sujihiki recommendation!!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogui

Reaction score
Hi evreybody i am looking for a sujihiki around 27cm to use in a prokicthen ( it could be also shorter at the edge but not less then 24 cm/25 cm). I'll primarly use it for the mise en place and not during the service.
If it possible i prefer stiffer knives without a lot of flexibility.
Thank you for helping me.

Guido

France

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Sujihiki

Are you right or left handed? right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Both

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 24 or 27

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) no

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? 1000$ ( i know it is a lot but it is actually my maximum budget for the Knife)

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Professional

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

-Portioning raw protein ( fish )
-de-skin fish

What knife, if any, are you replacing? None

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Finger point/ Pinch ( pinch more with gyutos)

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push/ Draw/Slice

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? Not really important

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? I prefer heavier knives

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? Good food release, relatively easy to sharpen and maybe less reactivity

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? 5 days

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

Last edited:
I'm not a professional nor that often a sujihiki-user, so I'll just make these two points:
* With a maximum budget of $1000, you could have a custom sujihiki made for you.
* Your use cases (de-skinning and portioning raw fish) also make things like yanagiba's and takohiki's valid alternatives.

I'm not a professional nor that often a sujihiki-user, so I'll just make these two points:
* With a maximum budget of $1000, you could have a custom sujihiki made for you.
* Your use cases (de-skinning and portioning raw fish) also make things like yanagiba's and takohiki's valid alternatives.

Thank you for your reply.
Regarding the budget i know it's high but suji is the knife i use more and that is the reason why i was not thinking about a yanagiba that i think it is less versitile.

If it is your first suji, have a basic one and explore your preferences before spending a large sum. E.g. a Fujiwara FKH, a Misono Swedish 270.

If it is your first suji, have a basic one and explore your preferences before spending a large sum. E.g. a Fujiwara FKH, a Misono Swedish 270.

No it is not my first one i have other 5 sujis but none of them is a great one. It is the knife i use most.

The answer: Wat. I don't see that he has any in stock but he'll make one for you in about 6 weeks. Recently bought a "Pro" from him with upgraded handle, for 600ish usd. You can spend more money - don't know that you can get a better knife.

http://www.kitchen-knife.jp/

Haven’t used any of Gregmega’s suggestions but all the gyutos are solid. Mazaki is my go to recommendation, Toyama is said to outdo Mazaki, but with a budget like that how about Tou. I have a huge and very swordy Tou suji for slicing cooked proteins; the grind is the best I’ve experienced and the steel is likewise stellar in terms of bite and edge retention. I’ve seen them available in all kinds of shapes and sizes.

Haven’t used any of Gregmega’s suggestions but all the gyutos are solid. Mazaki is my go to recommendation, Toyama is said to outdo Mazaki, but with a budget like that how about Tou. I have a huge and very swordy Tou suji for slicing cooked proteins; the grind is the best I’ve experienced and the steel is likewise stellar in terms of bite and edge retention. I’ve seen them available in all kinds of shapes and sizes.
@GorillaGrunt I do not know Tou knives. Where could i find them?

@Gregmega Between Wat e toyama wich is the difference in a suji? Thak you
@GorillaGrunt Thank you!!!
@daveb is kinda right (for the standard) -but for 3 things. Price tag, availability, and range of options. Wat makes ku and a a bunch of other shapes than just a standard style, and variations of everything in between. He experiments with a lot of weird shapes as well. So there’s kinda something for everyone, or any purpose. Also- they’re pretty readily available directly from him. Toyama not so much. Toyama has one style- it’s a classic, but little-to-no variation outside the constraints of traditional Japanese modalities. This is part of my preference for Wat over Toyama. Just personal, I didn’t connect with my Toyama at all.

I have and love a ku version of the Wat suji, it’s less fussy, more rustic, easier to take care of, and it was cheaper than a fully polished knife. Also have his more traditional polished iron clad, needed to be babied in the beginning so as to build a patina. All my Wats have a been a welcome purchase.

People will say you’re buying the same knife, but I disagree to an extent for all the reasons stated above.

Hope that helps

@Gregmega Thank you very much for your explanation!!
Because one thing i do not like really much about toyama standard is the hight at the heel. I mean i prefer suji shorter at the heel but thick at the spine and obviusly thin at the edge.
Do you think Wat could do a suji shorter at the heel for me?
And between all the osptions you gave me which suji for you suits better my preference ( shorter at the heel, thick at the spine and .....)
And what do you think about a Kato suji wh 24?
Thank you again.

@Gregmega Thank you very much for your explanation!!
Because one thing i do not like really much about toyama standard is the hight at the heel. I mean i prefer suji shorter at the heel but thick at the spine and obviusly thin at the edge.
Do you think Wat could do a suji shorter at the heel for me?
And between all the osptions you gave me which suji for you suits better my preference ( shorter at the heel, thick at the spine and .....)
And what do you think about a Kato suji wh 24?
Thank you again.
Wat usually has a bunch of ‘one-offs’ on his suji specials page that can suit anyone, I’d check there first. He has all variations of length and height at any given time, and if it’s not there, he sometimes has things that haven’t made it to the sight (he knew I was looking for something specific in the past and emailed me as it met my general request). If nothing looks the part, then I’d reach out and ask. He made me a custom 225 gyuto that has now become a regular in his pro line up, and sells them as a standard size option- so he willing to work with ideas for sure.

For what you’re asking- (thick, but thin bte) I’d seriously look at the shigehiro or the ittetsu, Wat isn’t the thickest at the spine.Now the kato is exactly that. But you’ll get the same relative performance out of any of these

Listen- if you can afford (and find) a Kato suji, it’s a no brainer. Just be sure to buy 2 and send one to your old buddy Greg lol.

Last edited:
The more I think about it- shigehiro might be your knife. The one I held was art. But sounds like that Kato is playing with your emotions- they also are a bit taller at the heel you know—- nothing a belt grinder couldn’t handle tho

Back