Stones that Intermingle well

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SyndicateNova

Reaction score
I am searching for three stones Coarse-320k,500k,etc./2k/6k, but there are so many stone lines that it is hard to choose between them.

I have a 250/1000 combo. I read that since I have the 1k, a 2k and 6k would be sensible, as well as a coarse grit stone. I also read that jumping from a 1k to a 6k is too far a jump since you won't get the full effects of the 6k.

Can you help me decide which stones intermingle well?

Sounds like you don't NEED anything. You've got a coarse, medium and finisher.

If you just want better or different stones (to spend some cash) you'll get plenty of good suggestions.

What brand stones are you using now and as has been asked, what knives, steel types, etc?

Too late to edit, but what are you using to keep your stones flat?

Cheers

Also noticed that I may have misunderstood what you have now. 250/1000 and/or not 6k?

I meant to say that I only have a 250/1000 combo, which is a king by the way. I use an unglazed tile for flattening. I currently sharpen shun sg2, shun vg10, and victorinox. In the future, I will sharpen blue steel because I'm waiting for the Kono blue fuji 240mm gyuto to restock on cktg.

Plenty of folks have great success going from 1k to 5 or 6 k stones. I prefer to use a 2 k in between. You can go to 6k, but for my purposes, I'm usually pretty happy with edges finished at 1 or 2 k for Forschners. The VG 10 knives I sharpen feel good to me at 2k. Sg2, 2k is nice for me, but will take a fine edge at 5 or 6k. Lot of guys like the 5k Rika. I use it some with good results. You can slightly refine a 1k or 2k edge with a 6k stone. Maybe polishing the teeth improves the durability and performance. Depending on how you use it , the blue will respond well to a 6k stone or higher imho.

Suehiro Rika 5k stone is the first that comes to mind. Good value and serves it's purpose well.

You will notice a significant difference in edge refinement from a 1k to a 5k or 6k. Personal preference definitely plays in here as some prefer to toothier edge of the 1k edge, I like to take most knives to the 6k store (and I would for all the ones you listed.) Cheaper or softer knives often won't benefit from a fine grit stone as they are either incapable of achieving a very fine polish (due to large chunks of carbide in the steel) or they won't hold the edge (will fold over or fail the first time you use it).

I would consider anything in the 4-6k range a finishing stone, there are several stones in this range that will work. Jumping from a 1k to to a finishing stone will be fine, you can always pick up a 2k if you feel the need down the road.

Lots of folks like the Suehiro Rika 5k, it's on the affordable side too which is great. My next purchase will be a Gesshin 6000 as I've been very happy with the my Gesshin 400 and 2000 (soaking stones).

Good luck!

Don't know so much about shapton, but the Suehiro 5k mentioned or maybe a Gesshin 5 or 6k splash and go would be good options.

I've been using a King 6000 for many years -- inexpensive, works well, and is a splash and go. It wears slowly and is easy to flatten when necessary, and cuts very quickly.

Peter

There's nothing wrong with jumping from 1k to 6k you can get great edges on carbon steel with that progression. With your stainless I'd stick with the 1k edge or 2k if you must have a 2k stone

Back