Two sides, two different grits?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonneville Bill

Reaction score
Have any of you experimented with sharpening various steels by using say 1k on both sides and following up on only one side with 5k or 6k on the other? If yes, what was your goal and results? Thanks, Bill

Theoretically, I guess it could create slight steering in a 50/50, augment or attenuate steering in a asymmetrical knife, might just not be felt at all is more likely.

Practically, since you'll have to deburr what you do on one side on the finer stone, it may possibly result quite simply in a poorer edge than just finishing both sides.

The anecdotal thought I'd heard was that the 1k side would give the cut a ''toothy" feel while still cutting smoothly. Seems unlikely, but I'm not a professional sharpener.

Yeah I thought the goal was to somewhat imitate a Natural stone feeling. Don't think it will work out so well. What I would do, would I be inclined to that, would be to mix in some slurry of my finer stone with my 1K stone, after getting/flipping my burr. Whole refinement deburring process should yield sort of a mixed grit edge, but the basis would be solid. To experiment with perhaps, but I hardly see the point. Some stones like Cerax 3000/Ouka will yield you a fine edge with a lot of bite.

Not much help, but... There was a Japanese sharpener that finished his knives like this--higher grit on one side than the other. No idea who it was--but I remember reading this in the description of a maker Bernal was selling.

I believe that technique was attributed to Takayuki Shibata in marketing but I don’t have any more background than that or know what it’s supposed to accomplish. It occurs to me I could try it out and see

Apparently Shibata used to do 800 on one side and 8,000 on the other, but the grits have changed since.

Back