Underrated Knives/Makers

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ob-gym

Reaction score
What knife or maker do you guys feel doesn't get enough hype? What are we all missing out on? Why do you guys think the hype train passed them by?

I'll start - Masakage Shimo: VERY beginner UNfriendly knife stuck in a "beginner" brand

The Good
- Extremely good heat treat of White #2 by Yu Kurosaki - pleasure to sharpen with great edge stability/retention
- Killer grind, very well convexed for a thin blade
- Great feedback on the board for sanmai
- On sale yearly at Knifewear + CAD to USD exchange rate = great deal sometimes

The Bad
- Reactive as hell cladding
- More expensive than Yuki for same core steel, Yuki is also stainless clad
- Masakage is generally seen as a "gateway" knife brand, not much talked about on KKF
- Many people avoid paying the "damascus tax" and want simple cladding for max price/performance

In keeping with the Masakage trend I nominate the Masakage Koishi by Hiroshi Kato, very good all around gyuto, little reactivity, and nice handles.

I nominate Xerxes

These are incredible knives, 101% customisable, with an awesome F&F

They'd really deserve a bigger (or proper) hype

Gesshin ittetsu wh2 gyuto. Amazing profile. Really nice finish/polish ootb. Really well finished ho wood handles. Seems like so many people sleep on this line.

Tilman and Harner both do excellent work and seem to undercharge compared to other custom makers. Stephen Fowler as well.

Masahiro virgin carbon, much better than say the Misono Dragon and cheaper. I don't know any mass produced carbon knife in anything close to its price that performs as well..

I think the Takamura Uchigumo is not talked about here.

It's a truly first class knife, basically if you only had one knife for the rest of your life and it was an Uchigumo, it would be a life happily lived. It's that good, it really is.

Perfect grind and geometry as far as I'm concerned and god it looks good.

It's not cheap but it's definitely worth it. If you can ever get your hands on a 240, buy it! you'll see what I mean.

yoshikazu ikeda. I have owned a lot of knives over the years and his out perform almost everyone i have ever tried, this includes most of the ones you hear mentioned often around here.

I would not call Ikeda knives underrated, but rather less 'in' here on KKF.

I second the Masakage Koishi. My new nakiri (after smoothing out the bevels) is a great performer. But the status of the Masakage is probably because many vendors carru it, the price is rather resonable and they are made (forged) from pre-clad material (not a surprise thou, VERY few knifemakers forge-weld AS steel). But the forging work is nice and even, the handles are nice too, F&F is great. And if you put a little work into it, you will get a nice kasumi on them.

And let's not forget to mention Itinomonn StainLess. Some of the best grinds out there, excellent profile, F&F, performance. Price, in particular for the, 210 is a bargain. I think Maxim should bring more knives in that line (nakiri, santoku, longer petty or even honesuku)

I would not call Ikeda knives underrated, but rather less 'in' here on KKF.

I second the Masakage Koishi. My new nakiri (after smoothing out the bevels) is a great performer. But the status of the Masakage is probably because many vendors carru it, the price is rather resonable and they are made (forged) from pre-clad material (not a surprise thou, VERY few knifemakers forge-weld AS steel). But the forging work is nice and even, the handles are nice too, F&F is great. And if you put a little work into it, you will get a nice kasumi on them.

And let's not forget to mention Itinomonn StainLess. Some of the best grinds out there, excellent profile, F&F, performance. Price, in particular for the, 210 is a bargain. I think Maxim should bring more knives in that line (nakiri, santoku, longer petty or even honesuku)

Absolutetly second the Itinomonn StainLess. Judging on how fast these are sold on JNS and BST, it does not seem underrated in the KKF.

I would definately buy a longer Petty of the Itinomonn StainLess. I really miss the "Line knife" category in most offerings.

I nominate Xerxes

Tilman and Harner both do excellent work and seem to undercharge compared to other custom makers. Stephen Fowler as well.

Definitely not many customs in recommendation/discussion threads, but they're WAY out of budget for most people, so not too many people have tried them even compared to Kato and Shigs.

What makes a "hype-worthy" custom maker? The experience of working with them? The unique aesthetic that each smith develops? Performance gains over traditional Japanese blades?

Definitely not underrated, but on my short list for sure. Maxim seems to be eliminating knives from that brand - almost all the carbon options are gone. The selection is just very limited in general, what is going on?

Yoshimune, outstanding grinds and HT. He's a one man band so his production is low but so are his prices. His KU Stainless clad W#1 bunka is an absolutely hoot.

Very unique knife, never seen a finish like it. The price is really reasonable too. Do you have any measurements/choil shot to share?

Definitely not underrated, but on my short list for sure. Maxim seems to be eliminating knives from that brand - almost all the carbon options are gone. The selection is just very limited in general, what is going on?

Well - the maker may not be interested in the deal, or overbooked with orders from another vendors, etc. Or the knives did not sell all that well and Maxim is restructuring his offerings. Many possible reasons.

I would love to see a return of the iron-clad Itinomonn line. There were some beautiful KU pieces, including a very useful 210 petty/suji

+1 friend of mine as a 210 gyuto (tall, lot's of belly) and loves it. The KU is fantastic.

EDIT: I mean the knife is tall and has lot's of belly - my friend in question is actually a slim guy :D

Yoshimune, outstanding grinds and HT. He's a one man band so his production is low but so are his prices. His KU Stainless clad W#1 bunka is an absolutely hoot.

I really dig his aesthetics but never heard much hype about his work. Due to the low production, I can see how he'd easily be underrated.

I really dig his aesthetics but never heard much hype about his work. Due to the low production, I can see how he'd easily be underrated.

The word is the tip is special on his gyutos. I've yet to try one. Passaround anyone?

Masakage... as a beginner brand (for users, not collectors that is)?

Wonder if there is any relationship between the Shimo, the Fujiwara FKJ damascus, and Dictum 719112? Some similarity, certainly not identical...

Know I'm the bottom fisher, Blueway Japan Sakai Ichimonji blue steel core stainless Nashiji clad. With wooden oval handle cheap for what they are. Thick spine esp. near handle, thin behind the edge. Slightly blade heavy, excellent cutter.

Know I'm the bottom fisher, Blueway Japan Sakai Ichimonji blue steel core stainless Nashiji clad. With wooden oval handle cheap for what they are. Thick spine esp. near handle, thin behind the edge. Slightly blade heavy, excellent cutter.

Yeah, that's a true sleeper. I almost bit on the ichi handle ichimonji.

Imo, there's a bunch of "underrated" knife makers. I think underrated can have a different meaning based on perception (obviously). With that being said... Marko Tsourkan is awesome and not very talked about. Nakaya Heiji a saw maker from japan who also makes great wide beveled knives. Kagekiyo is great. Tanaka ironwood r2 is up there too even though alot of people own them, I still feel like they don't get the praise they deserve, truly an incredible knife.

He sold out of those, also the 240mm oval handle. Has one with Ebony octagon handle 240mm it costs more over 2 bills.

Imo, there's a bunch of "underrated" knife makers. I think underrated can have a different meaning based on perception (obviously). With that being said... Marko Tsourkan is awesome and not very talked about. Nakaya Heiji a saw maker from japan who also makes great wide beveled knives. Kagekiyo is great. Tanaka ironwood r2 is up there too even though alot of people own them, I still feel like they don't get the praise they deserve, truly an incredible knife.
I'm actually keeping an eye out for the mailman, a heiji should be arriving any minute.

Exactly why I started this thread, for some recommendations that don't include the usual suspects: Itinomonn, Wakui, Toyama/Watanabe, Ginga, Takamura, Kato, Shig, Konosuke, etc

Definitely interested in Kagekiyo, beautiful knife, but is it more than just a pretty face?

Masakage... as a beginner brand (for users, not collectors that is)?

Wonder if there is any relationship between the Shimo, the Fujiwara FKJ damascus, and Dictum 719112? Some similarity, certainly not identical...

For "enthusiasts", Masakage doesn't have much the mystique of one old Japanese dude in a mountain village dedicating his life to knifemaking - your Kato and Shigefusa. It's a line of knives designed to be marketable from the start, lots of different colors and fancy finishes to entice beginners. They're great performers and beautiful (Yuki and Shimo especially), but are too cheap and common to have much appeal to collectors and hardcore knife nuts.

Not sure about the others, but the Shimo is unique - it's not damascus at all, but a porous iron cladding that was pounded by a X shaped hammer head to make the pattern. No pattern welding at all, just cheap iron. Kurosaki Yu really has a great eye for design.

Sure it isn't a pattern weld? it's specified as a 6+6 layer suminagashi...

Some pattern welds are subtle until they patinize ... compare https://www.feinewerkzeuge.de/anryu.html ... got that one, you hardly see the pattern if freshly off a stone, but the patina intensifies it...

" Masakage doesn't have much the mystique of one old Japanese dude in a mountain village dedicating his life to knifemaking "

It does have the mystique of realistic but high class, traditional toolmaking for users, doesn't it? The whole "made in batches by passing along a handful of specialized artisans spread across town, in a way that still makes such methods practical today" narrative is sexy if you want good tools :)

Like the thread and the discussion but hard to pin down since everyones idea of the perfect knife differs... but we can try..

IMHO opinion there are a bunch of makers that are underrated, agree on most of what is said, masakage, fujiwara, heiji even toyama and others.. totaly agree on xerxes.. for non Japanese I like a lot of the new generation that are producing some exciting steel, treating, handles, etc. Haburn, Kayne knives (Greg), Desrosiers, Nguyen and the list goes on.... of knives that are really worth taking a close look... I know I am! :wink:

Now the real question is, what is underrated? Talked about or that the price is below what it should be? Sometimes different things... tend to catch up sooner or later.

The other thread I would like to see is what knives are overrated! Do we dare? 🙀

Back