Thoughts/reviews new KS

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you would like that knife, a lot, based off of the preferences we have talked about. I had the standard and liked it but not enough to keep it. I think the extra thick would add just enough meat to the grind to make it stand out. I've been waiting too. Just speculation, of course.

We can hope for one ;) it would be a mini KS for me.

Always wondered what supposedly set the KS apart from something like the Gesshin White #2 (other than the profile of course)

Always wondered what supposedly set the KS apart from something like the Gesshin White #2 (other than the profile of course)

I don't have mine yet but I would say that the grind is probably a fair bit meatier, even on the new ones, than on the Gesshin Ginga (I have a 210 and had a 240). At least that is what I hope it will be like when it gets here. I don't need another laser...

I keep reading that people regard the new ks to be more or less the same as the old ones in terms of grind. My new one is much thinner than all the other ones I’ve used. It’s just a little thicker than a typical laser around the spine and upper portion of blade but pretty darn thin around the edge.

I think that KS is particularly THIN,
hows the measured spine thickness?

Mine from the new batch is 250 heel to tip, 48 tall at heel, 165g. Approaching laser, but not quite laser. So far, I'm really enjoying it. It's my first KS--think it lives up to "the hype." At least most of the hype, perhaps not all of it.

@labor,
Looks like a really sticky, uninspired grind, mega-factory-ish. But looks can be deceiving. well?

Well blueway listed the spine at 2.6mm. I weighed it and it was at 165 grams.
Compare that to a ginga 270mm (actually 261mm) that weighs 162 grams, they’re in the same ball park.

The one I looked at was 2.85mm spine which seems dead-on spec for the older ones (~2.9 on average).

Distal taper was:

2.88 at handle
2.85 at choil
2.32 at halfway (tip to handle)
0.77 at 10mm from tip :rofl:

The one I looked at was 2.85mm spine which seems dead-on spec for the older ones (~2.9 on average).

Distal taper was:

2.88 at handle
2.85 at choil
2.32 at halfway (tip to handle)
0.77 at 10mm from tip :rofl:

Yeah I just checked my email from blueway. The original listing had it at 2.6 at the spine, but also stated the weight as 175 grams(but like I said earlier it’s 165 grams) blah blah blah.

@wbusby I’m happy with it. It’s thin and more about pure cutting ability, and don’t find it to be overly sticky. No more than New gengetsus or akebono atleast. The question is whether or not I’ll enjoy using it in 1-4 monthes from now when the honeymoon is over. I think I will though.

Any thoughts on edge retention yet? Also, I've yet to see a good patina pic of I've of these. I know someone has a bit of color...please show some more pics.

KS retention is miserable😀. Panda had plenty of pics of his nasty KS patina.

Was hoping they'd done a better job on the ht with this batch but doesn't sound like it. Yeah Panda let's see that overworked KS... imagine it can't be more than 40mm at the heel by now:wink:

Any thoughts on edge retention yet? Also, I've yet to see a good patina pic of I've of these. I know someone has a bit of color...please show some more pics.

There is also protective layer that needs to come off with acetone.

Yeah, agree w panda. I’m not complaining per se when I say edge retention is miserable. Steel gets so sharp so quickly, I love working with a fresh edge.

To all those who are having some issues with their tracking: check the tracking number on both sites, Japanese and your home postal service. The Austrian says, my package is in customs, the Japanese says nothing since the 12th...

To all those who are having some issues with their tracking: check the tracking number on both sites, Japanese and your home postal service. The Austrian says, my package is in customs, the Japanese says nothing since the 12th...

Japanese customs or Austrian customs? If I search via USPS it basically says it is not in their system. It would be weird that it is sitting in customs in our home nations without movement. You would think that they would move at different rates.

Japanese customs or Austrian customs? If I search via USPS it basically says it is not in their system. It would be weird that it is sitting in customs in our home nations without movement. You would think that they would move at different rates.

i checked mine and it says:

"January 13, 2018, 6:00 am
Processed Through Facility
CHUBU INT CONTAINER 1, JAPAN"

nothing else follows.

Mine from the new batch is 250 heel to tip, 48 tall at heel, 165g. Approaching laser, but not quite laser. So far, I'm really enjoying it. It's my first KS--think it lives up to "the hype." At least most of the hype, perhaps not all of it.

Same here. I’ll admit it, I bought into the hype. I thought to myself “how could a knife that means so much to others do nothing for me?” Glad I took another chance.

What does the grind on the left side look like, is it convexed or is it flat like the Sakai Lasers? You can easily tell by using a dough knife/scraper, placing it at a 90 degree angle to the blade, put a light source behind it and see where the light shines through.

What does the grind on the left side look like, is it convexed or is it flat like the Sakai Lasers? You can easily tell by using a dough knife/scraper, placing it at a 90 degree angle to the blade, put a light source behind it and see where the light shines through.

I'd sum it up the following way:

60/40 grind
convex both sides
RHS is convex (machine rule)
LHS is flat-ish, but not flat (machine rule)

Heres salty 's classic KS vs Cucumber video>

[video=youtube;oPaA1pf_gS0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPaA1pf_gS0[/video]

I'd sum it up the following way:

60/40 grind
convex both sides
RHS is convex (machine rule)
LHS is flat-ish, but not flat (machine rule)

Heres salty 's classic KS vs Cucumber video>

[video=youtube;oPaA1pf_gS0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPaA1pf_gS0[/video]

Thanks much, have been wondering if this changed with the latest batch of knives.

Back