The Greatest Sharpening Stone in the World

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should be able to find all of them in 8x3 (I had them myself) and some also in 12x3 (or something close anyway, I can't remember the exact measurements, I still have some put away as they hardly got any usage at some point, being actually too big to move around with).

You should be able to find all of them in 8x3 (I had them myself) and some also in 12x3 (or something close anyway, I can't remember the exact measurements, I still have some put away as they hardly got any usage at some point, being actually too big to move around with).
Wow lol 12x3 is giant!

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Norton-Combination-India-Stone-P69C25.aspx
the one we've been talking about:
  • 8" x 2" x 1" Stone: Norton Item No. IB8, Norton Part No. 61463685565
it seems there is also a bigger one, but there's less selection on ebay:
  • 11-1/2" x 2-1/2" x 1" Stone: Norton Item No. IM2, Norton Part No. 61463685851
another interesting tidbit:

"The Coarse India is 150 grit and the Fine India is 400 grit. Please see our Norton Grit Chart for more information."

another interesting tidbit:

"The Coarse India is 150 grit and the Fine India is 400 grit. Please see our Norton Grit Chart for more information."

This is probably quite close In my experience. Though ANSI / CAMI / JIS conversions are quite tricky in terms of edge finish, particularly when you start throwing hard, vitrified oilstones into the mix. A Norton Fine India can finish a fair bit higher than that depending on how you use.

PXL_20220301_002120782.jpg

got mine. spent a few extra dollars and sprung for a 1998 NOS one because made in USA. why not.

it was $33 all in.

how can i tell if this thing's oil soaked? it doesn't feel oily. is it super obvious?

how can i tell if this thing's oil soaked? it doesn't feel oily. is it super obvious?

I was actually about to comment on this... I was going to say to that it didn't look like it was oil-filled. But then I've noticed on the side of your box it does say 'pre-oiled'. India stones don't seem to be as greasy and oozy as oil-filled Crystolons, but I'd probably recommend try to get some of it out at least. If you don't have degreaser to hand then soaking for a while in very hot water + dishwashing detergent will help, might need to do it a few times though.

Even if you are planning to use with oil - I personally prefer to get the oil out anyway, as filled stones can have a slightly weird, slick feedback. If I'm using a coarse stone I like to be able to feel that it's doing its job!

I must also say that I didn't anticipate the enthusiasm, and willingness to try new things, when I posted this thread.

And congratulations to those that have gone and bought one. Though they might be a bit different to what people are used to, I'm fairly confident that people will like. When you use them it's quite apparent how good they are at what they're intended for :).

I never noticed any wierd effects from it being oil soaked. Like I said I tend to use oil (wd 40) on mine. ,before that I used mineral oil, and before that i used windex. All good options. I tried with water, and I wasn't crazy about it.

I would rather use water than oil every time, but in the case of the India stone, oils just work so well. That and the hard ark I have.

On paper it would seem like a reasonable jump: medium India is ~55μm if you believe that Wicked Edge chart, and GS500 is 29.4μm if you believe Shapton's excessively precise labeling.

Not sure what this means exactly, so I'm wondering if maybe the jump doesn't quite work in practice.

[Just remembered about this... sorry for the delay!]

So this is the first time I've really looked at scratch patterns from the Norton Medium. I only spent about a min on each side, but did it with reasonable pressure to mimic the material removal from thinning, which I assume was probably why you asked... (?)

Here are my stones, Norton Medium India and SG500. And for anybody who's interested below is the stamp that the older Indias had, it's a Tiger's head in a circle.

IMG-5686 (1).jpg

IMG-5685.jpg

This is the finish with water. Don't ask me why these stones do this, but it's going pretty mirror like, with the scratch pattern over the top:

IMG-5760.JPG

And here's oil on the other side - not so mirrored. This is a pretty fast stone whatever way you spin it, but it's even quicker with oil:

IMG-5761.jpg

Now I knew the Norton Medium was able to put a pretty decent working edge on a knife in no time at all, but I hadn't expected the jump to the SG500 to work that well - I thought the scratches from the Norton to be a little too deep to work out easily. But actually the SG500 has done quite well here; this is the side of the blade I used water on the India for, and tried to use the SG at a different angle so you could see what was happening. And doesn't look to have many of those long acute angle scratches from the India left. Maybe it's just covered them up very well, but even looking in person quite closely I can't see them.

IMG-5762.JPG

---

While I had the Medium out I took the opportunity to sharpen with it as well. This is a factory setting (i.e. blunt and needing an edge sharpened onto it) Tosa blade, and took about 3 mins. It's actually rather a good kitchen knife edge, it certainly finishes finer than it's usually grit rated at.

(Both knives are soft steel clad Aogami 2.)

Looks really good. Did you use water on the stone?

Yup, I didn’t bother trying to degrease it. Just squirted some water and got to work. The water just sat on the surface at first but the sharpening seemed to open it up and the water started soaking in more.

It was really nice to not have to worry about either wearing out an expensive stone or dishing an expensive stone. Definitely something mentally freeing about using a $20 stone 😜

Yup, I didn’t bother trying to degrease it. Just squirted some water and got to work. The water just sat on the surface at first but the sharpening seemed to open it up and the water started soaking in more.

It was really nice to not have to worry about either wearing out an expensive stone or dishing an expensive stone. Definitely something mentally freeing about using a $20 stone 😜

From the look of some of these stones, and people's descriptions I think perhaps newer ones might be pre-loaded differently, or with different stuff. Good to know that they don't really need degreasing to use with water.

Here's an interesting little one (for @stringer @KingShapton and the handheld fans) that I'd slightly forgotten I had...

It's an India Coarse and Fine coming it at about 150 x 40mm. I assume these stones were probably sold too, but I believe they were also used by Norton as little corporate gift things, as well as product samples for retailers. Conveniently stamped rather than inked, so you'd never forget who'd given it you:

IMG-5768.jpg

IMG-5684.jpg

From the look of some of these stones, and people's descriptions I think perhaps newer ones might be pre-loaded differently, or with different stuff. Good to know that they don't really need degreasing to use with water.

There might be oil inside, but I rubbed the surface with my fingers and they came away clean (and the stone felt dry) so I just shrugged and threw water on it.

@cotedupy man. You have some cool old norton stones. I especially liked that medium with the tiger stamp.

Ah cheers! I just found a better picture of another stamped one I have, which is a Fine (with a Washita underneath before I made it into a combi).

A72F9E3E-FFB4-4E86-B5D5-2875FBEA3B28.jpeg

Looking at it again - it's the same Tiger head logo as on @sansho 's 175 anniversary edition above. With the text reading: 'India Oilstones Sharp and Quick'... well quite.

---

Good to hear you're a fan too! And I'd be with you - I do prefer them with oil.

I must also say that I didn't anticipate the enthusiasm, and willingness to try new things, when I posted this thread.

And congratulations to those that have gone and bought one. Though they might be a bit different to what people are used to, I'm fairly confident that people will like. When you use them it's quite apparent how good they are at what they're intended for :).
It's fascinating. Whats old will be new again.

Couldn't let you all have all the fun with the Nortons. Got a course India.

Just got it so comments not based on much.

Likes.
No slurry in normal use so no haze above the contact line.
Faster in bevel setting than the 220 stones I have.
Feels better than you would think for a course stone. Does not feel like any water stones I have.
Hard.
Biggest like. The edge is very crispy for a stone in the low 100 grit range.

Dislikes.
Skaty on hard carbon ( 65+ rockwell )
Oil.

For me the whole oil thing doesn't work. Luckily the stone seems to work with water. That said I have no idea if this will cause it to glaze or dull early.

For conditioning I tried a 140 diamond plate. As some have said, its too smooth and slows the stone way down. I also needed to set the bevels on some new knives fresh out of the forge and the high rockwell steel ( 65 ) at 90 degrees did crack the abrasives making the stone fast again. Maybe that's another way of dealing with it rather than loose sic.

Thanks guys for inspiring me to try this stone.

B25D14FC-270A-4118-9D17-B3AA990D3EF6.jpeg

Last edited:

Likes.
Feels better than you would think for a course stone. Does not feel like any water stones I have.
Hard.

Dislikes.
Oil.

For me the whole oil thing doesn't work. Luckily the stone seems to work with water. That said I have no idea if this will cause it to glaze or dull early.

For conditioning I tried a 140 diamond plate. As some have said, its too smooth and slows the stone way down. I also needed to set the bevels on some new knives fresh out of the forge and the high rockwell steel ( 65 ) at 90 degrees did crack the abrasives making the stone fast again. Maybe that's another way of dealing with it rather than loose sic.

View attachment 168073
I'm glad you like the stone!

For steels 65+ might the Norton Crystolon coarse be an idea? Similar price range, hard-bound SiC, also works with water instead of oil, that might be a solution for you?! The Crystolon dishes slightly faster than the Norton India, but still slow compared to Wasserstein...

With both stones (India and Crystolon) the surface has to be reconditioned sooner or later, maybe you can then put loose sic powder between the two stones and rub them against each other?! Only for conditioning the surface, not for flattening. See the discussion on flattening with the "3 stone method".

Likes.
Hard.

Dislikes.
Oil.

View attachment 168073
For your use, I'd suggest a Crystolon.

Likes.
Hard.

Dislikes.
Oil.

View attachment 168073
For me the whole oil thing doesn't work.
I would like to suggest glycerin instead of oil. @Skylar303 posted,’I use water soluble glycerin/water mix when using stones that say to use oil, since I've moved away from 'oilstones'.

I originally avoided oil, tried laxative mineral oil, ‘ho hum’, then tried a light glycerin and must say, much nicer feedback and stone became more alive. Used on a slate and surg ark. Nice cleanup too.

Last edited:
Back