Thoughts on Kawachi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robenco15

Reaction score
Came across this yesterday and am really into it. Looks incredible. Was initially thinking I’d want a smaller knife than my 150mm but I think I may want this as one between my 150mm and 210mm gyuto. It just looks so good to me. Seems to be taller than my 150mm petty which I like. I’m finding my 150mm petty to be smaller and smaller lately.

https://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/kawachi-kasumi-kiritsuke-gyuto-180mm/

They look great. I just wish they were in a steel that's not white 2 and I'd try one out.

Also interesting to note that maxim says the maker was a student of Shiraki, when I've read that Nakagawa was his only student. I wonder what that's about.

They look great. I just wish they were in a steel that's not white 2 and I'd try one out.

Also interesting to note that maxim says the maker was a student of Shiraki, when I've read that Nakagawa was his only student. I wonder what that's about.

I have no specifics on Kawachi, but I know that there were other students at Shiraki as Ms. Mori (who did the Kono MM) trained there.

Don’t like White #2?

Great looking taper from what is posted on Maxim's insta. I'd have a hard time choosing this over Mazaki though, unless Kawachi also has stone-finished bevels.

Quite a bit shorter (height) than the Kawachi.
I saw that. I think my 150mm petty may be closer to that height and don’t love it.

My 210mm Gesshin Kagekiyo also has a height of 45mm like the Kawachi 180mm petty, so that’s interesting. Figured a shorter knife would be shorter in height.

I saw that. I think my 150mm petty may be closer to that height and don’t love it.

My 210mm Gesshin Kagekiyo also has a height of 45mm like the Kawachi 180mm petty, so that’s interesting. Figured a shorter knife would be shorter in height.

There's a LOT of blurred lines when comes to length/height ratios.

As I said, I like my 180's but I think that Kawachi is too curved for my personal tastes. Pretty cool though.

Just a little lacking in edge retention in my experience, but I mainly have experience with Y. Tanaka white 2 which lots of people say isn't his best. Just a little biased.
I notice that some with my Kagekiyo, but then again I compare to my white #1 petty and that doesn’t seem fair.

There's a LOT of blurred lines when comes to length/height ratios.

As I said, I like my 180's but I think that Kawachi is too curved for my personal tastes. Pretty cool though.
Fair point. Definitely a lot of curve.

I love 180 gyutos. My Akifusa AS and Wat Pro are among my favorite knives!
Do you also have a 210mm knife? Thinking more on this, the Kawachi would come in around 7.2” (185mm) with a height of 1.75”. My 210mm Kagekiyo Gyuto is 8” (maybe a touch under) and the same height at 1.75”.

Trying to wrap my head around actually needing a 7” knife. My Terayasu Fujiwara 150mm petty is around 5.75” so that makes sense as a petty under the Kagekiyo. I could see the 150mm not getting much use once I get the 180mm though, but how much use would the 210mm get? What a silly problem to have.

Do you also have a 210mm knife? Thinking more on this, the Kawachi would come in around 7.2” (185mm) with a height of 1.75”. My 210mm Kagekiyo Gyuto is 8” (maybe a touch under) and the same height at 1.75”.

Trying to wrap my head around actually needing a 7” knife. My Terayasu Fujiwara 150mm petty is around 5.75” so that makes sense as a petty under the Kagekiyo. I could see the 150mm not getting much use once I get the 180mm though, but how much use would the 210mm get? What a silly problem to have.

I have/have had several 210's. Right now I have one 210 gyuto and one 240 suji on my active roster. That is contrasted by one 165 petty (slim profile), a 165 nakiri, a 180 nakiri, a 180 gyuto, and a 180 bunka. I got really into 180's and then went back to trying out some 210's just to be sure of what I liked. I find myself largely coming back to 180's.

I primarily cook for two and have a smaller kitchen so 180's work well for me. A 180 nakiri or gyuto and a longer suji make a nice combo. I like the nimbleness a 180 offers and for my tasks and style don't find them lacking too often.

That said, you do lose some rocking capability as you shrink down. The "lever" is just shorter and there's no way around that. Again, I generally don't have issues here but a lot of folks like to get that heel up in the air and clear a larger volume or taller item. You also, in general, give up some weight but I tend to see this more as a benefit. Another personal preference thing.

Does that help?

I have/have had several 210's. Right now I have one 210 gyuto and one 240 suji on my active roster. That is contrasted by one 165 petty (slim profile), a 165 nakiri, a 180 nakiri, a 180 gyuto, and a 180 bunka. I got really into 180's and then went back to trying out some 210's just to be sure of what I liked. I find myself largely coming back to 180's.

I primarily cook for two and have a smaller kitchen so 180's work well for me. A 180 nakiri or gyuto and a longer suji make a nice combo. I like the nimbleness a 180 offers and for my tasks and style don't find them lacking too often.

That said, you do lose some rocking capability as you shrink down. The "lever" is just shorter and there's no way around that. Again, I generally don't have issues here but a lot of folks like to get that heel up in the air and clear a larger volume or taller item. You also, in general, give up some weight but I tend to see this more as a benefit. Another personal preference thing.

Does that help?
Huge help. Thank you!

Oh my bad. Thanks.

Edited to add that’s Gyuto vs. petty then though, right? Not really apples to apples. Although I guess if you are just looking at the lengths offered by the two makers that’s what you have.

Yeah I was just referencing the Mazaki that was linked higher up in the thread. Agree that it's not a straight comparison.

Oh my bad. Thanks.

Edited to add that’s Gyuto vs. petty then though, right? Not really apples to apples. Although I guess if you are just looking at the lengths offered by the two makers that’s what you have.
Oh my God. I read it so quickly I saw the 180mm and assumed it was a petty. That exolains the height! It’s a gyuto. Hmmm. Trying to decide if that changes anything.

Attachments

• 0122F220-C15F-4688-9F49-822E72240016.jpeg
    0122F220-C15F-4688-9F49-822E72240016.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Back