Takamura or Makoto Kurosaki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have managed to convince myself that I need 210mm powder steel gyuto. So any recommendations which to buy, Takamura R2 or Makoto Kurosaki? I’m not a big fan of western handle so that’s against Takamura but otherwise both are looking very nice.

The takamura 210mm is a tiny little thing. Nice knife otherwise.
Takamura is 45mm tall and Makoto is 50mm tall. I've tried both and prefer the Makoto. Both are very good values regardless.

Makoto is excellent. ultra-thin, light, easy to maintain, great edge retention. it's my go-to stainless steel knife.

The takamura 210mm is a tiny little thing. Nice knife otherwise.
Takamura is 45mm tall and Makoto is 50mm tall. I've tried both and prefer the Makoto. Both are very good values regardless.
the Takamura's red handle is def on the tiny side. i have med sized hands and it still feels a bit small. gifted it to a relative since i prefer a 50+mm knife heel and he really likes it too.

If Makoto is similary skilled as his brother Yu then I would choose Kurosaki over Takamura Red Handle.

Haven't cut with the 210mm Makoto SG2, but handled it in Hong Kong shop. Very nice feel - light and nimble - good F&F. Had a really hard time deciding between that and the TF Nashiji. Went with the TF (succumbed to the mystique), but will go back for the Makoto someday.

I had a Makoto SG2 and loved it. It was the subject of a passaround on a site not loved here. I think the Takamura is thinner, but I haven’t used one.

Haven’t handled a Takamura but I can give positive feedback on the Makoto. Really nice knife, light and thin, holds its edge well.

takamura all the way. Depends on the makoto line, but not a fan of hollow ground stuff overall

Been thinking about picking up a 180 Takamura but now I'm second guessing... anyone know if the Makoto bunka is in stock (or expected to be restocked) anywhere? All the usual suspects look to be sold out.

Back