Takefu steel - who’s making bangin’ knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't mean it or you are correct.
0d6.jpg

I have two of these and was always under the impression that it was Hitachi steel based on it being retailed as Aogami Super everywhere I have looked.

Also on their website they specify Aogami Super, Aogami #2 and Shirogami #2 as the carbon steels used in their knife series. Are there Takefu equivalents for all of these steels? They also do make two VG10 series which is Takefu right?

http://masakageknives.com/knives_koishi.html

I have two of these and was always under the impression that it was Hitachi steel based on it being retailed as Aogami Super everywhere I have looked.

Also on their website they specify Aogami Super, Aogami #2 and Shirogami #2 as the carbon steels used in their knife series. Are there Takefu equivalents for all of these steels? They also do make two VG10 series which is Takefu right?

http://masakageknives.com/knives_koishi.html
Yes, VG-10 is a Takefu steel.

Either they pre-laminate the Hitachi Steel or they use Takefu Steel Equivalent. V-Toku 1 is the equivalent to Blue Super, V-Toku2 is the equivalent to Blue 2.

If they're laminating Hitachi steel, the core steel is still Hitachi's and not Takefu's. Also, neither V-Toku is equivalent to the Hitachi blue steels, and there's no reason to think that Takefu smiths selling aogami blades are using anything other than Hitachi's blue steels in the core. One should not casually claim that makers (or distributers or retailers) are misrepresenting the product being sold.

Last edited:
The more I’ve been around, the more I come back to Takefu steel. V2 is a favorite, R2 definitely has its place, very interested in Shiro2 (the Takefu version). Who’s out there making crackin knives with Takefu steel? I have Kochi in V2, Ryusen in R2 (kind of a pain to deburr, would love to try a better option). Nothing in Shiro2. What’s the group know?
You know the pre-laminated knife I was given after the sharpening class I took at TV continues to impress me. At first I discounted it, but the edge is holding up very good after a year and I find it's one of my go-to knives when I need sharpness but don't want to risk one of my higher-end knives. Not sure what the steel is, maybe Hitachi white with stainless cladding?

I've used pre-lam Takefu White/Shiro steel before. Really nice stuff, I like it far better than Hitachi White/Shiro.
I'd get more if it was easier/cheaper for me to get.

Not sure what the steel is, maybe Hitachi white with stainless cladding?
Got a picture of the knife? It might be recognisable as the same billet I bought.

I've used pre-lam Takefu White/Shiro steel before. Really nice stuff, I like it far better than Hitachi White/Shiro.
I'd get more if it was easier/cheaper for me to get.

Got a picture of the knife? It might be recognisable as the same billet I bought.

IMG_0555[1].JPG

The translator for my sharpening class showed me a book in English with the steel information. I vaguely remember white, and I thought I saw Hitachi, but I just can't remember now (and even if I did I can't be sure she was showing me the spec on the blade I had). Should have taken a picture, but at that point I didn't realize they were going to give me the knife--I thought I was just getting a sharpening lesson.

They had piles of the blanks and handles--evidently they teach a "knifemaking" class of putting a handle on a pre-lam and sharpen it. They also have a 3-day class that includes forging/laminating.

View attachment 104096
The translator for my sharpening class showed me a book in English with the steel information. I vaguely remember white, and I thought I saw Hitachi, but I just can't remember now (and even if I did I can't be sure she was showing me the spec on the blade I had). Should have taken a picture, but at that point I didn't realize they were going to give me the knife--I thought I was just getting a sharpening lesson.

They had piles of the blanks and handles--evidently they teach a "knifemaking" class of putting a handle on a pre-lam and sharpen it. They also have a 3-day class that includes forging/laminating.

Thanks for sharing.
It's not like the billet I bought, but I would assume it's Takefu steel due to the makers mark.

Thanks for sharing.
It's not like the billet I bought, but I would assume it's Takefu steel due to the makers mark.
You are probably right. It's a nice knife worthy of some spa treatment. I have a decent replacement handle for it, I just haven't gotten around to replacing the somewhat cheesy cherry with plastic ferrule. The blade could also use some sprucing up--a little time on a 3M unitized wheel would do wonders.

Back