The Oyster Thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of the best oysters Down Under can be had at a place called Get Shucked. It's on Bruny Island in Tasmania in a great spot with awesome views.

Their byline is "Food for Love". Although, last time I had two dozen oysters there, a few of them didn't work.
“I once had a dozen oysters. Only seven of them worked.”

Some of the best oysters Down Under can be had at a place called Get Shucked. It's on Bruny Island in Tasmania in a great spot with awesome views.

Their byline is "Food for Love". Although, last time I had two dozen oysters there, a few of them didn't work.
Lowkey been wanting to go to Tasmania as much as Australia. If I promise to go straight to Taz, will you spare me the drop bears?

My guess is the more proper discussion here is good oyster is good, but what do people put on it.

I like almost all oysters as long as fresh, but just with red vinegar/onion.
Lemon is good on any and all oysters.

For the larger, more briney southern oysters I like just a little dollop of homemade cocktail sauce (not the bottle ketchup trash) and a splash of Crystal hot sauce. A local oyster farmer makes a real herby jalapeño mignonette that's killer. I only use crackers on the super oversized ones coming out of Galveston/TX that are a bit visceral to knock back out of the shell.

On the more delicate, sweeter, cold-water oysters I like a light, simple mignonette.

Are the Bluff seasonal ? I'm going to make it to NZ some day like to visit Tasmania too.
Yep, when it's cooler, in Fall and Winter. It's the season now, but I haven't had any yet this year and need to correct that. They're actually somewhat hard to find not pre-shucked unfortunately, there are one or two restaurants in Wellington that do it but they tend to run out each night. Supply is pretty limited, and I think I heard they're more perishable when kept live than other species. Bluff oysters are actually wild, which is kind of cool.

For sweeter more mild oysters - lemon only

For brinier and minerally oysters - horseradish and tabasco

This is the way
This sounds good, I tend to go with lemon only but I should try tailoring my approach.

Edit: I think it depends on the beverage pairing too. With the right wine the oyster can be best with nothing on it.

I've actually had very little wine with oysters. I could see like a minerally sauvignon blanc working well, but I have 15 years of conditioning that forces me towards the lightest, shitttiest beer as the proper oyster beverage. Like how the ocean calls to newborn turtles man, I can't help it.

If I'm slurping oysters I want a PBR or a crispy Coors Light. Same with crawfish

Last edited:
Honestly, I think Long Island Blue Points are one of the best bang-for-the-buck foods out there. I’ll take them with beer or wine. They’re scoffed at by some for being the Budweiser of oysters, but whatever.

Then again, I still love Humboldt Fog even though it’s embarrassingly out of fashion.

Honestly, I think Long Island Blue Points are one of the best bang-for-the-buck foods out there. I’ll take them with beer or wine. They’re scoffed at by some for being the Budweiser of oysters, but whatever.

Then again, I still love Humboldt Fog even though it’s embarrassingly out of fashion.
the only Humboldt Fog I’ve had made me cough up a lung and eat a boxful of donuts.

been using liquid from different ferments as a base for oyster condiments. the saltiness is certainly not needed, but if it is funky with interesting flavors, just add acid and shallots and you might just have an interesting and sitter simple dish right there.

there are oysters i rather have as they are, of course. (but some people put mayo and ketchup on burgers …)

Shucking oysters on the boat salty oyster brine all you need. I remember oyster & crab parties large grill plate over coals. Pots of steamed blue crab & oysters in shell raw & cooked a little. Beer was consumed by adults Schlitz & PBR in VA. Things you remember as a kid. Uncle had peach orchard home made peach ice cream hand crank with ice in wood bucket. So good brain freeze from eating too fast.

To me, the best way to eat oysters is raw, with a few drops of lemon juice. Another option that works really well is to use a few drops of ponzu sauce. Oysters that have lots of other stuff added to them, such as smoked salmon, or caviar, or whatever tend to get lost in the additions, so I'm no great fan of that. If I must dress them up with something, say, for presentation, I'm careful to be really subtle in terms of texture and flavour.

As far as I am concerned, cooked or fried oysters, such as oysters Rockefeller and oysters Kilpatrick are ruined oysters.

To me, the best way to eat oysters is raw, with a few drops of lemon juice. Another option that works really well is to use a few drops of ponzu sauce. Oysters that have lots of other stuff added to them, such as smoked salmon, or caviar, or whatever tend to get lost in the additions, so I'm no great fan of that. If I must dress them up with something, say, for presentation, I'm careful to be really subtle in terms of texture and flavour.

As far as I am concerned, cooked or fried oysters, such as oysters Rockefeller and oysters Kilpatrick are ruined oysters.
You do need an acid. Lemons work; I prefer mignonette.

Agree re: cooked oysters. What a tremendous waste.

Last edited:
A few months ago, a friend invited me to his house in Galveston to do some gulf fishing. He mentioned the supposedly "dead clams" that littered the concrete walls of the walkway (which rose from the water), and out of curiosity, I bashed a big one into a fishing net using a long broomstick. Shucked it open to find that it was an oyster, and ate it because I had already killed the thing. I didn't like oysters before this, but perhaps because of the freshness and time of year, it was sweet and actually didn't taste like a seawater-filled balloon. I collected a few more to give to my mother, who really likes oysters. On an unrelated note, we initially caught nothing but 2 frog-like fish after 5 hours, but not 20 minutes after using an oyster as bait, we caught a red drum and 2 more froggy fish. Those unknown fish actually turned out to be Oyster Toadfish, so yeah, go figure.

Back