Teddy's Timber Giveaway- Konosuke FM

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what? I may be one that doesn’t understand the big social media sites. I just tell my wife when the dog pooped. I don’t need to share a photo with the world.
Getting a little bit off topic but why not.

Kind of a grumpy way of looking at it I think. I'm surprised I kind of have to explain it at this point....

• You can discover new makers who share their work on instagram.
  • Established makers share their work on instagram and share when they are selling on instagram.
  • A lot of makers sell direct on instagram. How do you get an Evan honyaki? A Merion forge? A felipe? At least directly...instagram.
  • Makers announce when they are opening books on instagram.
  • Makers show their new knife models on instagram.
  • Retailers announce when they are getting new shipments and products on instagram.
  • Lotteries and raffles are done on instagram.
  • Behind the scenes of your favorite makers on instagram.
  • You can browse other people's insane collection on instagram, a lot don't belong to kkf. It's fun.

These are only things I can think of in the top of my head in 30 seconds. I could list a bunch more for sure. And this is just for knives, list goes on and on for other stuff. Regardless in this hobby I think one would be shooting themselves in the foot not having it.

And I don't get the sharing the photo with the world part. Probably half the people that follow me on my personal instagram have had it for years, with zero pictures. Lots just get it to browse other people's stuff for the above reason. Hell, I probably have not made any posts about my personal life on social media in a decade. It's just for hobbies for me. And also...you choose who you follow. You don't like someone is telling you when your dog is pooping? Unfollow them. Follow only knifemakers, or whatever hobbies you are interested in.

As I was trying to imply with the small font though, yes you are in if you would like to be, even though you don't want to make an account. Anyone who does not have or want to make an insta is fine.

Getting a little bit off topic but why not.

Kind of a grumpy way of looking at it I think. I'm surprised I kind of have to explain it at this point....

• You can discover new makers who share their work on instagram.
  • Established makers share their work on instagram.
  • Makers announce when they are opening books on instagram.
  • Makers show their new knife models on instagram.
  • Retailers announce when they are getting new shipments and products on instagram.
  • Lotteries and raffles are done on instagram.
  • Behind the scenes of your favorite makers on instagram.
  • You can browse other people's insane collection on instagram, a lot don't belong to kkf. It's fun.

These are only things I can think of in the top of my head in 30 seconds. I could list a bunch more for sure. And this is just for knives, list goes on and on for other stuff. Regardless in this hobby I think one would be shooting themselves in the foot not having it.

And I don't get the sharing the photo with the world part. Probably half the people that follow me on my personal instagram have had it for years, with zero pictures. Lots just get it to browse other people's stuff for the above reason. Hell, I probably have not made any posts about my personal life on social media in a decade. It's just for hobbies for me. And also...you choose who you follow. You don't like someone is telling you when your dog is pooping? Unfollow them. Follow only knifemakers, or whatever hobbies you are interested in.

As I was trying to imply with the small font though, yes you are in if you would like to be, even though you don't want to make an account. Anyone who does not have or want to make an insta is fine.
It's a buy/sell hype platform with *questionable* discussion that is generally drowned out by marketing. Which is how people end up buying knives with exposed screws for $900, which could be corrected by a single phone call to Linda from OSHA before Granny Arbuckle *inevitably ends up eating one* in a Caprese Salad five years from now.

I absolutely get why Instagram is the place to be for knife selling. And I absolutely get why makers use it.

But it really doesn't provide a lot in the realm of informative, meaningful, detail oritented discourse. So I also get why some of the old boomers around here don't care to use it either. Props to you for including them in the giveaway regardless!

It's a buy/sell hype platform with *questionable* discussion that is generally drowned out by marketing. Which is how people end up buying knives with exposed screws for $900, which could be corrected by a single phone call to Linda from OSHA before Granny Arbuckle *inevitably ends up eating one* in a Caprese Salad five years from now.

I absolutely get why Instagram is the place to be for knife selling. And I absolutely get why makers use it.

But it really doesn't provide a lot in the realm of informative, meaningful, detail oritented discourse. So I also get why some of the old boomers around here don't care to use it either. Props to you for including them in the giveaway regardless!
I think that is quite a surface level look at it....for example I have been on live streams for an hour+ where makers explain grinding, or polishing or heat treat and you can ask a maker live.... can't do that on the forums. And people buy way overhyped knives because of hype on forums as well haha. It's really what you make of it. Sometimes I don't want a discussion. I just want to see a cool pic or vid of a knife that was just made or polished. Or an announcement when new stock is being listed. I don't need a whole 30 page discussion on a forum for that.

But again, there are pros and cons of each platform, that's why I enjoy both. I love a good forum, but social media does stuff that forums can't. I mean these days, most boomers are very tied to social media, more so than a lot of younger people I know lol

I think that is quite a surface level look at it....for example I have been on live streams for an hour+ where makers explain grinding, or polishing or heat treat and you can ask a maker live.... can't do that on the forums. And people buy way overhyped knives because of hype on forums as well haha. It's really what you make of it.
Haha that's a very good point! One really hyped up review on the forums can get a pile of people buying silly knives, you ain't wrong about that, we've seen that for years!! xD

And for sure, you can definitely get more live interaction on modern social media. I just think the platforms, by their nature, are much more about promotion and promotion and "did you see" and FOMO, and it's entirely more likely that ridiculous things get updooted into the stratosphere based off photography and metrics and hype than *any* sort of pragmatic review against a catalogue of comparatives like you'd see on a forum. Like really, I been in the knife collecting game for 15 years, and I *know* I need to get back on Instagram if I want to keep up. But I'm also pretty sure I'm going to be introducing myself to dozens (if not hundreds) of really hyped up goddawful knives and makers before I find anything that's actually worth a cut.

Great looking work! Very generous of you, giving something back to KKF Followed you as well. I’m in.

I ask because there are many stabilizers I will not work with for materials due to past experience with them and with poor quality results
Same with me, found a nice smaller outfit I really like and work well with. Regardless, I don't have many advantages at the moment for my small shop, and would at least like to keep that to myself for now, hope you understand.

Also guys any other questions feel free to dm me! A little late now but wanted to keep this thread giveaway focused and not on discussion, was going to pull a number and count the post for the winner but now will have to change that up a bit.

Hey guys, Jedy here. As I have alluded to a few times before, I have been working for a year+ starting a small business selling wood blanks and scales. I finally launched a website called Teddy's Timber in honor of my dog Teddy. Currently I am focused on selling some of my favorite woods from Australia mainly Tasmanian blackwood and gidgee. I would like to add more species as I grow.

An example of a piece of my tasmanian blackwood that Sean Porter made a saya out of:

View attachment 315865

To celebrate and to give back to the community on here I wanted to do a giveaway only for kkf, so I am offering my FM petty. It's white 2 and I believe 150mm? It's been sharpened twice, and I have given it a full kasumi polish with stones and powder. It's not a perfect finish but I think it's decent. I would put value around 400.

I would ask that to enter, you follow my instagram to help me out with some growth: https://www.instagram.com/teddystimber/ this will be on the honor system, not going to check if every entry is following.

Also, I am going to make a discount code for kkf on my site: https://www.teddystimber.com/ Use code: KKF

I am going to run the giveaway for a few days or so, when I see the entries begin to slow down I will draw. Respond with an "in" if you would like to take part. US shipping included, international you are on the hook for shipping

Thanks all!
View attachment 315863

View attachment 315864

View attachment 315862

In Please

Back