Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this doesn't make sense to me.

no one drives faster than I do.

(more seriously if someone is going faster than me, my usual reaction is damn)
Reminds me of the time my sister got pulled over going 110 and she explained to my parents she was passing someone. My mother, “yes, you were passing everyone.”

Got a speeding ticket for going 15 under one time in central Oregon. A policeman pulled me over and said I was tail gaiting him. I was in a 4x4 in the snow, and he was in a dodge charger. He returned with a $200 ticket for "driving inappropriately to the conditions." It was total nonsense.

What is all this avocado hate? It's all about nailing the ripeness. Few simple pleasures are better than a perfectly ripe/fresh avocado with a hint of lime juice. Hummus vs. guac. is a hard one but I gotta go with guac. Some solid unpopular opinions tucked in here lol.

Last edited:
7lxxr5.jpg

Queso is better than hollandaise
Substitute queso for hollandaise on all your dishes that call for hollandaise
You could sub Queso for Hollandaise on an Eggs Benedict and guess what? It will still taste good. If you sub Hollandaise for Queso on Nachos it will be the most miserable dish you’ve ever eaten.
Queso prevails.
Your honor I rest my case.
Vegan queso > Hollandaise
I'm starting to get the impression someone doesn't like Hollandaise..... 🤔

Last edited:
When I was growing up we had fresh eggs & chickens. Fried chicken after church on Sundays was fond memory. Breakfast simple over easy fried eggs still like that.

When started working kitchens first experience with eggs benedict. Later had to make Hollandaise. For a while when would go out for breakfast would order eggs benedict it was class I thought & tasted good. Egg yolks, butter, lemon juice whisked to perfection good combination classic French.

Now back to over easy fried egg just how I like whites little browned turn off heat flip them only few seconds so yolks still runny
Season with trader Joe's 21 spice & ground pepper. Hash browns, grilled garden tomato, wheat toast.

Kiridashis are bad at everything.
Expensive kiridashis makes me question sanity of both the maker and the buyer
Cheap Kiridashi are actually pretty good if you enjoy making model kits, they are good at removing injection points. The expensive ones are more like pocket jewelry I suppose.

Kiridashis are bad at everything.
Expensive kiridashis makes me question sanity of both the maker and the buyer

they're quite good at their intended purpose, and I find them really useful for paper related tasks too.

if you try to use a western chisel as a pocket knife you will similarly have a bad time.

Unpopular opinion...

When makers give their knives' a name. Its one of the most lame ass things I encounter among my brethren. It's stupid as hell to name your creation after a Greek God or some weird Latin jumble of letters that required an older than dirt dictionary to look up.

Dumb. I don't care who does it.

a
Unpopular opinion...

When makers give their knives' a name. Its one of the most lame ass things I encounter among my brethren. It's stupid as hell to name your creation after a Greek God or some weird Latin jumble of letters that required an older than dirt dictionary to look up.

I call my gyuto Dennis

Unpopular opinion...

Just in case anyone stumbles upon my naming of Pyro D. Boomstick from @MSicardCutlery, I gave it that name. Not Matt. He named it "your knife". :)

Just in case anyone stumbles upon my naming of Pyro D. Boomstick from @MSicardCutlery, I gave it that name. Not Matt. He named it "your knife". :)
Everyone is allowed to do it. Just save it for dead last if you are ever to approach me and ask my thoughts about anything.

"...and at 246g I present to you Ilsildor, named after my favorite scoundrel!..."

In all honesty, I think it's hilarious, but people are dead serious.

If I sat in a Bob Kramer class and he named a gyuto after his favorite Norse legend I would have to cackle.

Edit: Maybe I should say, light hearted names allowed.

Its the really serious ones that make me snort when I read maker posts in forums or social media.

What is all this avocado hate? It's all about nailing the ripeness.
I agree. Avocados have a fifteen minute window between when they are a rock, and when they go brown and mushy. That’s why I usually have four of them around, at different stages, so I can reach over and grab a good one anytime.

Unpopular opinion...

My only carbon steel butcher knife is a Sir Lawrence

My only carbon steel butcher knife is a Sir Lawrence
I should be more specific.

Light hearted names, nicknames are totally fine to me.

I have a few friends on Facebook that name every stabby thing they make like its a drop from World of Warcraft.

Or maybe I'm just a too serious bastid.

Unpopular opinion...

You mean “Clandestine Incubus of the Chasm” is overkill for this??
037E02A4-4FD4-40A4-BC82-1FEF7F6AFE46.jpeg

Unpopular opinion...

When they name every piece, I cringe. There’s a guy who does some sweet wootz, but he labels himself an artist before he does a smith even though all he does is smithing. I have to cringe at the start of most of his posts. It’s like when pocket knife designers make every model have an Uber edgy name like talon or razor.

That being said, if it’s an occasional name for an extremely unique piece that isn’t typical for them, I’m ok with it, even when the names are silly serious

Latest posts

Back