The wonderful yanagiba

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

podzap

Reaction score
300mm blade, nice and long. I use it for slicing fish, roast beef, prepping for beef jerky, smoked brisket... I normally touch it up with a ceramic stick: six strokes on the bevel followed by one on the back to clean up the burr.

I originally thought to buy a sujihiki, but now I have noticed that there really is no need.

Sounds like your having fun with your yanagiba.

You might want to check out knifesharpeningplaylist. Jon from JKI has good video on how to sharpen a Yanagiba. Those blades can get unreal sharp on a polishing stone.

Sounds like your having fun with your yanagiba.

You might want to check out knifesharpeningplaylist. Jon from JKI has good video on how to sharpen a Yanagiba. Those blades can get unreal sharp on a polishing stone.

Sounds great, I will be sure to check it out.

I primarily use my yanagiba (Gesshin Hide) for sashimi, sometimes for thin slices of other boneless protein.

However, I recently got a Gesshin Ginga Suji from Jon for things like rolls (where the wide blade and single bevel of the Yanagiba would cause steering or damage to the nori) or a galantine for example.

I was using a laserish Gyuto prior, but the extra length, thinness and low blade height of the Suji make a big difference. So I really like having both. And it gave me a great excuse to get another knife (as if we need one).

Back