Trading customized knives.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In my introduction post I mentioned that I'm quite fussy about knife handles and what I find comfortable to use. As a result of that thread, I looked into handle replacement. I think I've finally decided which knife to get, but I was wondering, if I replace the handle,because I don't get on with the stock handle, would that make the knife more difficult to trade, due to it being less authentic? I'm not buying the knife with the intention of trading it at any point, but I think it is a factor I should consider in case I want to trade the knife at any point, either because I don't like the blade or just because I want to try other things.

Many folks chose to change, swap, alter handles around here ... I don't believe it necessarily impacts any trade but you should not expect to get more money for your aesthetic choices (IMO) ... stock handles are often sub-par (IMO) but too a lot of folks on here 'bling' handles are a bane of existence ... but - they will buy the knife, knock/cut/grind off the offending handle and put a stock handle back on ... if (big if) they want that knife ... I would save/keep the stock handle for exactly this purpose if it isn't too much of a bother ... authenticity around here is generally (not always) reserved for the material, heat treat, grind, etc. rather that the 'shoes' that are being worn.

My $0.02 ... or for our friends across the pond ... my two pennies worth!

Thanks, hopefully I won't feel the need to change the handle and I suspect the knife in question wouldn't be easy to trade anyway, because it's not something that I think is particularly popular, but it's good to know for future reference.

Depends if it’s done well. I see a lot of “custom” handles where the proportions look odd. Also where CITES timber is used the ability to sell overseas is limited. Though the rules were relaxed slightly recently for small pieces

I'd imagine, if I were to get a handle replaced, I'd want the proportions to be somewhat similar to the original and probably go for a stabilized wood. I don't know if that makes any difference to CITES rules.

Last edited:
Depends on the knife.
And: try to keep the original handle (intact) just in case. If it’s a J knife the handle can probably just be knocked of without destroying it.

But even if it’s glued, some baking in the oven could enable you to remove the handle. Problem solved.

I'd echo what others have said above. I've seen a fair few stock handles on nice knives that are pretty pants tbh, so I doubt a re-handling is going to affect the value negatively.

I would say - if you're getting something re-handled that you may want to trade in the future, don't let them epoxy it in. (I epoxy most of my handles, but I wouldn't if I was making one for a smart knife for somebody else, as they're a feckin b*tch to remove.)

Depends on the knife, but I would say generally the rehandling would add value, assuming you get the new handle from someone who knows what they're doing. Say you buy a fairly inexpensive knife and rehandle it, if you decide to sell it you should at least get what you paid for the knife.

I have one where the handle is way more valuable than the actual blade

Depends if it’s done well. I see a lot of “custom” handles where the proportions look odd. Also where CITES timber is used the ability to sell overseas is limited. Though the rules were relaxed slightly recently for small pieces

Excellent point regarding material choices/CITES impacting selling ... devil is in the details ...

Depends on the knife, but I would say generally the rehandling would add value, assuming you get the new handle from someone who knows what they're doing. Say you buy a fairly inexpensive knife and rehandle it, if you decide to sell it you should at least get what you paid for the knife.

I have one where the handle is way more valuable than the actual blade

I agree with you but I have seen quite a few cases on B/S/T that the upgrade doesn't seem to fetch what I think it should and just want the OP to understand there is no guarantee of return for aesthetic choices ... just an opinion on my part ...

Also stevenStefano - care to share a pic of said knife? Would love to see it. Sorry to the OP ...

Last edited:
Speaking of B/S/T pricing. Many moons ago on other forums there was a rule of thumb followed for pricing.

75%+ value for common knife, used in good condition

50% value for handles and sayas.

Really sucks for resale, and many follow far from this ideal today.

Custom handles and sayas should be considered cosmetics for you to enjoy and not investments.

I suspect in my case it is more likely to devalue the knife, because I'd be messing with the aesthetics of the knife and giving it an untraditional appearance.

This is a mock up of the sort of thing I'd be likely to get done, if I don't get on with the standard handle.
Nakiri.jpg

To be fair, it could end up looking a bit better, this is just my messing around with a photo editor for a few minutes.

Back