Tojiro DP?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you directly compared a CarboNext to a DP?

no sir i haven't. but i have read on many threads on other forums that many people say that it is a better choice. so in that consensus, i concluded that it is. ok i'll just stop butting in and being such a know it all even if i don't really know a lot.

I happen to have used both a tkc (carbonext is supposedly a clone of this) and tojiro dp. Both are nice knives, but I like the steel and geometry of the tkc a bit more. Stuff seems to stick less to it and it holds a keen edge a bit better than the tojiro.

Thanks James... I wonder if the CN is worth the extra $60?

INTERESTING DEVELOPMENT:-

Had seen a thread where someone mentioned the FKM suji has something odd going on, and that they didn't like it [see first pic looks almost like single bevel R-hand knife?]. A reply said they had a normal suji style FKM and it was fine [see second picture showing normal suji blade-face].

Img626.jpg

fkm2.jpg

so I emailed Koki asking about this large R-hand bevel that was not on any other suji I had seen, and could he explain it.

Here is his reply:

"We list the Single Bevel edge style of Sujihiki (called “Danbiki”) on our web site. If you prefer the regular Sujihiki, we can sell that style of Sujihiki at same price."

So to add confusion - DANBIKI ??? I have googled this and you just get lots of pictures of men who I assume are all called Dan, and their motorbikes. Not a knife in sight.

Anyone ever heard this word before? {this almost deserves a new thread!} It sounds a bit suspect, no? Would you get the "danbiki" or the regular one?

R

Measurement differences:

Fujiwara FKM Regular Sujihiki / "danbiki" sujihiki[as on site]

Blade Thickness: 2.2 / 2.4 mm
Blade Width: 39 / 40 mm
Total Weight: 172g / 191g

Anyone have an opinion on the Masamoto VG? There is a 270 suji in B/S/T at about $40 off retail price.... does anyone think this knife is worth twice the price of an FKM?

Is it worth posting a "looking for a <$100 suji" thread in B/S/T, or will people think wanting a knife for $100 is just too cheap ?

R

Thank you for the Danbiki data, Robert. They confirm what I was afraid of: in order to create such a bevel you need more steel than the normal sujihiki offers.
$40 off retail price doesn't mean that much if the retail price is the Masamoto's...
They are just terribly overpriced. Please note the handle is no longer made of pakka wood, but of POM, and the steel is a moly and no VG-10.

Ok thanks Bernard - sounds like a silent vote for the FKM.

I think this thread has died off!

Having started my j-knife life on a Tojiro DP 270 gyuto, I'd recommend against it for a suji. It feels pretty terrible on the stones, it's thicker behind the edge than you want it to be, it feels like a tank, and, somehow, my scales shrank. All of the others discussed would be a step in the right direction.

Back