• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Sukenari Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also try Fu Rin Ka Zan series from JCK. Made by Sukenari, but in my limited experience run a hair thinner, and suit my needs just a bit better. If that's your thing.
If anyone else has more experience, please chime in

I was looking for the high hardness AS Damascus that has an HRC at 66-67. I am wondering if these could be it or is that just the old runs of the Sukenari AS Damascus? Thank you.

I’ve already gone thru this with Koki, the AS Sammy by Sukenari is discontinued due to its break rate during forging. I just got a fu Rin Ka Zan Aogami super Damascus Gyuto and I LOVE IT. It has a lot of belly which is the only thing I don’t like about it. But cuts amazing and the Damascus is great. But it’s by Yoshimitsu not Sukenari. Yoshimitsu makes the other half of the fu Rin Ka Zan lines

I’ve already gone thru this with Koki, the AS Sammy by Sukenari is discontinued due to its break rate during forging. I just got a fu Rin Ka Zan Aogami super Damascus Gyuto and I LOVE IT. It has a lot of belly which is the only thing I don’t like about it. But cuts amazing and the Damascus is great. But it’s by Yoshimitsu not Sukenari. Yoshimitsu makes the other half of the fu Rin Ka Zan lines
FWIW, all that Sukenari nickle Damascus stuff is done with pre lam stock.

Honestly what I am looking for is the high hardness of the AS. In the Fu Rin Ka Zin and the new renditions of the Sulenari AS the knives are not as hard. Just really looking to see the difference.

I have. They said that they have put in orders for them. Sukenari is trying to find the best way to present them with a lower failure rate. Seriously though I am very much lookin forward to when they can produce these blades. So anyone have a Sukenari AS Damascus gyuto they are willing to part with? Haha.

Honestly what I am looking for is the high hardness of the AS. In the Fu Rin Ka Zin and the new renditions of the Sulenari AS the knives are not as hard. Just really looking to see the difference.

Tad off topic, but in your search for the gyuto, did you happen across any slicers with that high hardness available for sale?

It’s true Sukenari heats up to like 66HRc while Yoshihiro does it to 63-64. It still has the best retention of all my knives tho.

You’re right, those new FRKZ SS clad AS by Sukenari that Koki has are 64 HRC, they used to treat it all the way up to 66.

I feel like they would be SUPER BRITTLE

see I thought the same thing but after talking to many people that have them I have come to find out they are not brittle at all. They are very tough and long lasting edge wise.

see I thought the same thing but after talking to many people that have them I have come to find out they are not brittle at all. They are very tough and long lasting edge wise.
I would actually disagree with that assessment. I had a sukenari AS k tip for a while. The steel is by far the hardest I’ve used this far (I haven’t messed with the PM steels much and high carbide steels). Steel feels very glassy on stones and skates around a bit. I found the steel to be quite chippy and brittle. I ended up selling it because I felt it was very high maintenance with thin geometry.

Back