D. Martell Thoughts about less expensive Martell knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much more would say a burnt chestnut be over a plain ho, if they were available in bulk?

Plain ho isn't something I'm interested in so I never asked for pricing on that or for the burnt chestnut because of the plastic ferrules. If I use Japanese handles I'd greatly prefer to use magnolia over ho but I'm not against the burnt chestnut if buffalo horn is available.

FWIW, these handles aren't inexpensive, just a lot less expensive then the total it takes to make handles myself.

Plain ho isn't something I'm interested in ... If I use Japanese handles I'd greatly prefer to use magnolia over ho..

Apologies as I haven't followed this thread. However, I wonder if there's some misunderstanding.

'Ho' wood as it is usually called here is a kind of Japanese magnolia; 'magnolia obovata' my translator states. I don't really know about it and you can certainly check it out, or there might be a wood expert here that could chime in.

I imagine there are various magnolia species, including what we normally term 'ho' for handles. The kanji for it is 朴 and I'm not sure of the pronunciation. I've also heard the wood called ホオノキ 'honeki' from which it seems 'ho' is a short form. In other words, 'ho' and 'magnolia' are one in the same.

Not sure if this is a common mix up, but would be quite funny if people went for 'magnolia' over 'ho' handles due to the low reputation that ho handles have for many KKFers. A good ho handle is just fine for me, even it's not the most eye-catching.

Good question!

I always thought, and I may be wrong here, that ho referred to the cheap light weight rough balsa like wood and that magnolia was the denser smoother wood we normally see paired with buffalo horn.

Maybe I'm confusing iichi (sp?) wood, chestnut and magnolia?

Maybe I'm confusing iichi (sp?) wood and magnolia?

Iichi (yew) is a lot more orange or rust in colour, and I don't think very common. Sorry, as I was supposed to post a photo or two of various J handle woods in the 'knowledge' forum. Will get to it.

Iichi (yew) is a lot more orange or rust in colour, and I don't think very common. Sorry, as I was supposed to post a photo or two of various J handle woods in the 'knowledge' forum. Will get to it.

Yes do that....I need some help! :D

I think you'd be crazy to not offer it on your knives....Ryan

FWIW, these OTS handles are still around somewhere, and I was thinking about selling them cheap rather than having them collect dust. Question is just whether people find them attractive enough...

Stefan

Well guys and gals, it looks like there's going to be an option for lesser priced Martell knives coming and it's a good one. I'm actually so friggin' excited about this that it's hard to keep it in - but I will - until it's done and ready to launch. I will say that I believe this option is going to be a game changer for both myself and my future customers. :thumbsup:

FWIW, these OTS handles are still around somewhere, and I was thinking about selling them cheap rather than having them collect dust. Question is just whether people find them attractive enough...

Stefan

Those handles are really nice and even if not super flashy they should still sell I would think.

This is great news. Getting an awesome product (of any kind) for a better price is always nice, if it doesn't mean that anyone else is getting shorted as a result.

And people's preferences vary, but I often find the more elaborate, high end handles to be a bit much for my tastes. A good quality but simple option is perfect.

If the custom handles remain an option for those that want them, it sounds like everyone wins.

Ok folks, it's time to tell you all about our newest offering. :)

James of Knives and Stones has come forward with a solution to my problem and is now supplying me with pre-made wa handles that I will be installing on my knives when applicable. What this does is allow for me to turn over a new knife much quicker to save on labor which then can be passed onto you, my customers, in the way of a lower price point on my knives.

James has varying levels of handles using different material components so the pricing will fluctuate depending on what is being used. HERE you can see the first knife completed (and FOR SALE) using one of James' more higher end pre-made handles.

I hope that this will be the first of many and wish to thank James for his help and support with this situation. :doublethumbsup:

Great move Dave and one that you would think makers like Kato and Shig would also copy. I can't imagine paying the price for one of their knives with a D shaped handle.

Next up will be a 270mm sujihiki with a handle from James done in ebony/black buffalo horn with a slim white G10 spacer....pretty slick! :)

I haven't planned on making small gyutos although lately people have been asking about them an awful lot. I'll give it some thought.

I think some smaller gyuto's in CMP would be nice too, sorry panda:D. Wives, significant others, or older children feel more comfortable with smaller knives and the CMP is more forgiving if not washed/dried promptly.

x 1.5. CPM-154 is very spouse- and company-friendly, and also great when you have a little distraction always running around who want to take mommy or daddy away frmo the cutting board to go play for a bit.

Was only x1.5 because 225 would be short enough. 210 starts to feel like a petty. Good for the pros who have to work in small spaces, but I'm, being selfish here :)

Next up will be a 270mm sujihiki with a handle from James done in ebony/black buffalo horn with a slim white G10 spacer....pretty slick! :)

Just finished mounting up the handle on this one, it'll likely be up for sale in two days time.

Great move Dave and one that you would think makers like Kato and Shig would also copy. I can't imagine paying the price for one of their knives with a D shaped handle.

Shigs D-shaped handles are leagues above the standard D handles out there.

Back