Tadatsuna questions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKerr

Reaction score
Haven't been around here in ages, but I'm finally in the market for some new pieces and need some advice.

So, I've also been intrigued by Tadatsuna. Don't really know why seeing as I've generally always leaned towards beefier knife, but I've been experiencing a bit of RSI recently and thought it'd be good to get a lighter gyuto to compliment my cleavers (Sugimoto OMS6/7). Good enough excuse to splash out anyway.

I've never used a proper laser before so here are my questions:
White 2 or INOX?
-I generally prefer carbon steel from a feeling point of view on the stones and in use, but is this as noticeable on such a thin knife? I also read from an archived post that stainless is generally preferable to carbon in a laser as edge retention is generally poorer on lasers. True?

Handles:
Does anyone have experience with Tad's western handles? Shape, size, F+F, are they pakkawood or something else etc. I'm happy with either, but usually prefer the aesthetics of western.

Also, although I'm particularly instrested in Tads, I'm open to other recommendations. I'm aware of the competition like Ashi, Yasuke, Konosuke, Suisin etc But if there's something else out there that is significantly better I'd love to hear about it.

Price wise I'm pretty open. Probably up to $500USD, but I'm more interested in finding a knife that intrigues me rather than something that's the "best" on paper.

Thanks in advance!

Josh

I don't have wrist issues, but in my experience lasers require more force particularly when cutting medium- dense items.
Early in my collecting I had a 270 white#2 Tad wa-gyuto, it was a while ago and I was less experienced but I enjoyed it. I really like Ashi Gingas. I have a custom 250mm White#2 western Gyuto I'd be happy to lend you if you want to road test one before you buy?

I have both. To answer a few of your questions the Tad western handles are good, comfortable and nice F&F. I never asked at the time of purchase but I'm pretty sure the scales are pakka. Size-wise I'd say they are average. I have an INOX 210 which is smaller than I typically use and the handle is still comfortable. For the white # 2 I can't think of reason not to try a Tad. They sharpen easily, hold an edge well and are aesthetically pleasing. If you are going the INOX route I suggest that you look at Sakai Yusuke Swedish stainless. The profile is very similar to the Tad but the Yusuke Swedish stainless bests the Tad INOX by a fair margin in terms of sharpness and edge retention. Hope that helps you out.

Both my Tada and Gesshin White number two have average edge retention, at best. They feel softer than other variations of the steel I have tried. I would compare the edge retention to that of my Misono Dragon or thereabouts. They still come back to life with a few strops on a loaded strop or a fine stone. In both lines I actually find the stainless to have slightly better edge retention. I can not tell you about finish as I have the Wa and not the western but going by pictures the westerns appear to have eased spines and choils as opposed to the rounded ones on the wa.

I don't have wrist issues, but in my experience lasers require more force particularly when cutting medium- dense items.

I have a 270mm Gesshin Ginga white #2 wa gyuto and in a lot of ways I consider it the perfect high volume prep knife. At least for me & my kit. It runs slightly shorter, has really nice, slightly blade forward balance, a great profile, and a little bit more meat on its bones so you don't feel any real flex or flimsiness from the blade.

I don't feel like you need to use much force at all with a knife like that - plenty of blade to do the work for you. I don't cut much squash these days at my current job but for doing something like dicing massive, dense sweet potatoes - the Ginga would be my first grab.

With Ashi Gingas I own both a stainless & white #2 and I think the steel is a toss up. The White #2 definitely has slightly worse edge retention, but it still cuts well even after it loses its initial edge, and the stainless (which is one of my favorites that I've used) doesn't feel quite as good/easy to sharpen. I find that both of these knives/steels perform best with an aggressive 1k edge, microbevel and stropping on hard felt to deburr and slightly polish the edge.

So if you're having wrist issues, my recommendation would be a wa handle -- especially if you're used to cleavers and like a blade-forward balance -- & 270mm size, regardless of maker. Plus if you're doing a lot of detail/precise knife work, then you have an excuse to pick up a 150-180 petty too :laugh: (I like the Munetoshi, Mazaki, and Gihei blue #2 options in that range)

I've been using an Inox 240 Tad with a Wa handle for a number of years. While I save it for soft things that require a long blade, I have been perfectly satisfied with it. Extreme edge holding is never a major concern of mine and the Tad resharpens easy enough.

Yusuke western handles impressed me and I don’t even like western handles. I was told tadatsuna gyutos were just a “tad” bit thicker than other Sakai lasers.

Latest posts

Back