Thinning a CCK slicer?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gareth

Reaction score
Hi All. I have had a CCK 1302 and 1103 slicer for a few years now. I regularly sharpen them as I find they lose that last 10% level of sharpness pretty quickly. I rarely let them get to the point where they require anything more than a few minutes on my Suehiro-Rika 5000 stone. Once in a while I will go back and give them a little attention on my 1200 King stone. I sharpen them at about a 15 degree angle. A couple of years ago I played a little with thinning them - just using my 1200 stone - and I tried a slightly more acute angle. I got a lot of little micro chips but nothing that was not easily corrected. Since then I just stick to about 15 degrees and no thinning ever. These cleavers are so thin anyways, do they really even require occasional thinning? Thanks!

CCK steel is not very hard (Rockwell hard), and therefore should not be very hard (difficult) to thin.
I reprofiled the edge on a CCK 1912 stainless, and then thinned and sharpened it. Not a problem.

Hi All. I have had a CCK 1302 and 1103 slicer for a few years now. I regularly sharpen them as I find they lose that last 10% level of sharpness pretty quickly. I rarely let them get to the point where they require anything more than a few minutes on my Suehiro-Rika 5000 stone. Once in a while I will go back and give them a little attention on my 1200 King stone. I sharpen them at about a 15 degree angle. A couple of years ago I played a little with thinning them - just using my 1200 stone - and I tried a slightly more acute angle. I got a lot of little micro chips but nothing that was not easily corrected. Since then I just stick to about 15 degrees and no thinning ever. These cleavers are so thin anyways, do they really even require occasional thinning? Thanks!
Picture of the choil shot might help us to comment..

CCK steel is not very hard (Rockwell hard), and therefore should not be very hard (difficult) to thin.
I reprofiled the edge on a CCK 1912 stainless, and then thinned and sharpened it. Not a problem.
Thanks for your response. Of course mine are carbon not stainless so likely harder steel. Although that was not really the question and as I mentioned I have thinned them in the past. The question is if the carbon variants really require any thinning and perhaps if it is even recommended given they are already so thin behind the edge. Would be great to any input from anyone who has experience doing this with either 13XX or 11XX series.

Thanks

Mine hardly has any change in thickness going up the blade. 0.6mm@ 5cm, 1mm @10cm, and 1.1mm@ 20cm. You could thin behind the edge a bit if it feels significantly thick. I'd expect the work to be fairly quick.

Of course mine are carbon not stainless so likely harder steel.
Probably slightly harder, but also less abrasion resistant - the carbon version will be easier to thin. I have both CCK 1912 and 1303, but there's no need for direct experience with a knife to know you need to thin it regularly if you don't want to suffer a gradual loss in cutting performance.

Probably slightly harder, but also less abrasion resistant - the carbon version will be easier to thin. I have both CCK 1912 and 1303, but there's no need for direct experience with a knife to know you need to thin it regularly if you don't want to suffer a gradual loss in cutting performance.
What is the stainless of the 1912 like in use?

What is the stainless of the 1912 like in use?
I'm a home cook so the edge retention is good from my perspective. I finish it on an Ikarashi and the toothiness probably helps. Seems like better edge retention than Misono moly, but not as fine grained - even finished on the same stone you can feel a tactile difference when slicing. Also, I was surprised to find out it's almost semi-stainless.
09A92BAD-D2A4-4767-9DE8-A01E8E226685.jpeg

From leaving chopped garlic on it a bit too long, maybe 20 min

I don’t thin mine per se but do blend the bevel to take the shoulders off.

It’s plenty thin already and by the time it gets thicker you’re in duck cleaver territory so time to replace

Back