Thinning a Yoshikane gyuto (and a question on aesthetics-- pls don't hate)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bookgeek97

Reaction score
So I really enjoy my yoshikane 240 skd gyuto -- and this includes its aesthetics.

I'm thinning the sucker for the first time. I think the fool-proof (easiest) way to do this is to take advantage of the wide bevel and just slowly work it from there by laying it flat on the stone. Does that sound about right?

As frivolous as this is, I've been holding off on this before going down the point of no return on a $300+ knife, and I'm curious how it looks after thinning: can somebody show off their pics of the knife after thinning? It's one of the most visually appealing knives I have (dimple/hammered + sandblasted finish) and have just been dragging my feet.

Thank you!

A picture would help us know which Yoshikane model you have, and what the finish is like. But:

1) you’ll never replicate the sandblasted finish.
2) also, that’s ok.
3) there’s likely some convexity on the bevel. You can either do what you’re suggesting, or try to thin at two different angles to preserve some convexity. Look up “hamaguri sharpening”.

A picture would help us know which Yoshikane model you have, and what the finish is like. But:

1) you’ll never replicate the sandblasted finish.
2) also, that’s ok.
3) there’s likely some convexity on the bevel. You can either do what you’re suggesting, or try to thin at two different angles to preserve some convexity. Look up “hamaguri sharpening”.

Thanks Ian.

I have the hammered finish from Epicurean Edge here Epicurean Edge: Japanese and European professional chefs knives

1) I figured as such: what grit then do most folks find themselves finishing at "behind" the edge (the wide bevel portion); Anybody push it to a mirror finish?
2) I know I know ;) <sheepish facepalm> It just looks too good to be tampered with.
3) Ah, thank you-- I see Jonathan from JKI has some info, I will will start there and google around more.

1) I would go with something like King or JNS 800 and followed by some muddy mid-grit synthetic stone (maybe JNS stnthetic red aoto) or maybe even natural stone (don’t have a tip here)

Back