The Greatest Sharpening Stone in the World

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried the India combo stone in 8x2 and I liked it but my OCD needs 8x3x1 so I ordered the bench stones. They’re 1/2” thick so I’m going to need to glue some together. Hopefully I can get some kind of glue to work with the oil.

They certainly finish quite a bit higher than their grit rating would imply. I ordered the 3 India bench stones: coarse, medium, and fine; and the Crystalon coarse. Im going to glue the coarse 120 grit to the India coarse 150 grit.

Anyone use the Crystalon Coarse? Im hoping it is a noticeable step faster cutting than the India Coarse. If not, I’m going to need to buy another, faster stone.

I tried the India combo stone in 8x2 and I liked it but my OCD needs 8x3x1 so I ordered the bench stones. They’re 1/2” thick so I’m going to need to glue some together. Hopefully I can get some kind of glue to work with the oil.

They certainly finish quite a bit higher than their grit rating would imply. I ordered the 3 India bench stones: coarse, medium, and fine; and the Crystalon coarse. Im going to glue the coarse 120 grit to the India coarse 150 grit.

Anyone use the Crystalon Coarse? Im hoping it is a noticeable step faster cutting than the India Coarse. If not, I’m going to need to buy another, faster stone.

You know they also come in an 11" by 3" version that fits in a tri-hone. Crystolon coarse is faster and coarser and slightly more friable than an India coarse. I prefer them to something like SG120 or Debado for thinning Monosteel knives. The crystolon is a lot harder on cladding in terms of scratch pattern and much more prone to loading up with swarf when dealing with cladding. My next very coarse stone will probably be bonded diamonds of some sort.

Last edited:

Yep, agree with all of what @stringer said about the Crystolon.

I wish they made the crystolon coarse/fine india combo stone.

I only see medium crystolon/fine india combo stones.

But the coarse crystolon, and fine india are the two best norton stones they make imo.

I'm not a huge fan of the fine side of my crystolon, or the coarse side of my india.

You know they also come in an 11" by 3" version that fits in a tri-hone. Crystolon coarse is faster and coarser and slightly more friable than an India coarse. I prefer them to something like SG120 or Debado for thinning Monosteel knives. The crystolon is a lot harder on cladding in terms of scratch pattern and much more prone to loading up with swarf when dealing with cladding. My next very coarse stone will probably be bonded diamonds of some sort.
Venev 100 is looking like it'll be my new favorite coarse stone.

Yeah. Joe calton uses. Or at least used to use silicon carbide powder for his oil stones.

I only see medium crystolon/fine india combo stones.

But the coarse crystolon, and fine india are the two best norton stones they make imo.

I'm not a huge fan of the fine side of my crystolon, or the coarse side of my india.
I still prefer Medium Crystolon to Coarse India, it’s more friable/resistant to glazing and just feels nicer when thinning. It’s much closer to the Coarse than the Fine in behavior.

I still prefer Medium Crystolon to Coarse India, it’s more friable/resistant to glazing and just feels nicer when thinning. It’s much closer to the Coarse than the Fine in behavior.
I don't actually think I've tried the crystolon medium actually.

If its closer to the coarse. Then thats good at least.

This worked really good. Thanks to whoever said to leave them out in the sun to let the oil melt and pour out.

IMG_7728.jpeg

IMG_7729.jpeg

IMG_7730.jpeg

IMG_7731.jpeg

My stones are pretty old so i'm not sure how they stack up to today's stones, but I don't use the coarse Crystolon near as often as the medium in my Im-313's. It's almost as fast as the coarse.

I do love Norton oilstones. My favourite single stone at the moment is an IC11 India/crystolon combo stone. Fine India is an excellent feeling stone and leaves a fantastic edge. Probably my favourite stone around 400 grit. Crystolon is also excellent for coarse work and my go too for thinning or serious repairs. I really wish they had wider options. A wider IC11 is my dream stone.

I’m just gonna have to get one of these… The ones I have are terrible at dishing out…

Back