To petty or not to petty?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Tanaka, 150mm in blue#2 and vg-10. Couldn't live without them. Both take a fantastic edge, hold it for a long time and sharpen easily.

Thanks for all the informative responses gents.

You know, I'm guilty of never doing meat fabrication other than trimming off excess fat and maybe some minor portioning. I almost always buy chicken, beef and pork pre-cut ready to go :O.

So I do surmise a petty will be a welcome addition at home. My current knives are all stainless and would like to keep it that way for the time being(western handles as well, but I'm open to Japanese handles too). Not quite ready to jump onto carbons just yet.

My budget is $120 max. I have a few on my radar:
- Tojiro DP 150 or 180
- Fujiwara FKM 150 or 180
- JCK Carbonext 150

I still am learning to sharpen on waterstones, so I think it would be a great benefit if one had a sharp and long lasting edge from the factory. Any thoughts or other petty recommendations?

Forgot to reply to this. Don't have the specific knives but I do have a Carbonext gyuto (240 mm) and plenty of VG-10 knives so I might shed some light on Tojiro DP vs Carbonext:
-The Carbonext sharpens easier... quite a lot. Far easier to get a great edge on than VG-10
-VG-10 tends to be better in the edge retention department though; it might not get an edge as good and it might take you more to get there, but it is better at holding a somewhat decent edge for a longer time.
-The semi-stainless on the Carbonext is pretty much non-reactive. No rust or any other issues at all either when you don't leave it laying around in gunk for hours. It will over time take a really minor patina (especially near the handle where you pinch the blade).
-The larger Carbonext (don't know about the petties) came with a pretty decent distal taper; Tojiro DP usually does not.
-The larger Carbonext definitly needed thinning right out of the box (it was a bit thick behind the edge). This might also be the case with the DP though.
-Carbonext is officially an asymmetric knife. Actual geometry isn't really very different from a normal flat ground knife though (at least on mine).
-Carbonext is usually summarized as 'nice blade but crap fit & finish'...but on mine it was actually pretty good. No flaws, although the spine and choil were unpolished (but so are those on the DP).
-They're also blasted for completely crap edges out of the box. Mine was actually quite decent (without the extra sharp option) although maybe a bit on the coarse side.

In the end I guess the knives are very similar, with a bit more distal taper on the Carbonext and maybe minor differences in profile. Biggest difference is in steel. Much easier sharpening on the Carbonext, somewhat better edge retention on the DP.
Maybe some others can chime in.
Something to consider though; you refer to a $120 budget but most of those are much cheaper (which is fine). But for $150 you could also get an Ashi/Gesshin Ginga... something to consider. That'd probably be a step up from all 3 knives you mentioned (which are all in the same price calls and don't differ incredibly much). Also, in the price class you're looking at all factory edges are never going to be really great...

I have 2 165mm gyutos, and prefer them to a petty for most board tasks. I like the extra height for knuckle clearance and scooping things off the cutting board. For cleaning up tomatoes, supreming an orange--non-board things--I like the petty better.

Thanks for all the help guys and gals.

I was going to pull the trigger on a Carbonext, but was offered a like-new western Konosuke HD 150mm petty from an awesome forum member at an even more awesome price.

Can't wait for it to arrive. :D:D:D

Crap... I would have loved to get that offer (I'm sort of looking for a laser-ish petty myself). You're a lucky man; have fun with it!

I use my 120 daily, and love 170-180s. Amazingly handy knives.

I have the Konosuke HD2 240 Gyuto but my Konosuke 150mm Petty is the GS steel that actually holds a nice edge. I love the feel of the 150mm Pettys and in addition to my Konosuke I also have the T-F Nashiji 150mm Petty which is an awesome little cutter.

Thanks for all the help guys and gals.

I was going to pull the trigger on a Carbonext, but was offered a like-new western Konosuke HD 150mm petty from an awesome forum member at an even more awesome price.

Can't wait for it to arrive. :D:D:D

That's a nice petty I think you will like it.

Back