab. I originally bought it for a 300 but then it took a header and met the tile floor.

I sent it back to Stefan thinking I was SOL but he graciously repaired the handle, re-sized it for a 240 and refused payment for the fix.

Many thanks all around.

Regards,

Dave

I didn't know about this....awesomeness all around! :)

Here we have David's Gesshin Ginga with it's new Stefan handle installed. Is this some killer koa or what? :)

P1010009.JPG

P1010010.JPG

P1010011.JPG

P1010012.JPG

P1010015.JPG

P1010016.JPG

Next up is Ken's Masamoto gyuto wearing it's new ancient kauri (with blong buffalo horn ferrule & mokume end cap) handle. :)

P1010001.JPG

P1010002.JPG

P1010003.JPG

P1010004.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010006.JPG

P1010007.JPG

Wow, some impressive new work here.

I particularly like the relatively understated Koa handle on the Ginga, but the wild bone/Amboyna/horn deal works for me as well!

Next up is Ken's Masamoto gyuto wearing it's new ancient kauri (with blong buffalo horn ferrule & mokume end cap) handle.

:wow: That is really nice :beer:
Thank you Stefan and Dave :thankyou2:

Just looked again at David's knife and really like it. One of my favorite koa pieces also, premium curl combined with some spalted sapwood. And I am glad that Ken's knife came out well because he is one of the nicest people I know.

Stefan

I just finished mounting this one up, it's Salvatore's Shigefusa with it's new Stefan made blackwood or ebony (?) handle with buffalo horn ferrule. Just look at the finish that Stefan puts on his handles, very nice! :thumbsup:

P1010001.JPG

P1010003.JPG

P1010004.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010006.JPG

P1010007.JPG

P1010008.JPG

P1010009.JPG

P1010010.JPG

Back