Took the plunge, initial thoughts

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinP

Reaction score
Got my first stones a few days back and started sharpening. Wound up going with the King KDS 1000/6000 to start. From what I've read it's a good stone for the price and my bank account is hurting from this new found knife addiction :).

Here's my redneck sink bridge. Did the job until I get around to making something nicer:

sharp1.jpg

Started on my old Forschner, since I was least concerned about messing that up. I had watched a lot of videos prior to jumping in and took it slow to get the technique right. As far as finding the right angle it seemed to come naturally. I'd draw the edge and adjust the angle down until it slipped a hair, then adjust back until it felt like the point of the most drag/resistance.

The Forschner came out way sharper, so I moved onto the Fujiyama White #1.

sharp2.jpg

The Fuji seemed to be shedding way less metal, but was also way less dull :). But, it developed a burr super quick. Prior to sharpening it was having a little trouble with pepper/tomato skin etc. After sharpening, no problem at all. So I feel I did well as both came out significantly sharper than when I started. Far from being a master but off to a good start.

I used a cork to remove most of the wire burrs, then stropped on the stones. Not sure if that's the best technique, but it appears to have worked?

P.S. Is all white #1 as stinky as my Fujiyama? Cut some fresnos and a I almost gagged lol

Last edited:
The smell should settle down once it develops some patina.

That's the stone I started with and from there,I traveled into more expensive stones and even a few naturals. I still use the KDS 1K/6K from time to time simply because it was my first stone and so I am a little partial to it. I don't find that it is a bad stone either.I rather like the feel of it and it does get the job done.
Now for the sink bridge.I simply used a 2x4 that lays on top of the sink by about an inch on each end and then screwed two smaller pieces of wood to the underside to wedge the bridge on the inside of the sink so it wouldn't move.I went to my redneck barn and found some redneck 2x4's laying around in my redneck scrap pile.
Enjoy!

That's the stone I started with and from there,I traveled into more expensive stones and even a few naturals. I still use the KDS 1K/6K from time to time simply because it was my first stone and so I am a little partial to it. I don't find that it is a bad stone either.I rather like the feel of it and it does get the job done.
Now for the sink bridge.I simply used a 2x4 that lays on top of the sink by about an inch on each end and then screwed two smaller pieces of wood to the underside to wedge the bridge on the inside of the sink so it wouldn't move.I went to my redneck barn and found some redneck 2x4's laying around in my redneck scrap pile.
Enjoy!

*Like*

Yeah, I read and watched videos, and the consensus seemed to be that the King KDS is a "good" stone. I have no complaints, but nothing to really compare it to.

And that's my plan for my Redneck Sink Bridge version 2. I don't see any benefit in spending $100+ on something so simple.

Nice job! Freehand sharpening is great fun and IMO the best way to sharpen a knife once practiced.

re: your burr removal question, I like to ensure complete burr removal by employing two techniques in tandem: lowering pressure immensely when finishing, and by stropping on unloaded denim after sharpening.

Lowering pressure to featherlight levels while finishing is the one step that took my sharpening from "nice, this is sharper than i started" to some pretty screaming levels of sharp : )

https://imgur.com/PJSZKyr

https://imgur.com/a/fS6Eu5s

https://i.imgur.com/QWwGLbc.mp4

Got my first stones a few days back and started sharpening. Wound up going with the King KDS 1000/6000 to start. From what I've read it's a good stone for the price and my bank account is hurting from this new found knife addiction :).

Here's my redneck sink bridge. Did the job until I get around to making something nicer:

View attachment 50892

Started on my old Forschner, since I was least concerned about messing that up. I had watched a lot of videos prior to jumping in and took it slow to get the technique right. As far as finding the right angle it seemed to come naturally. I'd draw the edge and adjust the angle down until it slipped a hair, then adjust back until it felt like the point of the most drag/resistance.

The Forschner came out way sharper, so I moved onto the Fujiyama White #1.

View attachment 50893

The Fuji seemed to be shedding way less metal, but was also way less dull :). But, it developed a burr super quick. Prior to sharpening it was having a little trouble with pepper/tomato skin etc. After sharpening, no problem at all. So I feel I did well as both came out significantly sharper than when I started. Far from being a master but off to a good start.

I used a cork to remove most of the wire burrs, then stropped on the stones. Not sure if that's the best technique, but it appears to have worked?

P.S. Is all white #1 as stinky as my Fujiyama? Cut some fresnos and a I almost gagged lol

here are some useful vids imo to learn sharpening
personally i do jon first for rough work and then finish with bobs swiping technique pretty much

Nice job! Freehand sharpening is great fun and IMO the best way to sharpen a knife once practiced.

re: your burr removal question, I like to ensure complete burr removal by employing two techniques in tandem: lowering pressure immensely when finishing, and by stropping on unloaded denim after sharpening.

Lowering pressure to featherlight levels while finishing is the one step that took my sharpening from "nice, this is sharper than i started" to some pretty screaming levels of sharp : )

https://imgur.com/PJSZKyr

https://imgur.com/a/fS6Eu5s

https://i.imgur.com/QWwGLbc.mp4

Thanks!

I did quite enjoy it, it's very "therapeutic", for lack of a better word.

Thanks for the burr tips, I will try the denim next time. I believe I was very light on the finishing strokes, which may be why I was getting what I'd call very good initial results.

And your vids? WOW .. I have a little ways to go :D

Great stuff.

Inexpensive stones like King are not actually cheap...they use good abrasive. Better stones last a bit longer, but the grit is grit...all good.

The 6k side of the stone can be used as a touch up strop...every so often.

Great stuff.

Inexpensive stones like King are not actually cheap...they use good abrasive. Better stones last a bit longer, but the grit is grit...all good.

Thanks! I have a 5k Shapton on the way from (thanks @PalmRoyale !), which I'm thinking is going to be a good fit for touch up work. Will see when it gets here and post up my thoughts.

curious to see how you'll compare the 5k shapton to the 6k king.

Great stuff.

Totally agree, my King 6k gets loads of use and like CutFingers said, use it for touch ups as well.

Redneck™ sharpening sink bridge version 2.0 is done :D

sb1.jpg

sb2.jpg

Sharpening is becoming really addictive. It's very meditative and relaxing. Need to find some more dull knives.

Side note, it's the iron and not so much the hardened steel, that's stinky reactive.

Well, I'm slowly getting better at this, and I can feel the sharpening addiction starting :D. I find the process very relaxing and therapeutic. And it's rewarding when you see the results of your work. It's my Zen time.

I modified my process a bit and strop longer and lighter on both stones. Getting a much more refined edge now. Next up I want to add some stropping supplies. CTTG has a 5 piece set with a base, balsa and hide strops, and 1 and .5 micron pastes for $55. Thinking of getting that as it will give me a chance to feel different materials. Unless you all have better suggestions in the $55ish price range. I'd probably be willing to increase the budget a bit.

I guess you know you have a problem when you purposely dull a knife just to practice sharpening :D. I dulled this cheap VG10 cleaver on my patio to the point a baby could play with it. Then I took it to the stones. 1k, 6k, 8k and stropped on newspaper. It weel cut and it weel shave.

sharp3.jpg

sharp4.jpg

Great job, and I love your sink bridge! I sharpen sitting because I am about 6'8" and the top of the sink is a bit low to be comfortable - maybe I should make a raised one to give it a try? With that said, I've grown accustomed to sharpening sitting down, so maybe I shouldn't fix what ain't broke.

How do you feel sharpening a nice simple carbon steel like White #1, vs stainless?

Great job, and I love your sink bridge! I sharpen sitting because I am about 6'8" and the top of the sink is a bit low to be comfortable - maybe I should make a raised one to give it a try? With that said, I've grown accustomed to sharpening sitting down, so maybe I shouldn't fix what ain't broke.

How do you feel sharpening a nice simple carbon steel like White #1, vs stainless?

Thanks! The sink bridge works great, best $0 I ever spent. And yeah, at 6' 8" I'd imagine sharpening at the sink would be a bit hard on the back :)

I don't feel a huge difference between the steels, but the white 1 I have is only 61 HRC. It's definitely harder, but not extreme. The angle differences between the knives takes some work to get right. Seems to come naturally finding the angle, but I have to take it slow and steady to maintain them until I build the muscle memory.

Latest posts

Back