Stone ID

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant Brook

Reaction score
Hi folks.

I picked up a stone within a pack of 2nd hand knives and I'm hoping for some help to ID it.

I believe it's either Naniwa Chosera 2,000 or Naniwa Lobster 4,000 (I believe both stones were a similar mustard colour). The kanji seems to be in a different 'font' to that of Chosera / Professional. Almost an italics font, I guess. From the little I could glean from the few images online of Lobster stones, I've been assuming it was a Lobster.

The reason I'm asking is I have a Professional 1,000 and the stone in question is definitely a step up and leaves a glossy finish. As I'm not overly experienced, I don't know if that's what could be expected from a 2,000 stone or more the nature of a 4,000 stone (and I've heard that the Lobster polishes 'above it's weight')
IMG20210210204956.jpg
IMG20210210204940.jpg

I had been thinking about buying a polishing stone but if this is the Lobster 4,000, I'll stick with it, crack and all.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers
Grant

I have a very similar stone. Same crack and webbing and everything. It was sold to me as a 4000 traditional several years ago on Ebay. I think that it is pre-chosera in vintage. I can tell you that I have never used it much. Maybe I should try it again. But for me the abrasive it released had a very gummy feeling that stuck to the edge bevel in a way that I really disliked. The crack was never an issue.

PXL_20210215_033020063.jpg
PXL_20210215_033037024.jpg
PXL_20210215_033040643.jpg

Thanks so much for the reply, Stringer. I had pretty much distinguished it (from the Chosera with base) by the different colour (more burgundy than brown) and shape of the base (more sloped ends) and the style of writing on it (kind of italics vs. normal font).

I now agree that it's the 4,000. I also agree that it has a soft, muddy, gummy feeling, but I don't know much different except that the Naniwa Professional 1,000 is not like that.

I pretty much got the thing for nothing, so no complaints and will continue to use.

Again, I really appreciate your input. 👍

Cheers
Grant

Pics show stone in question against Naniwa Super Stone 3,000 (10mm version):

IMG20210215152414.jpg
IMG20210215152451.jpg

Last edited:
I think this is the so-called Naniwa Lobster Chemical 4000

https://www.amazon.com/Naniwa-Mfg-Finishing-whetstone-IE-1400/dp/B001O2OFRM
I suspect that it is a predecessor of the cholera stones.

Due to the grit, it could also be a predecessor of the Naniwa Hayabusa, in which case the unknown stone could be very good

It very well could be the lobster stone. Mine came in a lot of sharpening stuff with no box similar to OP. If one were interested in Naniwa then I would recommend Super Stone or Chosera/Professional over this one. I don't know anything about the Hayabusa.

If you were interested in Naniwa then I would recommend Super Stone or Chosera/Professional over this one. I don't know anything about the Hayabusa.
The Hayabusa is a little known, but really very good stone.

Chosera / Professional, I have a few, but I prefer Shapton. And I don't like Naniwa's pricing policy on this series.

Superstones are becoming very interesting for me right now, I've had the 5k for years, the 2k is on my wish list among the next 5 stones ..

Have a superstone 2k/5k combo (gotta start somewhere..)

Don't know if it means anything to you.
If you like the 5k, you will probably like the 2k also. They feel about the same: same hardness (you can cut into the stone easily, but it doesnt dish fast), both very creamy feeling, both clog fairly easy, both dont really raise a mud.
The 5k just leaves a more mirror polished (and refined) edge.

In contrast to the superstone 1k. This one dishes very fast, creates a mud easily and is way softer.

Latest posts

Back