The New KS Inspired Mizuno Tanrenjo 240mm Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That kanji is very cool.

Thanks for posting your thoughts and photos. This one is not quite what I was looking for. I'm giving up my reserve for a KS inspired Mizuno honyaki with magnolia handle. Contact Koki directly if you want to buy it; I believe the price is just north of $1,200 USD.

Finally got around to buying batteries for my scale. Mine rings in at 266g (9-3/8 oz).

Wow wonderful knives!
Can we group some of us to give another order? Batch orders can get price break?

I agree that it doesn’t really remind you of the KS. It is Mizuno’s interpretation of a KS. The new blue #1 sanmai, on the other hand, is more KSish.

'Interpretation' is very loose word :rofl:
tho I agree they look wicked.

Upside I see is the length...I love mizuno but they are always short.

regular mizuno white#2 honyaki at a proper length would be oh so sweet... the ks inspired one doesnt really tickle me but i havent handled one.

I wonder if koki can order them like this?
with say 245 or 250 cutting edge?

IMG_0978.jpg
Not seeing anything here, Huw.

I'm having trouble posting pics at the moment

regular mizuno white#2 honyaki at a proper length would be oh so sweet... the ks inspired one doesnt really tickle me but i havent handled one.
to clarify i was only referring to the honyaki version which i still believe says nothing like KS to me. however when i got to try the san mai version i fell in love with it right away and had to have it. here is the kicker, it was the grind that sold me on it, not the profile.

Ditto. My full prep is a bit different than yours, though. Say, 4 carrots, a couple onions, and some sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts... :) But man, is my life improved with this tool. Mine came kinda thick, but after significant thinning it’s bomber. It’s got a full, stable patina now, too, which seems to make it just glide through everything. I’m convinced that I should buy only full carbon from now on just for the eventual nonstick coating.

Well. Super easy to touch up. Around 6 edge leading strokes on an Aizu today and it's good as new. Great bite.

@panda, I think maybe I wasn't spending enough time opening up the Aizu before use before. Now it's consistently awesome, and I have you to thank for getting me to try it again. Btw, I just noticed "You have to sharpen Jigane, not only edge. The black slurry from Jigane is important." on Watanabe's page of Aizus. Interesting.

yeah, its super important for harder stones to sharpen some jigane. it acts kinda like a nagura somehow. then when you have enough swarf and mud (but theres not much mud cause its hard) then you can just sharpen the hagane but with greater speed. my tsushima is like this.

Reactions: ian
Back