TF maboroshi microchipping

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarrod12345

Reaction score
Gday guys,

I’ve recently starting using my TF mab shiro 1 nakiri that I’ve never really used or liked, and had for sale for no avail for a long time. Anyway, I’ve started using it.

I have always heard about TF knives microchipping and have noticed minor microchipping in this one in the past. Anyway since I’ve been using it, I’ve noticed quite a bit more microchipping that is quite severe although not bad as it’ll just sharpen out.

I thought I’d make a post to share it as it’s quite interesting and somewhat easy to photograph and see if anybody else had had the same experience for microchipping of this degree. (I have no reference, but feel like this is quite a severe case of microchipping)

Please excuse my ugly thinning/ Kasumi job. It’s a work in progress…. Haven’t put in enough time to learn this wonderful skill.
In addition, this knife needs a serious rounding of choil and spine job. It’s a bit uncomfortable….

Attachments

• 8E4A51D0-219C-4ACC-9F07-03E3CD78C1F7.jpeg
    8E4A51D0-219C-4ACC-9F07-03E3CD78C1F7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 06CC1BDD-FF58-412E-9BC8-2D4DE3AE46F7.jpeg
    06CC1BDD-FF58-412E-9BC8-2D4DE3AE46F7.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 0FEE1729-7FAD-4CBD-A528-88906D22F81B.jpeg
    0FEE1729-7FAD-4CBD-A528-88906D22F81B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • A9663263-13F0-411C-9FE8-3E2C21248B1D.png
    A9663263-13F0-411C-9FE8-3E2C21248B1D.png
    10.1 MB · Views: 0
  • D08BE2BE-52AC-4EB7-8DDF-E3CD37B75054.jpeg
    D08BE2BE-52AC-4EB7-8DDF-E3CD37B75054.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 12A8423B-472C-40B1-B9AB-FA75C117AD3C.jpeg
    12A8423B-472C-40B1-B9AB-FA75C117AD3C.jpeg
    785.8 KB · Views: 0
You have created the perfect tomato slicer. What were you cutting and how? Slicing or chopping?
Curious if you gave it your own edge before use. I found my TF's to microchip along the factory edge but after giving them my own edge have been very stable.

What board were you using? A wood with high silicate content eg acacia, teak, larch etc will accentuate that problem.

Last edited:
Hey,

Was slicing potatoes (slicing not chopping). Cutting board is end grain timber (can’t remember which). Never had this happen with any of my knives other than TF.

Knife finished on morihei hishiboshi 4K. Microchips are removed now

Yes the steel is run very hard. Im not an expert so I cant tell you if it's too hard, but what I can say is that I did not like the behavior at my normal sharpening angles so I put thicker edges on mine.

I had a similar issue with my denka 195mm gyuto. Like others have said, the factory edge is quite chippy, but once sharpened out, hasn't been an issue.
My Morihei Hisamoto nakiri, made by TF, from white #1 did not have the microchipping issue. I would assume tf does the forging and morihei does the rest, which is why the edge didn't have the chipping issue

I had a similar issue with my denka 195mm gyuto. Like others have said, the factory edge is quite chippy, but once sharpened out, hasn't been an issue.
My Morihei Hisamoto nakiri, made by TF, from white #1 did not have the microchipping issue. I would assume tf does the forging and morihei does the rest, which is why the edge didn't have the chipping issue
Fine Finish? If not, then you have the TF grind and edge. Gaku put a stone polish on my Morihei/TF Nakiri and it has been rock solid even at an acute angle. The iron clad blades are forged inhouse so maybe that makes a difference. Can't tell if the HT is set lower, but the edge holds just as well as my Denka's.

Hey,

Was slicing potatoes (slicing not chopping). Cutting board is end grain timber (can’t remember which). Never had this happen with any of my knives other than TF.

Knife finished on morihei hishiboshi 4K. Microchips are removed now
If you are using that board in the pics, then it looks like Acacia. The board will certainly be contributing to the edge instability. Try a maple, walnut (my personal fav) or cherry end grain and see if you have a better outcome.

Last edited:
Fine Finish? If not, then you have the TF grind and edge. Gaku put a stone polish on my Morihei/TF Nakiri and it has been rock solid even at an acute angle. The iron clad blades are forged inhouse so maybe that makes a difference. Can't tell if the HT is set lower, but the edge holds just as well as my Denka's.
I must have just got lucky with my nakiri as it's a normal, non-fine finish. The factory edge lasted quite a while without issue before it needed to be touched up. The grind and handle were definitely iffy, but the edge has been great.

I'm not gonna comment on the matter directly because I don't want to create a **** storm by stating the obvious.

Let me spread my attention deficit disorder wings and go slightly off topic here. Can I ask what kind of wood that cutting board is made of? Is that acadia? I'd definitely not suggest using such a brittle knife on a surface like that if that is indeed acadia. Don't let marketing myths about end grain fool you into thinking that makes it any better. End grain or not, acadia is not generally a good cutting surface for kitchen knives and most of the products I've seen on the market are really low quality, some of them even have various synthetic coatings and whatnot, and there's a reason 20"x15" end grain acadia boards sell for $60 all day on amazon whereas even Maple which, at least in the US, is a more budget friendly of the better options would cost more than that for a basic edge grain in the same size. The wood I think it's trying to imitate aesthetically, walnut, in that same size is usually in the range of 3x the cost.... for edge grain I mean, vs the end grain acadia.

Back