Takamura R2 vs Pro comparison question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vk2109

Reaction score
Hello
I have been the 210mm Takamura R2 (red handle) for some time and love it. I am intrigued with the Takamura Pro and
was wondering beside the full tang, black handle and the bolster not being solder, what are the pros and cons of the Pro ?

Also, I see it's 3mm at the spine so is it like having a german knife's thickness ? probably then it's harder to make thinner/laser style cut (on a tomato for example) ?

Thanks a lot

Vadim

I would like to know the difference as well.

Is it just me or is the cladding on the red handled R2 the softest steel around? I don't wash the blade harshly, but after a year or two it looks like it's been scoured with a green Scotch Brite for decades.

Is it just me or is the cladding on the red handled R2 the softest steel around? I don't wash the blade harshly, but after a year or two it looks like it's been scoured with a green Scotch Brite for decades.
Sakai Takayuki ss cladding makes Takamuras red handle cladding feel like marble.

wow, 3 days and crickets ... OP if you do a search, there is MUCHO information on this already here. Search up "Takamura Vs" and you'll for sure find your ansers.

Just quickly.
*my experience* - owned 2or3 red-handles / a blazen R2 / Takamura Uchigumo
Best i can tell the Ryusen Blazen line is super similar to the Takamura pro line ... (Somebody please correct me)

All are pre-laminated stock. All are done in Takefu, but in the "Sakai" style and profile.
Red handle prelaminated stock is rolled out, then lazer cut. Blazen is forged "more" then cut and ground.
Red handle is a very very thin blade, arguably one of the best performing lasers on the market. blazen has more thickness at the spine for comfort for longer cutting sessions. Red has no distal taper (thin throughout) - and the blazen has a distal taper from the handle to the tip.

Really your paying for 1. handle upgrade and its not a small upgrade. 2. Grind 3. Spine thickness 4. over-all fit and finish.
Do you want a Toyota, or the Lexus? (uchi is if Lexus makes the LFA model) All are great choices for your individual use, they are the stainless knives a lot of carbon freaks in the drawer.

Pro is thicker towards the heel compared to the super thin R2 and Chromax but it’s still pretty laserish with the taper, sort of like a laser with a booty that is thus a bit more versatile and resilient in a professional kitchen. I have heard the cladding is harder too on the pro line to make it more scratch resistant. Mine I used in one or the other of the roles of two other knives that aren’t interchangeable with each other: Hiragatake SLD 180 gyuto and Yoshikane SKD 210 gyuto.

I guess these videos are misleading? 😂

at least it's cold forged? LOL
All R2 migakis are like 1.6 mm thick without taper from heel to 1 inch from the tip. And there’s no obvious individual variance. You can’t forge to that type of precision. The Hana is thicker and slightly tapered so maybe that line is forged. Pro I never handled so not sure.

Last edited:
Hello
I have been the 210mm Takamura R2 (red handle) for some time and love it. I am intrigued with the Takamura Pro and
was wondering beside the full tang, black handle and the bolster not being solder, what are the pros and cons of the Pro ?

Also, I see it's 3mm at the spine so is it like having a german knife's thickness ? probably then it's harder to make thinner/laser style cut (on a tomato for example) ?

Thanks a lot

Vadim
The difference in thinness is what i noticed most

Back