The knife abstinence thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Danny

Sorry about that pineapple pizza thing
Reaction score
I’ll probably hang for this 😂 But I made a deal with a fellow knife friend to keep April free of new knife purchases (used of new knives)

So I thought, why not have a special place where people who wants to keep off buying new knives could post what they are looking at, and we all could tell them how big of an a** they are for choosing that particular knife and why they should keep off.

I’ll go first… I want a new Heldqvist WH.

Let the flaming begin

IMG_8524.gif

Man I feel this thread so hard. A recent eddworks buy last month, but the one that @Homechef has on BST is tempting me so bad. but I'm going to Japan next month and I just need to have some damn willpower before that trip

Let alone the fact that I still have 2 knives that I bought last year (TF Denka and JKI Tangetsu suminigashi) still awaiting strategic reveal to the wife

That said, she does really like the Shindo nakiri that I bought last year so maybe more rectangles are on the menu? 🤔

Man I feel this thread so hard. A recent eddworks buy last month, but the one that @Homechef has on BST is tempting me so bad. but I'm going to Japan next month and I just need to have some damn willpower before that trip

Let alone the fact that I still have 2 knives that I bought last year (TF Denka and JKI Tangetsu suminigashi) still awaiting strategic reveal to the wife
You don’t need another EddWorks. They’re all the same, and who can really say they need two from him anyway 🤷‍♂️

I am hoping JNS gets some 210 Bloomeries with the extra Kanji on the left side. Rather than having the entire preamble on one side.

But also... the current ones discounted are definitely tempting!

I really want either an Itsuo Doi Homura Kogetsu 210 Gyuto, or a Hatsurokoko Yorokobi 210 Gyuto, but damn they are expensive. I'm going to probably be liquidating some of my kitchen stuff that I don't use as much in order to afford em :)

I am hoping JNS gets some 210 Bloomeries with the extra Kanji on the left side. Rather than having the entire preamble on one side.

But also... the current ones discounted are definitely tempting!
Not worth it. It’s just a pimped out Mune - save your cash. You have better cutters anyway

I really want either an Itsuo Doi Homura Kogetsu 210 Gyuto, or a Hatsurokoko Yorokobi 210 Gyuto, but damn they are expensive. I'm going to probably be liquidating some of my kitchen stuff that I don't use as much in order to afford em :)
Selling kitchen stuff you don’t use that often, to buy knives you use even less is a poor decision. Don’t.

Selling kitchen stuff you don’t use that often, to buy knives you use even less is a poor decision. Don’t.
What about selling kitchen stuff i've basically never used? I have a blender that i never even took out of the box just... taking up space. Also some of the money would inevitably go towards getting better replacements for the things I *do* use

What about selling kitchen stuff i've basically never used? I have a blender that i never even took out of the box just... taking up space. Also some of the money would inevitably go towards getting better replacements for the things I *do* use
That is an exception. Anything that you buy that is still in the box should be sold as soon as you can get around to it. Still boxed household items are an abomination.

Neither of those knives are any better than, nor substantially different from, the knives you already have. They will not add to your life in any appreciable way. You’ll feel a momentary rush when you click “Complete Purchase” and when they arrive, but after that it’ll just be money down the drain that you could have spent on something meaningful that will give you lasting memories.

awaiting strategic reveal to the wife
Ooft this hits close to home.

I’m on thin ice already this month after nuking our countertop space with a new stand mixer. Not sure how to break the news that two customs are ready for dispatch…

Hold on.....I like this idea. 3 knives into March, 0 sales. Motivation to stay clean in April.

Quickly checking to see what other hobby or rabbit hole I can start researching for April. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back