Takada no hamono vs ashi ginga

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shobudonnie

Reaction score
Are these lasers basically clones of each other? Or are there any significant differences?

Some say that the takada cuts like ginga.
And others say that they love takada even though they generally don’t like lasers.

One is san-mai hand forges, and One is laser-cut mono steel (except the Holy grail Honyaki)

Even Wa Handle and Yo Handle Ginga have different thicknesses. Yo tend to be thicker than the Wa.

Takada has thicker on the spine but not much crazy distal taper.

they're both thin convex grinds but Takada is slightly more substantial

There’s a thread on the same topic with some interesting posts: Takada no Hamono vs. Ashi?
Yeah that thread has some good info.

Even Wa Handle and Yo Handle Ginga have different thicknesses. Yo tend to be thicker than the Wa.
Is it so? To my knowledge the only difference between yo and wa Ashi's is the length: yo's are a bit longer (edge length is true to size) while wa's are Sakai-sized.

That's what Jon says in his video about Gesshin Ashi as well.

Yeah that thread has some good info.

Is it so? To my knowledge the only difference between yo and wa Ashi's is the length: yo's are a bit longer (edge length is true to size) while wa's are Sakai-sized.

That's what Jon says in his video about Gesshin Ashi as well.
I have 3 180 petty, Wa HD2, Yo Swedish and Wa White 2. The Yo is slightly thicker
I have Yo HD2 and have seen and held a Wa HD2, Yo is slightly thicker.

The Takada is definitely taller, heavier and feels more sturdy. The stainless Ginga is light but is balanced perfectly with a Ho Wa handle. I may be inclined to describe the Takada sturdier because the Ginga is lighter and bends a tiny bit. So they’re not clones. They’re similar in that they both fantastic cutters though. I’m comparing a 240 B1 Suiboku with an Ebony Wa handle to a 240 stainless Gesshin Ginga with a Ho Wa handle. Don’t know how different the Ashi Ginga is to the Gesshin version.

Back