Suggestions for slicer

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgraeff

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Took on a new job this year due to scheduling and I’m handling 100+ pounds of fish a day. Luckily mostly skinning and portioning.

I’ve been using my gyuto a 240 kochi but between the fish and my other prep the edge isn’t lasting long plus I’d like some extra length for large fish.

My initial thought was tojiro dp 270 suji. They seem to be out of stock though.

I’d prefer stainless or semi-stainless also something on the cheaper side because the guys I work around are not knife conscious and I have to always be watching to make sure they don’t shove it in a drawer etc.

Thanks!

Jordan

for longer lasting edge i think one of those powdered metal ones would be good, something like hap40 or r2 or yxr7 from sukenari sounds like the way to go.

if it has to be cheap, go with misono swedish carbon and put on many layers of patina, you will absolutely hate sharpening stainless suji...

Um, I like this rec. :) The dragon makes for a nice suji.

I also recommend the dragon suji, used one for a year as a butcher. Easy to sharpen and you can steel the shiiiiit out of it, if you're into that kind of thing, which I would never admit on a forum like this one :whistling:.

I also recommend the dragon suji, used one for a year as a butcher. Easy to sharpen and you can steel the shiiiiit out of it, if you're into that kind of thing, which I would never admit on a forum like this one :whistling:.

Yeah thanks guys! I’ll look into this. I had a ux10 I really enjoyed but don’t want to spend that much right now.

Yeah thanks guys! I’ll look into this. I had a ux10 I really enjoyed but don’t want to spend that much right now.

What about a Carbonext from JCK? Semi stainless and should be $146 shipped. That is a few $$ cheaper than the dragon. If you want to stick along the lines of the dragon, but it is carbon too, the Fujiwara FKH is cheap. I find them to be a fair value and not as reactive as people make them out to be. They do need some thinning out of the box, but nothing big. Or if you must have stainless the FKM is cheap too and has better geometry.

I have the Misono Swedish carbon 270; I like it, although I don’t always process large quantities of fish with it. Should be simple to tell the crew “don’t touch the knife that has the dragon on it!” :)

Carbonext has the worst retention

Like the worst in the world or compared to the other knives in the thread? I've not used one but have seen lots and lots of threads here suggesting them in the archives.

Another from the "don't tell anybody you saw this" collection.

Wustie Pro, $40ish, Can be sharpened to reasonable edge. Bulletproof. I used this when working (for a very short term) at a place where you didn't take your eyes off your knife lest it be borrowed or adopted. Got it done with salmon and snapper every day.

View attachment 37247

Back