The trouble with tubers...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spoiledbroth

Reaction score
I've always had a bit of an issue with potatoes in that I usually don't understand which potatoes are best to use for which recipes.

Which potato is best for scalloped potatoes (potato gratin I believe for the benefit of our european friends)?

Which potato is best for creamy mashed potatos? Pomme puree?

etc.

What I'd like to know I guess is what potatos do you like to use for which recipes. Help me make better potatoes.

Potatoes fall into two important categories that impact the outcome of your dish: starchy and waxy (plus a category that lies somewhere in between those two).

Starchy: Like the classic Idaho or Russet, these potatoes are (obviously) high in starch and low in moisture. They're fluffy, making them great for boiling, baking and frying, but they don't hold their shape well, so they should be avoided in dishes like casseroles, gratins and potato salads.

Waxy: Like Red Bliss or New Potatoes, these have a low starch content and are often characterized by a creamy, firm and moist flesh that holds its shape well after cooking. They're typically great for roasting, boiling, casseroles and potato salads.

All-Purpose: These potatoes have a medium starch content that fall somewhere in between the starchy and waxy potatoes. They're a true multi-purpose potato, and therefore can be used for just about any cooking application. A classic example is the Yukon Gold.

Quoted from: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/02/types-of-potatoes_n_4877050.html

I've never had a problem using russets for gratin. It's what I've always used without any troubles.

I've never had a problem using russets for gratin. It's what I've always used without any troubles.

+1 My family didn't know any better so that what's we always used. I think they work because you don't disturb them while cooking and you only bake them until they're just tender.

I love potatoes, but I'm only going to cover fries. I'm super picky with them.

I only use potatoes that are extremely fresh and with the highest moisture content. I have tried tons of different kinds of potatoes, often I have not been satisfied with the results.

Those that I use are called "ruby" and "desiree" and have pink/purple skin. They feel soft on the touch and make soft/no noise while you peel, they are also easy to cut (even with a knife that is a bit thick) I pick them middle sized, not too big or too small. Approx 3.5 oz a piece.

They almost drip when you peel them. I hate dried up/not cooked enough inside, fries. I like them crispy outside, and creamy, fluffy inside. Not dry. I don't rinse the fries. I wash whole potatoes, peel, rinse again, cut and fry.

I know it goes against the grain of usual belief (using bintge like varieties with high dry content), but try and thank me later.

I fry in beef tallow, with 1/4 peanut oil to soften it, for my fries. I put approximately 1.5 lb of potato for 8.8lb for fat/oil mix. Never overload, its a recipe for greasy and tacky.

I preheat at 320F, drop the freshly cut potatoes (not thin) in there, turn down to 265F, wait 15-20 minutes depending on cuts size and oil freshness (old oil needs less time) then i turn it back up, wait a minute and pull up the basket shaking it vigorously for 30 seconds.
I leave it to drain 1 minute hanging on top of the hot oil then i put the basket in cool place. I turn the fryer all the way down to avoid degrading the oil.

After 15 minutes of wait and while I'm usually taking care of the meat, i pull up the fryer to 375F (max) ; once reached i put the basket in there for 1 minute, no more ! Then get it out and shake it like the first time, let drain 1 minute, turn fryer off, plate and add salt with a tiny coffee mill for extra fine grain and best dispersion.

Gives me the best fries. Be careful not to over brown/dry them on the second bath, no more than a minute is plenty at theses temps.

My advice would be, to try, and try more. Till you get that perfect result. Took me a year to get my fries all right and i know i still have margin for improvement/consistency. Choosing the good produce first is really important.

@Roger, +1

PressureCooking potatoes for mash makes them fluffy, airy and a little dry no matter the type of potato. As for everything else I cannot help you but using a PC for potatoes before mashing or baking I cannot recommend enough. Brown idoho is my least favorite to use for mash. Whether smooth, chunky, creamy I just don't like them but I've never gotten them fresh, nor any potato for that matter, I wonder if that makes a large difference?

For a true Robuchon potato puree you should use yukon gold (or la ratte if you're lucky), but if they need to hold during an entire service we would use idaho. Equal parts riced potato to butter by weight with a touch of boiled cream and plenty of salt.

Back