syousin-sakura vs. Sukenari AS Damascus 240 gyuto.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chicagohawkie

Reaction score
Next knife up is most likely the Sakura or the Sukenari AS Damscus 240 gyuto. Knives and stones has the Sakura and jck has the newly released Sukenari AS Damascus. Both knives look incredible, have attractive price points, great steel and excellent F&F. Anyone here have any hands on with fore mentioned knives? I know the Sukenari is just out but it seems to have same charectoristics of the ZDP line? I am pretty much a chopper and want a real nice flat spot. Would like to hear some feedback from those who have some knowledge with these bad boys .

Sukenari 240 is sold out. I hope that makes your choice easier. Syousin-Sakura is a damn fine knife, particularly at the price James is putting them up for.

Just checked out the JCK page, as schanop said the Knives&Stones offering is probably the best option, especially for the price. There is something about KU stainless that I find appealing too, nothing wrong with Damascus either if it's your thing. With my Sukenari ZDP, the Damascus sort of has a "ribbed texture" you can feel.

I've ordered from both vendors to North America and everything went smoothly

How do like the Sukenari grind and knife profile? Is there a pronounced flat spot? I like a nice flat edge for chopping.

The 270 would be better if you like the flat spot. I've used the 240 a lot more and as far as grind is concernd it works well for most tasks. I found it seemed flatter than I would have liked but may be because I'm a lefty, also encountered more resistance when cutting thru a while cabbage versus my Misono Swedish steel.

If you check out the thread it may give some comparison pics between the 240 and 270

Back