• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Withdrawn TF Wa Denka 210 NEW w/ "wabi sabi"

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tler

Reaction score
Got this in the mail yesterday from a shop in Canada with a lot of wabi sabi. I don't notice any grind problems, but the blade is bent, the edge is a tiny bit wavy, and the handle install is horribly aligned. Anyway, I thought I'd ask if anybody wants it since I got it on sale for $450. If not, I'll just return it.

Price $450 + fees + shipping

Attachments

• IMG_6160.JPG
    IMG_6160.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6161.JPG
    IMG_6161.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6162.JPG
    IMG_6162.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6163.JPG
    IMG_6163.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6164.JPG
    IMG_6164.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 0
Is the whole blade curved to one side?

Also got mine from there on sale. Handle install and sharpening job are crap, but thankfully good grind and not bent. Still, can't believe people would ever buy a denka new when it is not on sale for what you can get these days, and crazy that they seem to do no QC over there.

GLWS, should still be a great pickup for anyone that can straighten that.

Is the whole blade curved to one side?
most of the curve is the top third (near the tip). There is a tiny bit of a curve in the opposite direction in the bottom third (near the handle). The middle third is pretty straight. bent spine should be easy to fix, but I'm not sure if fixing the spine might reveal some twisting.

SS Clad Carbon this would be a semi-easy fix. Might have some of that difficult springiness of SS. Seems thick behind the edge is a worser problem. Handle alignment is GLWTF anyhow. I like the taper of it - mine is nowhere near close. Most probably makes it a bit more pliable at the front end anyhow, hence the actual slight curve.

I fixed a bent knife before but I knew where exactly the bent point was plus the spine was completely straight, so it was an easy fix.
By looking at OP’s pictures, I wouldn’t dare to bent it back myself, because the spine seems curved, I recommend sending it to someone that knows the hammer technique to straighten it out, otherwise mulitiple bent points might happened if inexperienced.

I think Knife that price need a detail QC before sending to buyer or customer. Like bad handle install, blade is bending, etc..

GLWS @Tler

Is it an easy fix? Just bend it back?
It should be pretty straightforward to get the spine aligned properly, but without seeing the knife in person/getting many more detailed pictures of it a different angles, I can't say if the bend(s) are complex or not. Complex bends on these are not impossible, but significantly more difficult to correct than the simple ones.

blow torch, hot glue (handle) anvil or stump, hammer, and bending stick (straightening) are what I'd use to fix this

The knife is thinner not single bevel, so it should be straightenable. Mono steel, thick and wide, and single bevels are a good bit more of a pain. Its doable.

In fairness nearly all TF wa handle installs are weirdly off-but the way that they’re off is consistent with every knife which leads me to believe it’s likely intentional lol

Probably his near-blind granny is doing the installs and they don't have the heart to stop her.

I think Knife that price need a detail QC before sending to buyer or customer. Like bad handle install, blade is bending, etc..

GLWS @Tler
you would think the knife shop / middle man should be partly responsible for disclosing such issues
@Tler have you bought the car? Lol
Maybe you don't need car, Only Knives 😄
That's a different "Tyler"

blow torch, hot glue (handle) anvil or stump, hammer, and bending stick (straightening) are what I'd use to fix this

The knife is thinner not single bevel, so it should be straightenable. Mono steel, thick and wide, and single bevels are a good bit more of a pain. Its doable.
straightening I can do, but blow torch, anvil, hammer are above my skill and comfort level.

you would think the knife shop / middle man should be partly responsible for disclosing such issues
The maker and their employee or apprentice (in a smaller factory) should have someone to do a final QC. I know sometimes knife shop or middle man/ reseller received a knife that bend, knife that not properly install on the handle, etc. They should send them back or try to repair it if they could. I once received a knife with a poorly Install handle. I try to keep it and thinking about changing the handle but will cost me more money. It's a brand new knife, so I decide to return it to the seller and then the seller returned it to the knife maker.

Last edited:
Back